Outdoor vs Indoor sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonichka

The Fly
I had always heard that outdoor venues are supposed to have much better sound. I have seen u2 indoors 3 times in BC place which is supposed to have horrid sound. I then saw them outside in Edmonton. My conclusion based on those shows is that A: It was WAY louder indoors. B: The sound was just as poor outdoors. We were sitting high up on Adams side. There were speakers pointing directly at us, so i dont understnad why it was so quiet or why it sounded so poor. Did we just luck out and have a poor mix that night? I realize they came in late an dmaybe didnt have time to soundcheck properly. I think it did get a bit better as the set went on, but maybe my ears only adjusted to the sound. Also do cities has noise restrictions on how loud a concert can be now? It was fairly quiet compared to many other indoor shows i've been to. I felt sort of alone singing along with no one else around singing. lol

I saw one Zoo TV and one Elevation show, indoors, and sitting in the rafters. These were areas (Maple Leaf Gardens and the Air Canada Centre respectively). Both of these venues were enclosed. The sound was horrible.

However....

Other enclosed areas where I was in close proximity and saw the band (Zoo TV, Popmart, Elevation, Vertigo). The sound was excellent.

Lastly..

Having been close proximity to the band and seeing them in Toronto, N.C. and Winnipeg..... I find the sound to be spectacular in these open stadiums. However sometimes the mix has Bono's vocal very loud.

During soundcheck in Winnipeg, I took a stroll to go get a coffee.... 6 min walk across parking lots. I was shocked how clear the noise travelled across such a great distance.

I think indoor sound quality is much, much better.

However, I enjoy the atmosphere produced by an outdoor concert, specifically during daylight. I don't know why, but I love it.

depends on the stadium, tbh. staples centre in la is hopeless for sound, and mt smart stadium is perfect, by all reports. no solid rule at all.

the indoor/outdoor argument is a myth, it depends on if they've soundchecked properly or not.

depends on the stadium, tbh. staples centre in la is hopeless for sound, and mt smart stadium is perfect, by all reports. no solid rule at all.

the indoor/outdoor argument is a myth, it depends on if they've soundchecked properly or not.

This. For any kind of venue, you can find plenty of examples of blissful sound and utterly atrocious sound.

And it's amazing the amount of times you hear an opener whose mix is dreadful (due to not getting a soundcheck) while the headliner (who soundchecked) has pristine sound. It can also depend on who's behind the mixing desk. I can think of one particular instance, where I saw a band three times at three different venues - both they and their opener soundchecked. The band I went to see had the best mix I've ever heard at a gig (with only minor differences between the three venues); the opener, who used a different soundman, were almost unlistenable at all three venues due to how bad the mix was.

This. For any kind of venue, you can find plenty of examples of blissful sound and utterly atrocious sound.

And it's amazing the amount of times you hear an opener whose mix is dreadful (due to not getting a soundcheck) while the headliner (who soundchecked) has pristine sound. It can also depend on who's behind the mixing desk. I can think of one particular instance, where I saw a band three times at three different venues - both they and their opener soundchecked. The band I went to see had the best mix I've ever heard at a gig (with only minor differences between the three venues); the opener, who used a different soundman, were almost unlistenable at all three venues due to how bad the mix was.

Sadly, i found The Fray just as good if not better in parts than u2. For EBTTRT Bono's mic was turned way down....

I've never had the pleasure of seeing U2 in the Xcel Center in St. Paul because they always play Target Center. Both are indoor arenas.
TC's sound usually sucks, although U2 has done a good job compensating for it. Xcel has very good sound for concerts. I've been there for about a dozen shows.

I know it varies by location, but I do think generally, you can expect better sound outdoors rather than indoors. Generally.

That said, I am really curious how TCF Stadium will be since it is the inaugural concert there.

As someone who knows a lot of people who tour and do sound, etc, it is exactly this, believe me!

I saw Vertigo indoors in 2005- sounded fine to me but I didn't pay as much attention to these things back then. It was definitely loud(i remember my ears ringing for a day or 2 afterwards).

360 in 2009 at Gillette Stadium was noticeably quieter and people complained a lot about the mix being off and not being able to hear well in the upper sections. Where I was(right by the soundboard night 1 and in the mezzanine, down field on Edge's side night 2), the sound was excellent if a bit too quiet. Seems to be they've kicked the volume back up to Popmart and Zoo TV levels, which in my mind is a good thing! I thought I was going to fall asleep at some points during the 2009 shows!

My brother just saw the Salt Lake show and is a tough critic when it comes to speakers, sound, etc. He said it was absolutely perfect, pounding loud, but clear as a bell and mixed perfectly for a band with U2's traits.

Seems to me the sound, like the show overall, has improved as the tour has gone on.

I saw U2 at the ACC and at Rogers centre in toronto. Both times in the GA and being that close it is always good. so i cant complain. I will tell you if there is a difference iwth the dome closed if the dome is closed this year for teh concert at Rogers center.

As someone who knows a lot of people who tour and do sound, etc, it is exactly this, believe me!

I saw Vertigo indoors in 2005- sounded fine to me but I didn't pay as much attention to these things back then. It was definitely loud(i remember my ears ringing for a day or 2 afterwards).

360 in 2009 at Gillette Stadium was noticeably quieter and people complained a lot about the mix being off and not being able to hear well in the upper sections. Where I was(right by the soundboard night 1 and in the mezzanine, down field on Edge's side night 2), the sound was excellent if a bit too quiet. Seems to be they've kicked the volume back up to Popmart and Zoo TV levels, which in my mind is a good thing! I thought I was going to fall asleep at some points during the 2009 shows!

My brother just saw the Salt Lake show and is a tough critic when it comes to speakers, sound, etc. He said it was absolutely perfect, pounding loud, but clear as a bell and mixed perfectly for a band with U2's traits.

Seems to me the sound, like the show overall, has improved as the tour has gone on.

Yeah goes in line about the visuals being better now than 2009 too. It really took U2 & its crew about a year to figure out how to use the Claw.

I would like to add Vertigo arena and stadium sounded amazing. Much better than all three 360 shows I saw in 2009.

In my opinion, a properly mixed outdoor arena show can be superior in just about every way. The best shows i've ever been to, from an audio perspective, were U2@JFK in Philly for Joshua Tree and all the Pink Floyd shows during their last tour. U2@Croke Park was also very very good. All the indoor shows for these artists were just not quite as good. No matter how good the mix, you always have to contend with cavernous conditions of some of the newer arenas, and of course, walls.

As a taper from a LONG time back, I used to be obsessed with sound quality (I have not and do not intend to tape U2...those days are behind me, I like to enjoy the shows now...lol), and one of the absolute biggest factors that can change the sound quality in outdoor shows is the WIND.

You can have a damned near perfect mix and you get a gust of wind or just have a windy night in general and it literally will change the sound instantly. I recall taping Rush at PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel, NJ and the mix was great (Rush is well known for good mixes) but the wind just killed the whole thing. It would gust from one side through the other and wreak havoc on the mics. But even if you werent concerned with mics and taping, you could HEAR the sound changing...almost swirling around you. Not good.

With perfect conditions, perfect weather, perfect mix I'll take an outdoor show 100% of the time.

Just my opinion though :)

Back
Top Bottom