Anaheim II Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd sure as hell prefer a bunch of AB material than pretty much anything off NLOTH just to keep notorious whingers like u2girl happy! Christ...

Agreed. I do think NLOTH would have made the setlist perfect. That being said, it was the best setlist of the tour so far, IMO.

1. It's pretty obvious that's what it was. They had a chance to have a set of "we're a great live band, we will have songs from all albums" or "we're 50 and 30 years in our career but we still care about our latest album, here's 7 songs off NLOTH".

That's really not what this is about. This isn't their festival appearance capping this summer, or this tour, or this decade. This is, effectively, one and done, and so there's a far wider and larger expectancy attached. It's widely anticipated as, expected to be, and accepted by the band to be - a career retrospective gig. The whole thing.

Or at least pretend they care about the new songs by playing one or two songs off those 2010 Europe songs, next to the measly 4 or so NLOTH songs still in the set.

You mean Every Breaking Wave, North Star, Glastonbury, Mercy? Why on earth would they play those? They're not from anything, they're not necessarily going to end up on anything, they don't mean or say anything, they're not even very good. Glastonbury obviously has the winning link and might well get played, but I hope not.

Instead they went for the "we used to be great...and btw we're having a new remaster out this year" setlist.

The thing was always going to be stacked with JT/AB/ATYCLB. If you look beyond those, this isn't a "where we're at now" gig. Three or four songs from No Line at Glastonbury, I would think, is over-representation. Seriously. What else is likely? October? None. Pop? None. Boy? One. R&H? One. Zooropa? One. Atomic Bomb? Two. War? Two. Unforgettable Fire? Two. NO LINE? FOUR? And three of those have already been comprehensively rejected by the public - one of them only well known in the UK for being so bad - so why would you push what is universally regarded as utter shit as being evidence of where you're at now? If they have to do No Line material just because it's more recent, it should at least be something that is not only already not proven to be dud, but does actually show some continuing creative ability. Breathe, No Line, Fez-BB - would be fine with one of those as No Line's representative. Boots? Magnificent? Crazy Tonight? Bullet the Blue Sky, Discotheque and Out of Control want your spots, and they should have them. And it looks like they've done Magnificent for The Fly? Come on. No brainer. How Magnificent outlasted Breathe/No Line, I'll never understand.

2. A good live set needn't be loaded with rockers. And U2 has plenty of good live material from "these days" to replace that block of 5 AB songs in the set.

No, a good live set doesn't have to be loaded with rockers. And a great U2 set should show a lot of diversity. But a good set, particularly a good festival set, should have loads of energy to it. Unfortunately, no, the 00s rockers don't stack up against rockers past. They have got a few mid-slow tempo songs from the past decade that are very good, but unfortunately, that's where a lot of their iconic monsters sit too. As good as, say, the Late '06 version of Kite is, it's not pushing a Bad or With or Without You out of this gig. That just is what it is.

Weak for a band that prides itself on always looking forward.

Haha. U2 pride themselves on their size and reach. Kiss the future and fuck the past? Sometimes. But if it requires a bit of tickling the past too? They're more than happy to. And they have been for some time, it's not new to 360. If that's your complaint - they're leaning on the past! - then get in line. Warning: the line began in 1998, it's getting pretty long now.

360 ? More like Zoo TV 2.0...

They went from the opening run of ZooTV into the opening double of the Joshua Tree tour, then reverted to 360. That might be effectively what they're going to do on Friday, or they might do more of those Classic Setlist Moments across the board.

I think the set-list is more of a warm-up for the Glastonbury set they'll be playing, rather than a representation of the 360 tour or where their going/aiming. If this set was played, and they didn't have Glastonbury coming up, then i think half the points made in this thread would be valid, but with such a big event coming up on Friday, i think its more than possible they used Anaheim 11 as a warm-up/experiment for Glastonbury more than anything.

So to conclude, the set-list played at Anaheim 11 most likely wasn't constructed to represent where their going in the future/on this tour, but more of a sound-check for Glastonbury.

I think everyone understands that to be the case. U2girl was suggesting that the opening Achtung run shouldn't be done at Glastonbury, not just 360.

It's not whining to say that you wish the band would be more focused on now than on the past, I don't actually think of what 360's turned into as a greatest hits tour, but it's dangerously close. Lamewad radio fans might not have loved Breathe as an opener, and they certainly don't love MOS as a closer, but Boots, CT, Magnificent and NLOTH definitely got the crowd going in 2009 even if people didn't know the tracks coming in. I'm not saying I don't like the variety of material we've gotten since then, but I think it's a damn shame they felt the need to try and make NLOTH the album match their preplanned stadium tour and that the resulting crowds caused them to be a lot less proud of some of these songs than they should be. And we'll probably never hear songs like NLOTH again.

All that said, what the fuck are they thinking moving Streets and One so early? I'm all for moving things around, but there are definite emotional hit points the way the set worked and those two songs transitioning from the main set into the encores was perfect. You're blowing the high point if Streets far too early.

It doesn't work with the rest of the 360 set, but they were going to open with it last year, so lord knows, but they must have some plan for the back end of the set.

All that said, what the fuck are they thinking moving Streets and One so early? I'm all for moving things around, but there are definite emotional hit points the way the set worked and those two songs transitioning from the main set into the encores was perfect. You're blowing the high point if Streets far too early.

I was there. Streets popping up where it did was amazing. It's not the same when you're reading it off of a list.

U2-concert-the-claw.jpg

For this kind of a setting, yeah it does. If we were talking about an intimate arena show, maybe you'd have a point.

Not that the Anaheim 2 set, apart from the opening songs, was in fact "loaded" with rockers.

Nah.

Not really. A good live song, rocker or not, will work in any setting.

And, not really.

That's really not what this is about. This isn't their festival appearance capping this summer, or this tour, or this decade. This is, effectively, one and done, and so there's a far wider and larger expectancy attached. It's widely anticipated as, expected to be, and accepted by the band to be - a career retrospective gig. The whole thing.

You mean Every Breaking Wave, North Star, Glastonbury, Mercy? Why on earth would they play those? They're not from anything, they're not necessarily going to end up on anything, they don't mean or say anything, they're not even very good. Glastonbury obviously has the winning link and might well get played, but I hope not.

The thing was always going to be stacked with JT/AB/ATYCLB. If you look beyond those, this isn't a "where we're at now" gig. Three or four songs from No Line at Glastonbury, I would think, is over-representation. Seriously. What else is likely? October? None. Pop? None. Boy? One. R&H? One. Zooropa? One. Atomic Bomb? Two. War? Two. Unforgettable Fire? Two. NO LINE? FOUR? And three of those have already been comprehensively rejected by the public - one of them only well known in the UK for being so bad - so why would you push what is universally regarded as utter shit as being evidence of where you're at now? If they have to do No Line material just because it's more recent, it should at least be something that is not only already not proven to be dud, but does actually show some continuing creative ability. Breathe, No Line, Fez-BB - would be fine with one of those as No Line's representative. Boots? Magnificent? Crazy Tonight? Bullet the Blue Sky, Discotheque and Out of Control want your spots, and they should have them. And it looks like they've done Magnificent for The Fly? Come on. No brainer. How Magnificent outlasted Breathe/No Line, I'll never understand.

No, a good live set doesn't have to be loaded with rockers. And a great U2 set should show a lot of diversity. But a good set, particularly a good festival set, should have loads of energy to it. Unfortunately, no, the 00s rockers don't stack up against rockers past. They have got a few mid-slow tempo songs from the past decade that are very good, but unfortunately, that's where a lot of their iconic monsters sit too. As good as, say, the Late '06 version of Kite is, it's not pushing a Bad or With or Without You out of this gig. That just is what it is.

Haha. U2 pride themselves on their size and reach. Kiss the future and fuck the past? Sometimes. But if it requires a bit of tickling the past too? They're more than happy to. And they have been for some time, it's not new to 360. If that's your complaint - they're leaning on the past! - then get in line. Warning: the line began in 1998, it's getting pretty long now.

They went from the opening run of ZooTV into the opening double of the Joshua Tree tour, then reverted to 360. That might be effectively what they're going to do on Friday, or they might do more of those Classic Setlist Moments across the board.

Career retrospective with opening 5 songs from AB ? Half of the album live ? Not even close. But it sure feels like an oversized nod to Zoo TV (or rather, the upcoming remaster) ...

Speaking of a major live/GH/career retrospective gig...where's Bad, one of their best live songs ? Bullet the blue sky ? New Year's day ? Desire ? Gloria ? And why does a career retrospective need rarities like Scarlet or Zooropa in the set ?

And Streets is fine with its usual end-of-main set placement. It's better than the original idea to open with their ultimate live song, but still. Do not play Streets too early should be the no. 1 rule. And they will blow it if it enters too early in the set.

It's not that they have to be from anything. It's more along of the lines of having more fresh material. Mercy was on a live EP. Glastonbury is said to be recorded for this occasion.

No. They could have easily wheeled out 5 energetic 00's songs in place of 5 AB songs, and the set wouldn't lose much, at all.

Leaning on the past... Such as having 7 songs off NLOTH in the set and opening with 4 of them. Or having 5 new songs premiered last year in Europe. And the line begins in 2004...

Career retrospective with opening 5 songs from AB ? Half of the album live ? Not even close. But it sure feels like an oversized nod to Zoo TV (or rather, the upcoming remaster) ...

Always going to be JT/AB/ATYCLB heavy. Welcome to their legacy. They did those three great albums, and some other good to really good ones in between. And if you think U2 make mistakes in how they write and determine their own history, again, join the line!

Speaking of a major live/GH/career retrospective gig...where's Bad, one of their best live songs ? Bullet the blue sky ? New Year's day ? Desire ? Gloria ? And why does a career retrospective need rarities like Scarlet or Zooropa in the set ?

I don't think Anaheim II was Glastonbury end to end. They were only giving that opening a whirl. I'm sure there'll be further changes in what songs are in and out, and the running order. I can think of three easy songs in, three easy songs out. And without the Claw, the running order is certainly not set in stone. No reason for the Zooropa-COBL-Vertigo-Crazy Tonight run, for example. And I think two of those are prime candidates to be Glastonbury victims. And in reverse, if they are, they could never do a full Glastonbury dry run on 360 because they could never do a 360 show without Crazy Tonight.

And Streets is fine with its usual end-of-main set placement. It's better than the original idea to open with their ultimate live song, but still. Do not play Streets too early should be the no. 1 rule. And they will blow it if it enters too early in the set.

U2 are always great at pacing their sets, running them with a strong element of drama. If they're bumping Streets into the first third, they must have something else planned for the end. They of all people would know what it gives to that last run of the show. They're surely not going to end the main set with Walk On, then do one encore, ending with Moment of Surrender. What are they going to do? Will it work? It's a huge question mark, and honestly, its quite exciting.

It's not that they have to be from anything. It's more along of the lines of having more fresh material. Mercy was on a live EP. Glastonbury is said to be recorded for this occasion.

There are a lot of great songs that are going to miss out. They don't play Bullet the Blue Sky, but they play Mercy? Nah. Save it for U2 fans who give a shit about shonky versions of so-so unreleased stuff. Glastonbury might well be there, although it not turning up in rehearsals or soundchecks might also suggest otherwise?

No. They could have easily wheeled out 5 energetic 00's songs in place of 5 AB songs, and the set wouldn't lose much, at all.

Even Better Than The Real Thing / The Fly / Mysterious Ways / Until the End of the World / One versus Vertigo / Elevation / Get On Your Boots / All Because of You / Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own?

Want to take that to a vote?

Leaning on the past... Such as having 7 songs off NLOTH in the set and opening with 4 of them. Or having 5 new songs premiered last year in Europe. And the line begins in 2004...

The line begins in 1998, when they hastily re-negotiated their record deal two albums early to rush in a 1980's Best Of collection.

Always going to be JT/AB/ATYCLB heavy. Welcome to their legacy. They did those three great albums, and some other good to really good ones in between. And if you think U2 make mistakes in how they write and determine their own history, again, join the line!

I don't think Anaheim II was Glastonbury end to end. They were only giving that opening a whirl. I'm sure there'll be further changes in what songs are in and out, and the running order. I can think of three easy songs in, three easy songs out. And without the Claw, the running order is certainly not set in stone. No reason for the Zooropa-COBL-Vertigo-Crazy Tonight run, for example. And I think two of those are prime candidates to be Glastonbury victims. And in reverse, if they are, they could never do a full Glastonbury dry run on 360 because they could never do a 360 show without Crazy Tonight.

U2 are always great at pacing their sets, running them with a strong element of drama. If they're bumping Streets into the first third, they must have something else planned for the end. They of all people would know what it gives to that last run of the show. They're surely not going to end the main set with Walk On, then do one encore, ending with Moment of Surrender. What are they going to do? Will it work? It's a huge question mark, and honestly, its quite exciting.

There are a lot of great songs that are going to miss out. They don't play Bullet the Blue Sky, but they play Mercy? Nah. Save it for U2 fans who give a shit about shonky versions of so-so unreleased stuff. Glastonbury might well be there, although it not turning up in rehearsals or soundchecks might also suggest otherwise?

Even Better Than The Real Thing / The Fly / Mysterious Ways / Until the End of the World / One versus Vertigo / Elevation / Get On Your Boots / All Because of You / Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own?

Want to take that to a vote?

The line begins in 1998, when they hastily re-negotiated their record deal two albums early to rush in a 1980's Best Of collection.

3 songs off JT is JT heavy ?

There are rumours of U2 having (some sort of) their own stageing. :shrug: not the full Claw, but surely large screens...a B -stage/catwalk ? I don't think that particular stretch has to go if the Claw isn't there.

They'd better have something good if they intend to let off steam with Streets THIS early. Still, a bad move to play your ace card early.

Maybe. There's still...one or two shows until Glastonbury, and the Glastonbury soundcheck. Maybe Glastonbury will make it.

Not really the line up I had in mind actually. But have no fear, no 00's lineup is safe against the AB lineup.

It begins with them consciously nodding to their own past when they recorded HTDAAB. Say what you want about ATYCLB...it's a lot more fresh than the follow up albums.

We're ruining the post Anaheim cigarette moment here, but yes, if U2 have some sort of ramp, I can see CT being on the cards. Not sure that they'll go that far though. But as for the others, Zooropa/City of Blinding Lights/Vertigo on 360 are tied to the expanded screen. Without it, they can be broken up or moved around. It's not a guess or bet on my part, just saying, some of the running order on 360 is tied to staging, doesn't have to be the same with this.

I was there both nights and Streets towards the end of the set was 10X's better than the surprise Streets early. 2nd night was greater as a whole, but I like to wait for my Streets than have it up front.

Different opinions people, get over it.

A group of fans were able to meet Bono on Sunday before U2 left L.A. for New York. He was asking people what they thought of Saturday night's show and which of the 2 nights they preferred. I asked him if it had been a preview of Glastonbury and he said "no". He said it was more of a case of wanting to shake up the setlist because he said that stadium felt real big to them.

I'm not sure if those listening to the stream could hear a comment that Bono made late in the show where he was about to say 360 tour, then quickly changed it to say 320. The reason he said it was that at Angel Stadium, there were no seats directly behind the stage. When Larry's drum stand rotated, he was playing primarily to a wall. He seemed to be saying that they came up with a setlist that was meant to be different from a 360 setlist as a result of this.

That said, I think Glastonbury may have a similar setlist, though their appearance there is supposedly going to be 105 minutes, as opposed to the 135-140 minutes they currently do. I very much doubt that the song Glastonbury will be played, as in a conversation I had with Dallas Schoo 2 weeks ago, he said that Bono felt (and I think most fans will agree) that it wasn't quite there lyrically.

One of the other fans there asked him about the next tour. I overheard most of what he said to her but U2gigs had a link to her post for those who want to read it in her own words. Essentially Bono echoed what he told a fan in Sao Paulo who had requested they play Love Come Tumbling (video of which was on Youtube): that on the next tour, he wants them to play smaller "private shows" as he called them where they will play a lot more of the songs they don't regularly play and he specifically mentioned songs from Pop like Gone. He said they want to switch around the setlists a lot more.

Bono told someone else he was still on a high from Saturday's show, so he was as excited by it as were the fans. The fact that he asked for opinions on it from fans suggests that this type of setlist may continue on the 360 tour.

My wife, who is originally from Brazil and is part of U2BR, was responsible for the streams for the past 4 shows, but Anaheim was the last shows of the tour for us (unless we add a July weekend show which is tempting), so hopefully others will be able to stream the remaining shows.

We're ruining the post Anaheim cigarette moment here, but yes, if U2 have some sort of ramp, I can see CT being on the cards. Not sure that they'll go that far though. But as for the others, Zooropa/City of Blinding Lights/Vertigo on 360 are tied to the expanded screen. Without it, they can be broken up or moved around. It's not a guess or bet on my part, just saying, some of the running order on 360 is tied to staging, doesn't have to be the same with this.

I think City/Vertigo is a safe bet to be played back to back, they seemingly are in love with that transition. Zooropa, yeah, if they do play it in Glastonbury it doesn't have to be attached to the City/Vertigo run at all.

I'm not sure if those listening to the stream could hear a comment that Bono made late in the show where he was about to say 360 tour, then quickly changed it to say 320. The reason he said it was that at Angel Stadium, there were no seats directly behind the stage. When Larry's drum stand rotated, he was playing primarily to a wall. He seemed to be saying that they came up with a setlist that was meant to be different from a 360 setlist as a result of this.

Not saying this is wrong or right, but Bono said the exact same thing in Edmonton ("welcome to the U2 320 tour") and the setlist was virtually the same as pre-Anaheim 2.

Interesting report there Halup! Thanks!
I wonder how those private shows would work ticket wise.
And how many people does he define as private? 500 people as opposed to 10,000? :):hmm:
Can you imagine being in a small room with them? OMG. That would be some kind of lottery/ticket auction I am sure since they would sell out before they go on sale. :hyper::love:
The speculation starts! And it will change a billion times before the next tour I am sure.

Interesting report there Halup! Thanks!
I wonder how those private shows would work ticket wise.
And how many people does he define as private? 500 people as opposed to 10,000? :):hmm:
Can you imagine being in a small room with them? OMG. That would be some kind of lottery/ticket auction.:hyper::love:
The speculation starts! And it will change a billion times before the next tour I am sure.

By private shows, I believe he is referring to doing arena shows, which would be filled with a higher percentage of hardcore fans, than in stadiums holding a large amount of more casual fans. I don't know if he was implying anything smaller than arenas, but they could always do like the Stones did on the 2002-03 Licks tour, where certain large cities got theater, arena and stadiums shows in the same week.

That really does sound great. I've enjoyed the 360 tour a great deal, but would love to see arenas next time around.

Not saying this is wrong or right, but Bono said the exact same thing in Edmonton ("welcome to the U2 320 tour") and the setlist was virtually the same as pre-Anaheim 2.

OK, I wasn't aware he had previously said that. I guess there have been a few venues on the tour where they didn't have anyone behind the stage.

It might have just been my perspective from where I was standing (was near the pit entrance along that far back rail on Edge's side, for a while before the show), and while there were seats directly behind the stage, there's that open area at the stadium where there are rocks and (usually) a water fountain, or waterfall or something like that. I'm guessing that's the space in question.

Awesome post, Halup! Interesting to hear that the setlist might still be in flux to some extent. I don't think Interference could handle another setlist party as crazy as this one, though.
Also, "the venue wasn't really 360 degrees" is quite possibly the most bizarre explanation for a setlist change imaginable...but, hey, if it gave us this, bring on U2 320. :rockon:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom