Shuttlecock XXV: Cool Hats Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, I was having second thoughts whether I should leave that part about the audio in. Maybe the reason that I could focus so much on the mix comes from the fact that the sound was as good as it could be. Interesting about the sound disappearing in the hallways - I was not leaving GA during the show so I did not even notice that.

And yes, Acrobat was the one I was thinking of that could have used additional visuals. But the song and the performance were so powerful that I would not have focused on the screen that much anyway.

If they went back in with Larry next year - which I am skeptical about (the Larry part I mean) - I'd go again in a heartbeat.

But that Love is Blindness man. That performance (along with Acrobat) should go viral to remind people as to what kind of a guitarist The Edge truly is.

Some additional random thoughts, also after listening to a pretty good recording of the October 5th show (available on U2start):

- I was mentioning how focused Bono seemed on getting the songs right. Perhaps he got the memo that he should shut the fuck up while his bandmates have their chance to shine. He was quiet during all of Edge's guitar solos (as he was on Acrobat during the E&I tour, thank goodness - one of the rare opportunities on that show he did not make himself heard). Acrobat (again) and Love is Blindness benefited enormously from this. Easily the two highlights of the set for me.

- I see now that So Cruel and Acrobat have switched places in the set. On the one hand, it seems logical as the middle set followed by So Cruel slows down the pacing significantly. But I would shorten the acoustic set a bit (and get an extra song somewhere else, e.g. in the encore) and leave So Cruel where it is, as the explosive, bitter intro of Acrobat worked so well for me after the melancholy of So Cruel. Plus I always thought the final three songs of Achtung Baby belong together, so it was a delight to see this little trilogy one after the other, albeit in a different order.

- I have mentioned how Love Rescue Me is probably my least favourite pre-2000 U2 song. However, this sparse arrangement (with Edge on bass no less) avoids the ridiculously overblown R&H/Lovetown version and makes it nicer to these ears. Therefore, it is for me the only U2 song ever made that sounds better "acoustically", with only Bono and Edge playing, as opposed to the full-band song (although I should check that 360 Tour version again). (Random recommendation: check out the Washington DC '97 version of Staring at the Sun - the band actually got the full-band version of the song right before dumping it for the inferior acoustic version)

- The Lemon mix/I Feel Loved/Eno/I Could Have Lost You is by far the best intro to a U2 show I have experienced live (I've seen every tour since Vertigo)

- I actually thought the stage was rising during that crazy trippy Even Better Than the Real Thing spectacle. I had to read afterwards I was mistaken.

- Edge's guitar is way too quiet during Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World. He does such great guitar work on that song and it deserves to be more in the forefront.

Great show. I would love to see it again. Maybe something happens with Larry in the future, but I wouldn't get my hopes up...

Last edited:
Theoretically seeing this on Friday night. Think the most likely scenario is my plane gets delayed to the point where I get there just after they finish playing The Fly.

Well, Edge stuffed Streets, no Hear Us Coming, Elevation sucks, did not need Love Rescue Me and I think they could have used the screen more, but it was the greatest concert of my life and With or Without You is the best song ever written and if that’s the second last time I see them then I’m very happy.

That’s great and I am happy for you, but you might want to spoiler tag that for some of the other folks here. The golden rule and all that.

What kind of half-assed review is that?

Also the screen has so many mind-blowing segments I just don’t know why one needs more. I think the point of taking a “break” is to remind you there’s still a great band playing. And the stage itself looks cool on its own.

What kind of half-assed review is that?

Also the screen has so many mind-blowing segments I just don’t know why one needs more. I think the point of taking a “break” is to remind you there’s still a great band playing. And the stage itself looks cool on its own.

Haha you know the big Cobbler review is on its way! And here it is. Still avoiding spoilers until after my second show.

Firstly, on your point about the screen. I am super happy that I went with the strategy I did of two shows, one on level 4 and one on the ground. Last night I was on level 4. Not sure if you've been to a show, but from up there, the show lost a lot of steam in the Rattle & Hum section, and that flowed into the rest of Achtung. People were taking piss/drink breaks en masse. From Desire through to So Cruel, so a solid 25 minutes, you're watching ants on a square and the screen wasn't used. I absolutely got that the reason for it was to remind you that you're watching a band and not a amazing technicolour dreamcoat, but from level 4 it falls a bit flat. It would have been completely fine if they'd just used the screen to show video of them playing without any special effects (though I wish Acrobat had used the screen), but yeah.

Anyway. The venue. It's a little hard to believe and comprehend. It's been so well built and constructed and you can tell a lot of care and thought has gone into it. Getting around the Strip as a whole is a fucking nightmare in general with the construction that's happening and the lack of footpaths (sidewalks as you Seppos call them) and it took me forever to figure out how to get into the Venetian when I got to the Sphere. But from then on it's so cool. It's like a pilgrimage, walking through the hotel and then across to the Sphere. The inside is magic, I fucking LOVE the ambient versions of Achtung tracks that have playing in the foyer. The seats are hella steep, it takes a bit to get used to, and then when you're in there it's just unreal. The fake birds flying from fake perch to fake perch.

The hype party I think could be done a lot better. I got inside about 7pm and it was awesome to hear Low played in full and then Kraftwerk, but from that point it gets a bit classic rock radio. When you think about the support acts they had on ZooTV and the genres they were drawing from in the 90s, I think the music played by the cool dude in the Trabant could have been more contextual. More hip-hop, more electro, more early 90s stuff. It was bittersweet to hear a Lemon remix, because it was fucking awesome but it meant that I probably wasn't going to be hearing Lemon live on this night.

I was crying the second the screen turned into a wall. Now, I'll just say here that this review is going to contain a few critical thoughts, if that's not your thing, please scroll on by. As my previous post outlines, I adored the show, but as a U2 ultranerd it's hard not to nitpick when they're *this* close to perfection. Some of these critiques will be ridiculous, too, and this first critique is one of those. GOD I WISH Bono had done the jolting/kicking to the opening strikes of Zoo Station. But anyway, what a treat to finally hear this live. So fucking cool how Edge's guitar breaks open the wall and then it slowly turns from a + to full screen. The Fly was unreal, I was losing it. What a fucking incredible use of technology (the way the screen descends on you? Wild!), and of course it sounded amazing. Even Better, amazing. Mysterious Ways is probably my least favourite song on Achtung to be honest, and we all wish Edge would play the slide guitar, but it was fun. The use of the screen in One was absolutely magic, I adored how the signs slowly made their way forward. I was CRUSHED to not hear Hear Us Coming, maybe he'll sing it in a couple nights time. Until the End of the World was as epic as ever. At this point I'm struck by just how GOOD everything sounds. Not a bum note. They even managed to recreate some of that tincan drumming sound that Zoo Station has in the studio, I though.

While we're here - Bram was great. He dissolved into the background, but it was nice to see someone young on stage with them. Of course I'd prefer to have Larry there but it literally did not affect my enjoyment of the show one iota. If anything, it was nice to see a U2 drummer smile for what must be the first time in 20 years.

Wild Horses/Tryin' to Throw was my favourite part of the show by far. God, this was so joyous. Wild Horses has always had a big spot in my heart, when I first listened to Achtung way back when it was the track that kept me coming back to the album. To finally hear it live, and to hear it played and sung SO well, with the ambers falling all around, was incredible. And that extended ending was sick. Then TTTYAATW. I wasn't sure if they'd play every track, when this started I was just so happy. I was bopping and drumming like crazy in my seat. It's SUCH a fucking good song and it really lends itself well to the live stage. You could see the band had a heap of fun with it, Bono was pretty loose and silly, and then Morleigh came out (not sure if this has been an every show thing?) and swung in the balloon string, it was her birthday as well... this is probably up there now with Kite in 2006, Bad/Mercy and City of Blinding Lights in 2010, Running to Stand Still for Chris Cornell in 2017, Streets in 2017 and 2019, Ultraviolet in 2019 as my favourite U2 live moments.

All I Want is You was absolutely lovely, wish Edge had played electric but a small complaint, and the Lou Reed snippet ruled. Desire, I was hoping DESPERATELY that they'd play the Mirrorball Man version, but alas. It was fun. Angel of Harlem is also better electric but it was nice and a good lead-in speech by Bono, who was in fine form, maybe the most I've enjoyed his chatter in a live show.

Not sure if Love Rescue Me has been a regular but I was pretty disappointed with this section. The show had lost a bit of its energy already and then Bono had a totally expected but still pretty cowardly generic response to Palestine-Israel, "there's a thing happening and we're not gonna bring it up but we are gonna sing about it". And it was just Edge on guitar and Bono on vocals. I absolutely understand that this issue in particular is so sensitive and everyone has to be careful of what they're saying for fear of being branded anti-Semitic, but having watched the Kiss the Future doco a couple months ago it was pretty disappointing to see how safe they were in regards to this. Again, totally get it, but yeah.

And it was a bit awkward, too. All of a sudden, Bono goes, "shall we wake the baby back up" and then they're into the most searing song they've ever made in Acrobat. It was fucking incredible, sounded perfect, Edge, you can fucking play guitar man!! And play it goddamn well, too. The square looked very cool, but I do wish they'd used the screen here, at least from level 4. I'm sure I won't care tomorrow night. But not sure they did the song the justice it deserves with that awkward lead-in, and then having So Cruel come next, with nothing on the screen, brought the vibes back down a bit. I love this song and it was cool to hear but I didn't love it, I think I'll enjoy it more tomorrow. Ultraviolet was amazing, and then Love is Blindness was fucking incredible. Edge, again, killing it on guitar. And what a treat to hear this song live, and performed so well. I LOVED the visuals with the blue screen and the bugs slowly filling it up. It fit the mood of the song to an absolute tee. Smashed it.

Encore time, and I fucking hate Elevation man. Crowd loved it but it's such a shit song that I've heard way too many times and they have so many better tracks they could play that would go down just as well. What it did do, however, was make Atomic City and Vertigo seem like 10s. I don't love Atomic City (I do like that the start of the chorus makes me think of that Blondie song though) but it was much better than Elevation and the visual of Vegas was cool. Vertigo absolutely slapped, I'm totally comfortable with them always playing this song.

I thought they missed a trick here though. Come out to Vertigo, and then do Atomic City, and keep that awesome deconstruction of Vegas visual, and then you have literally the perfect opportunity to go into Streets with a trip through the desert to the Joshua Tree and go into Streets. I was so looking forward to this moment, I always do, but this was the least connected I've ever felt to the song. Bono did a Moment of Surrender snippet that took away from Edge's intro, and then I don't know what Edge was doing but he seemed to accidentally play tiny short snippets of the main riff completely out of place twice, and it totally took me out of the moment. A real shame, but maybe tomorrow it's rectified. The visuals were still pretty cool, particularly the sunrise and sunset, that was magic.

With or Without You destroyed me in the best way, I adore this song and it sounded incredible. I was absolutely weeping and at the end of the song a lovely lady next to me gave me a long and heartfelt hug, which was deeply special. I thought closing it out with Beautiful Day was perfect, it's definitely the most I have ever enjoyed this song live, so joyous and the visuals with the full screen were magic.

I'd have LOVED a few more songs, and it's a real shame they don't play any Zooropa, nor does MacPhisto get a segment (I couldn't tell from how far back I was but did Bono come out in the Mirrorball Man getup for Elevation?!) but by the end I wasn't that upset about that to be honest, I think I was just feeling a lot of emotions and feeling grateful that I was able to be here in person to see this show in this amazing venue, hear my favourite album live in full, and to hear them sound maybe the best I've ever heard them sound. I was just grateful to be able to see them play and play so well, given they're all 60+ and much nearer to the end than the start. I love this band with my whole heart and soul. :heart:

Haven't you heard those two already before live? Hardly something one should get upset about.

Last edited:
All good memes must pass on in time. I have seen The Fly.

The Sphere is impressive and unique. I have no idea how it will function, because the time and energy to put together a show that makes use of this screen will require a residency, and you'll need artists who have fanbases that will travel. But that is an analysis for another time.

The Achtung Baby songs sound great, aside from the obvious aging of Bono's voice. He doesn't have it anymore, that much is fairly clear, but he can make do enough to still enjoy himself while performing. I think I probably got the worst performance of Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World of the tour. Bono screwed up the lyrics to the verses to the point where he got lost on where he was, then just threw the balloon swing over the camera and told Edge they should wrap up the song. And they probably could have done some more visually enticing stuff with Acrobat and So Cruel to get the crowd more into those songs. The performances were really good, but on So Cruel the only visuals were the shadows of roadies walking in front of the side stage lights.

I will say that my enjoyment was greatly reduced by the section I happened to be sitting in. I was in the 200 level all the way to one end. My ticket was listed as an aisle seat, which I chose deliberately so I could go get a couple of beers during the acoustic set. But it was actually the opposite: I was pinned in against the wall. On top of that, I appeared to be in a section with the oldest group in the entire place. They openly stated just before the show started that they had no intention of standing up, They were completely silent for the duration of the show and made it so I didn't even feel comfortable singing along. That definitely dampened the mood.

The funniest part of the setlist, to me, is that all of the worst parts are the parts that don't require the screen: the boring acoustic set, and Elevation to open the encore. So it's easily correctable! And yet...

It really does bring the show to complete halt after All I Want Is You, not just because the songs have no juice, but because it's also the part where Bono is getting all of the speechifying out of his system. I would have given anything for a beer when he rambled on about erroneously telling a musician in Mali that he stole his music from BB King.

I will also say that this run of shows, based on my experience here and from what I've heard/seen about some of the others, seem to be having more technical issues than in the past. The Edge's guitar went out right before the climax of With or Without You, and he was down the stairs working on it with Dallas for a full minute. Then, on Beautiful Day, the keyboard part was very prominently a split second behind the rest of the band, and made the song sound absolutely awful. These are things they normally don't miss on, particularly with indoor shows.

I'm glad I went, though. I'd ideally be able to see it again under better circumstances (I won't get into my travel woes and how I nearly missed the the start of the show) but it's pretty cost prohibitive to do so.

Also, I did meet Cobbler, and we walked up the Strip for a bit and grabbed a beer after the show. He was polite enough to wait a whole 10 minutes to remark that I have an accent straight out of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

I correctly surmised you sound like Mac.

And djerdap, I'm being extremely overdramatic, I have indeed heard Hear Us Coming before thankfully, but it does take the song from an 8/10 live to a 15/10, and U2gigs suggested it was an especially "emotional" rendition. Still Haven't Found just would have been nice to balance out the R&H mini-set, and I've developed a deeper personal connection to the song recently. I assume it's being played acoustic, what about Pride? Are they playing that acoustic?

First attempt at an alt setlist. Looking forward to going back and reading everyone's posts.

Zoo Station
The Fly
Even Better than the Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
One / Hear Us Coming / Unchained Melody
Until the End of the World
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World
All I Want is You (full band)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (full band)
Stay (full band)
Desire (full band / Mirrorball Man)
Acrobat
Zooropa
Ultraviolet
Love is Blindness / Viva Las Vegas

I Will Follow
Vertigo
Atomic City
Where the Streets Have No Name
With or Without You
Beautiful Day / What a Wonderful World

Keeping it somewhat realistic for my first one.

First attempt at an alt setlist. Looking forward to going back and reading everyone's posts.

Zoo Station
The Fly
Even Better than the Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
One / Hear Us Coming / Unchained Melody
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World
All I Want is You (full band)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (full band)
Stay (full band)
Desire (full band / Mirrorball Man)
Acrobat
Zooropa
Ultraviolet
Love is Blindness / Viva Las Vegas

I Will Follow
Vertigo
Atomic City
Where the Streets Have No Name
With or Without You
Beautiful Day / What a Wonderful World

Keeping it somewhat realistic for my first one.

Personally, I'm not crazy about playing
8 AB songs and then picking up the last 4 later. Why not finish the first part with the apocalyptic UTEOTW (this worked really well on I+E), have the acoustic set, then open the second AB section with Wild Horses, which is a song the crowd will likely be more into and recognize? Or at least put it somewhere in that run. Also, your list completely dropped So Cruel, not sure if that was a mistake or not.

Random Sphere thoughts part II

I like that the show is both a Zoo TV tribute and a gig with its own identity. They pulled it off at making it both nostalgic and modern.

The change they have made in switching So Cruel and Acrobat is a bit of a mixed bag. Acrobat is definitely the better choice of "waking up the baby", but I feel that So Cruel flows much better into Acrobat than the other way around. Ultra Violet following Acrobat keeps the momentum going. So Cruel is simply a difficult song to place in the set. I would not change the first Zoo TV set for anything, but after Tryin', they really should limit that acoustic set to two songs, and then follow it with So Cruel. Add a song or two in the encore, like Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me, Zooropa or Discotheque (yeah, I know...). Or at least I Will Follow after Beautiful Day.

What the fuck is Bono doing, bleating like a sheep during the gorgeous "bridge" part in Tryin'? (Meeeeeh---n chiiild). I heard it now at every show I was listening to.

Bram really gives some life back to With or Without You. There were no second "ooooh-oooohs" at my show, and I had no objections to that. That always felt like a bit of an overkill. Either Shine Like Stars/small guitar solo or bust.

I've heard some complaints about the Viva Las Vegas snippet in Love is Blindness, but I think it works just fine. That city (well, at least the Strip) is such a depressing debauched hellhole it is oddly fitting to have that snippet in one of the band's darkest tracks. And again, the performance of Love is Blindness alone was worth the trip. This version has a bit of a Jacques Brel/Scott Walker crooner vibe this time, and Edge's solo is just as good as it was on Zoo TV. Together with Exit on the JT '17 and Acrobat on E&I tour, this performance serves as an easy proof they are still a killer live act.

Last edited:

The change they have made in switching So Cruel and Acrobat is a bit of a mixed bag. Acrobat is definitely the better choice of "waking up the baby", but I feel that So Cruel flows much better into Acrobat than the other way around. Ultra Violet following Acrobat keeps the momentum going. So Cruel is simply a difficult song to place in the set. I would not change the first Zoo TV set for anything, but after Tryin', they really should limit that acoustic set to two songs, and then follow it with So Cruel.

This is why I was saying they could use
Wild Horses to better navigate that section, which clearly isn't as smooth as it could be flow-wise. I feel like they had the idea to replicate the opening stretch of the Inside Broadcase ZooTV shows, and are now locked into something that doesn't really work now.

Other than Hedge’s guitar cutting out the moment before the Fly solo (completely took me out of the number grid collapse sequence) and Boner quite literally sucking his thumb for half of TTTYAATW, I think that was pretty damn good.

Also… hello.

Personally, I'm not crazy about playing
8 AB songs and then picking up the last 4 later. Why not finish the first part with the apocalyptic UTEOTW (this worked really well on I+E), have the acoustic set, then open the second AB section with Wild Horses, which is a song the crowd will likely be more into and recognize? Or at least put it somewhere in that run. Also, your list completely dropped So Cruel, not sure if that was a mistake or not.

I don't mind this idea all. It is quite difficult to
sequence the final third of Achtung after the R&H section, which is why I dropped So Cruel. I can't find a good place for it and even though I enjoyed it a lot more on the second night when I was in GA, it still wasn't that exciting. But maybe this works a little better...

1. Zoo Station
2. The Fly
3. Even Better than the Real Thing
4. Mysterious Ways
5. One
6. Until the End of the World
7. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
8. All I Want is You
9. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
10. Desire
11. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
12. Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World
13. So Cruel
14. Acrobat
15. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
16. Love is Blindness

17. Zooropa
18. I Will Follow
19. Vertigo
20. Atomic City
21. Where the Streets Have No Name
22. With or Without You
23. Beautiful Day

Other than Hedge’s guitar cutting out the moment before the Fly solo (completely took me out of the number grid collapse sequence) and Boner quite literally sucking his thumb for half of TTTYAATW, I think that was pretty damn good.

Also… hello.

Listened to that new Sex Church record yet, you bitch?

Some quick thoughts on night 2, when I was in GA:
  • Tryin' to Throw was about 40% worse than two nights earlier, so glad I got to see that previous performance.
  • Getting When Love Comes to Town was pretty cool, even if Bono's Mali story was very difficult to follow.
  • Fuck Love Rescue Me and Bono's cowardice.
  • The Acrobat-Ultraviolet-Love is Blindness section is unbelievably good.
  • I enjoyed Elevation more on the floor than I did in the seats.

POP on a set of good headphones or speakers is sublime. it really irks me that this band and a lot of the fans think it sucks because of all the weirdness that surrounded it. unfinished or not, that album kicks ass.

I think the only two things that could get me to travel for U2 again are a Pop anniversary tour and if they did a final-ever-show in Dublin or something.

I'm prepared for anything, up to and including the band leaving the stage and "The Fly" being performed via tape by Gavin Friday, a la the i+e intermission.

What about deciding to check in to your hotel instead of going straight to the venue?

There are always going to be nitpicky things to say by fans that want what they want, and I am no exception. However, I also think the nitpicking is moot.

I will spoiler this.

I had a fucking blast at both shows and am really glad, and grateful, that I was able to attend. Every single AB song was just a joy and a treasure to hear, and since I had missed the SOE tour, this was my first time ever hearing Acrobat, which has been a top 10 song for me since the very first time I heard it. God did they play the shit out of that song. Bono, to me, sounded great, looked great, and seemed to be truly happy to be performing on this sort of stage again.

Hey New South Wales, great to see your thoughts man :)
I share your gratitude. I made sure to take a few moments on the second night when I was in GA to ground myself in the present moment, being so close to the band, watching them intently, and then looking up at the bleachers during Streets and Beautiful Day, to see the vast, vast majority of the audience standing up and singing along, it was a really beautiful moment, and I took a pause to clasp my hands together and whisper to myself, "if that's the last time, thank you". I felt very grateful to be there, for such crazy visuals, and to hear them sound so good.

I am sure the portion between AB songs might see opinions vary, but, any chance to hear/sing along to "All I Want is You" is fine with me. I enjoyed it.

Yeah, it was just a joy, don't know what else to say, really.

The songs that got me the most into it, you know those moments where you truly get lost in the music:

Zoo Station
Acrobat
So Cruel (intense)
Streets

Lastly, that fucking venue. The audio/visual capabilities of that place is off the charts. I laughed out loud twice the first night at some of the shit that venue was able to do visually. I'll be back in December for one more show.

Hope you are all well....

I like this framing. For me the songs that got me the most into it were Zoo Station - SERIOUSLY, how fucking good was this, I wept both nights as soon as the dust started, so fucking cool - UTEOTW, One, Acrobat, Wild Horses, Tryin' to Throw, Ultraviolet, Love is Blindness, WOWY and Streets.

The second has to do with the venue/Vegas itself. I've been to Vegas like 25 times in my life, at least, and I don't need to be told about how debauched that city is - that's part and parcel of what makes it Vegas. But, to me, there are limits, and certainly those limits should be applied to something as tame as a U2 concert, Vegas or no Vegas. That being said, I saw some shit before, during and after the show that I could not believe nor possibly completely list here. But, here is a photo of something I observed before the show - this was by where the GA people had been lined up. By the time I took this picture, they had been inside for about 45 minutes. I am not going to speculate on what the hell happened here but I do think the photo speaks for itself. I thought U2 fans were better than this.....

I’m on a plane home right now, a few wines deep and I cannot tell you how much this post made me smile. You manage, every time, to suck me in at the start, and then I realise where it’s going, and every time I just smile so much. Thank you, and hope you’re really well.

My review for the October 5th show:

Well, for somebody who is an Achtung Baby / ZooTV fanatic, and who was too young to see that tour, this show was in many ways a dream come true. It was an ideal combination of intimacy and spectacle. I should emphasise as to how much of a small club experience that GA feels like, which was just as impressive as the bombastic production. Standing very close to Edge while he was playing his Love is Blindness solo - his greatest in my mind - is easily my U2 concert highlight. This culminated in a masterful version of Love is Blindness. I was trepidatious they might neuter the song a bit, but no, this was the ZooTV arrangement in its full glory, and Edge was just demolishing that guitar. I was never as emotional on a U2 show as during that song.

I've heard some complaints about the Viva Las Vegas snippet in Love is Blindness, but I think it works just fine. That city (well, at least the Strip) is such a depressing debauched hellhole it is oddly fitting to have that snippet in one of the band's darkest tracks. And again, the performance of Love is Blindness alone was worth the trip. This version has a bit of a Jacques Brel/Scott Walker crooner vibe this time, and Edge's solo is just as good as it was on Zoo TV. Together with Exit on the JT '17 and Acrobat on E&I tour, this performance serves as an easy proof they are still a killer live act.[

The more I think back and reflect and chat with people, the more I think Love is Blindness was the highlight. I fucking ADORED what they did with it. The song itself sounded absolutely incredible, not a flubbed note and also some additional flourishes on top of the studio version. And then the visuals, man. I am so glad they leant into the darkness of this song, and not away from it. I chatted to some casual fans around Vegas who found LIB distressing with the visuals and I was like, LIB felt like one for the real fans. The song is one of the darkest and most despairing they have ever recorded and they did that the full justice. The visuals captured the claustrophobia and the despair of the song so fucking well, so well in fact that like you djerdap, on the second night I went, it brought me to tears. I am really surprised to hear of negative reactions to the Viva Las Vegas snippet, I thought it was fucking perfect, with the band pretty much all off stage by the time Bono finishes it. I thought it fit the song to a fucking tee. And you’re right to draw comparisons to Exit on the JT anniversary tours, I listened to Joshua Tree heaps as I drove through Utah after Vegas and played Exit over and over, and it had a similarly epic vibe to Acrobat, maybe even more so, and yeah, really showed off the fact that U2 can be fucking dark and heavy and savage and fucking nail that sound, and I wish they would do it more.

Gigantic screen notwithstanding, what matters is the playing and I think the band has approached this smartly. It is good to see Bono truly focused on the songs. Scripted Broadway speeches are thankfully gone. Long-ass political or campaign introductions are gone. A song like One sounded fresh because the focus was on the song and only the song. The Hear Us Coming verse was sadly missing, but Bono made up for it in trying to replicate the album falsetto climax. Sure, the Boner was talkative, especially during the acoustic set, but I never had the feeling it derailed the show, and it felt like it was honestly reflecting his enthusiasm.

As soon as that I Could Have Lost You intro started, I knew the show was going to be special. A minor flub or two notwithstanding, the band went through that first Achtung Baby set with tremendous power. - The Lemon mix/I Feel Loved/Eno/I Could Have Lost You is by far the best intro to a U2 show I have experienced live (I've seen every tour since Vertigo)

I largely agree - in fact that first concert I saw on the 18th was by far the most I've enjoyed Bono at the 11 shows I've seen. He kept the proselytising to a minimum and when he did speak he was genuinely quite funny. But, Bono being Bono, he has to find a way to get in the way and boy does that Moment of Surrender snippet in the Streets intro do nothing for me. I see you too yearned for Hear Us Coming...

Do we know what the Lemon remix is? It is absolute fire. What about I Feel Loved/Eno/I Could Have Lost You? I didn’t pick up those.

The acoustic set was the best one of the U2 acoustic sets I've seen (not there is that much competition there), simply because it was full band. I have enjoyed listening to Angel of Harlem for the first time live, and Bono dedicating All I Want is You to Eddie Vedder - who was having a lot of fun on the balcony with his wife and Javier Bardem - makes this a delight, since Pearl Jam is my other favorite band. It was bizarre to hear and see Love Rescue Me - possibly my least favourite pre-2000 track - but it was a nice little version, and it is cool to see Edge on bass. In terms of pacing, this part of the set might have been a tad too long. But I still vastly prefer that to I Still Haven't Found / Pride / MLK alternative. This was my first show without Pride and I have not missed it at all.

I've no desire to hear MLK but I think I would definitely have preferred Still Not Found and Pride to acoustic Desire and Angel of Harlem/Love Comes to Town (at least on one of the nights!) did they do those tracks full band or acoustic?

Some additional random thoughts, also after listening to a pretty good recording of the October 5th show (available on U2start):

- I actually thought the stage was rising during that crazy trippy Even Better Than the Real Thing spectacle. I had to read afterwards I was mistaken.

When I was in GA the second night it genuinely felt like this. Absolutely wild.

I will say that my enjoyment was greatly reduced by the section I happened to be sitting in. I was in the 200 level all the way to one end. My ticket was listed as an aisle seat, which I chose deliberately so I could go get a couple of beers during the acoustic set. But it was actually the opposite: I was pinned in against the wall. On top of that, I appeared to be in a section with the oldest group in the entire place. They openly stated just before the show started that they had no intention of standing up, They were completely silent for the duration of the show and made it so I didn't even feel comfortable singing along. That definitely dampened the mood.

I’m really sorry to hear this man, and hope you can see it again and get more into it.

I like that the show is both a Zoo TV tribute and a gig with its own identity. They pulled it off at making it both nostalgic and modern.

Yes, but I realised seeing this show that what I actually wanted was a ZooTV anniversary tour, and not an Achtung anniversary tour. I’d have killed for RTSS/Streets, with Edge on electric guitar in RTSS and the Hallelujah snippet, I think that’s the band’s absolute pinnacle.

Also… hello.
Congrats on the World Series my friend! That's a beautiful thing. Enjoy it.

So Edge is featured on two songs on "Los Angeles," a new album by Lol Tolhurst of The Cure, Budgie of Siouxsie and the Banshees, and Jacknife Lee. I've got to say, these are definitely the most musically adventurous songs he's worked on since the 90s. Not revolutionary, but some really cool texture work. Both are basically instrumentals so Edge solely contributes guitar. I hope he takes some of this energy to his U2 work.

Back
Top Bottom