New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, Eno was complaining about not getting songwriting credits on ATYCLB.

Anyway. Not looking like a fall release. I mean, it's May. Unless they are planning on doing a surprise release, I think we would have heard something by now. Usually the first song or two would be streaming a few months ahead, and we haven't even gotten wind of anything, like a song name, or people seen heading into a mastering studio or something.
sigh
Well we all know if you're taking bets it's likely they won't put it out in time.

That said, Atomic City exists in an ambiguous place where they haven't said either way if it's on the next album. So that could be considered a first look.

I think they've kept that ambiguous on purpose. I bet if the album is out this year, AC is on it. If it takes longer, that won't be the case.

I know they don’t play in the same circles, but Billie Eilish announced an album with about a month and a half lead time. It’s out in a week and no singles have been released.

Yeah the zeitgeist is definitely moving away from long rollouts. Taylor Swift also released her album with no advance singles.

I definitely prefer a shorter campaign. But I do think U2 needs to release one song in advance to build some buzz and show how it (hopefully) differs from the last few U2 albums.

I am confident - for men in their mid to late sixties (by the time the next record is unveiled) - this pattern will not change.
I partly agree, though one thing that gives me a little hope is that every album since Pop has been about the band "reapplying for the role of the biggest band in the world", i.e. very consciously chasing chart success, but now we might finally be seeing a different approach.

With Bono conceding during the promo tour for 'Stories of Surrender' that those days are likely behind them, and expressing an ambition to make a 'f-off to the charts' record, there's at least a chance they might be a little more daring than they have been on the last few albums (though I admit it's not highly likely).

I partly agree, though one thing that gives me a little hope is that every album since Pop has been about the band "reapplying for the role of the biggest band in the world", i.e. very consciously chasing chart success, but now we might finally be seeing a different approach.

With Bono conceding during the promo tour for 'Stories of Surrender' that those days are likely behind them, and expressing an ambition to make a 'f-off to the charts' record, there's at least a chance they might be a little more daring than they have been on the last few albums (though I admit it's not highly likely).
I'd love this to be true - to hear them lean into their age and the more reflective side of their work. However, I'd be very surprised if they changed their approach now. Atomic City seems like a better indicator since it's so recent.

Agreed! - we can hope.

But “Unreasonable Guitar Record” even sounds like marketing to me.

But you’ve got a fuller quote I haven’t heard… what you reported is encouraging.

It seems to me “No Line” was the last time they tried. It was largely a miss, but I appreciated the effort (maybe not so much the 3 attempted “hits”).

Yeah, that's a good point. The rumour is that Lillywhite and Jackknife Lee - who produced Atomic City - are producing the next album, so I imagine it's a good indication of what's next.

And whilst it has some good stuff imo - much more prominent drums, less slick and overproduced than SoI or SoE etc - i wouldn't exactly describe any of it as 'unreasonable guitar' music.

But then, Bono described HTDAAB as "punk rock from Venus", and NLoTH as "real molten metal"...

Yeah, that's a good point. The rumour is that Lillywhite and Jackknife Lee - who produced Atomic City - are producing the next album, so I imagine it's a good indication of what's next.

And whilst it has some good stuff imo - much more prominent drums, less slick and overproduced than SoI or SoE etc - i wouldn't exactly describe any of it as 'unreasonable guitar' music.

But then, Bono described HTDAAB as "punk rock from Venus", and NLoTH as "real molten metal"...

Ugh - At this point Bono’s album marketing slogans are inversely correlated with the artistic courage of any music they put out.

He probably wished they kept “the Hype”.

Maybe wish it was Eno/Lanois but I’ll be glad for a Lillywhite / Jack Knife produced album.

Ugh - At this point Bono’s album marketing slogans are inversely correlated with the artistic courage of any music they put out.

He probably wished they kept “the Hype”.

Maybe wish it was Eno/Lanois but I’ll be glad for a Lillywhite / Jack Knife produced album.

Well, I'm probably a fan who can look past the hyperbole most of the time. When it's a big band, they'll say stuff to hype up whatever's in the pipeline. Half of that's natural and half of that's trying to get the fans or general public excited about what's coming up. No one in their right mind is going to say "The upcoming stuff is just okay" or "Maybe it'll be something worth listening to." At least it's never not interesting here!

As for the rest - or the actual end result, it's not going to be as easy as going in and saying "We're doing this or doing that style of music." Unfortunately, songwriting doesn't work that way. You can record, say, the most 12 brash sounding guitar tracks (or ambient-sounding material) of all time. But if you can't write a decent melody for the life of you over those songs, then you're naturally going to move on to other things. That's part of the fun of writing songs, but also a major frustrating part too. And the fact that an album comes out of anything or dozens of potential instrumentals is probably a miracle most of the time.

I'm not above critiquing my favorite bands for some decisions though. I mean, did the last album really need two consecutive songs/singles that used the same IV-I-V-vi chord progression? :lol:

My gut of guts tells me that nothing is going to change: we'll get another "Songs of" album title, maybe 1-3 songs that make me think "Hey, there's the U2 I know and love," and the rest are perfectly adequate, middle of the road adult alternative songs with a bit too much polish on them.

My gut of guts tells me that nothing is going to change: we'll get another "Songs of" album title, maybe 1-3 songs that make me think "Hey, there's the U2 I know and love," and the rest are perfectly adequate, middle of the road adult alternative songs with a bit too much polish on them.
Most likely. What's really crazy is that all the band really needs to do is simplify things a little bit. I'm a local cover musician in my town, just played Running To Stand Still the other night, and it's crazy to think how powerful that song is but how simple it is at the same time. Also funny that I had this exact thought while performing the song.

Regardless of what's on the EP, it sounds like a bit of a random release. Stuff like that won't register with the general public so it's not going to keep the band in the news so to speak. Of course I'll buy it....

something i discovered in my own, brief time running a U2 fan site is that sources that are highly reliable for months or years can dry up without notice, and not all of them are able to admit that they've been cut off and can sometimes feed incomplete, out of date or flat out false information. it's really hard to keep track with what's what - and you really have to be careful what you put out there.

I mean, did the last album really need two consecutive songs/singles that used the same IV-I-V-vi chord progression? :lol:

Spot on! And if I’m not mistaken - aren’t they in the very same key??

The only thought I had about it that might mitigate the ridiculousness of it is thy maybe they just decided - “let’s be blatant about it. These two songs came from the same original draft - so let’s sit side by side and just own it.”

I'm a sucker for a rumour, I think we all are, regardless of how true it actually is.

But yeah, come on lads, release something new please. None of us are getting any younger.

lordy it's been a long time since they've released an LP of new material

Headache nailed it, RE: sources.

But I'm going to defend u2songs 'til the cows come home.
don't get me wrong - he does a tremendous service to the fan community, especially since most of the other usual suspects have all gone away.

i just feel that he's been overly reliant on sources of late that might not be what they used to be. it happens

Back
Top Bottom