NBA 2023-24 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The refereeing is so bad. And it looks like that in every sport. It's a shame that the ending of an excellent Knicks-Pacers game went the way it did.

Also, can the Knicks please not have a close win? My heart would appreciate it.

I mean it's an impossible job. The game moves so quickly now. Mistakes are inevitable. The Pacers went on a run in the third after a series of bad calls against the Knicks, and that flipped down the stretch.

The moving screen... It was so minimal that I don't think it should have been called. And I'm in favor of calling fouls that should be called regardless of the time. Take the Iowa UConn women's game - I think that was the right call. It was clear and obvious.

This one was more subtle. If Ragu doesn't flop the red probably doesn't call it. But when it's reviewed they can't reverse it because it's technically illegal (legs outside shoulders, etc.)

Just a bad break.

i understand that sometimes you have to break out some alum who played for some really bad teams - because, well, i work for a really bad team.

but they are really being loose with the definition of "knicks legend"

marbury was 113-174 with the Knicks and never won a single playoff game.

#FreeOakley

I mean it's an impossible job. The game moves so quickly now. Mistakes are inevitable. The Pacers went on a run in the third after a series of bad calls against the Knicks, and that flipped down the stretch.

The moving screen... It was so minimal that I don't think it should have been called. And I'm in favor of calling fouls that should be called regardless of the time. Take the Iowa UConn women's game - I think that was the right call. It was clear and obvious.

This one was more subtle. If Ragu doesn't flop the red probably doesn't call it. But when it's reviewed they can't reverse it because it's technically illegal (legs outside shoulders, etc.)

Just a bad break.

Yeah, I agree with this. There was even a moving screen call on Donte midway through the 3rd that was egregious. Even late in the game there were some bad calls/non-calls in the Pacers' favors - a defender hugging Brunson in an inbounds (which is probably why they called it later, allowing the Knicks to open the 4 pt lead). Plus, they forced Thibs to use a late challenge in a terrible call of a ball that went out of bounds off the Pacers' defender. This cost them a timeout that the Knicks could have used in one of the bad inbound plays where they committed a turnover.

The really bad call was the kick ball, which would have led to an easy transition basket for the Pacers, and was not reviewable. But I agree that these things even out over the course of a series, and it's annoying that the focus is on the last two minutes only.

This is the Knicks' MO right? Like how they always make a big deal about C-list celebrities like Pete Davidson and Fat Joe being in attendance.
ehhhh nah. i mean there are legit celebs there. not as many as from LA but plenty. but the two you named also happen to be native New Yorkers, so a tad different.

GM7zYGdWYAAVQ3u

This is the Knicks' MO right? Like how they always make a big deal about C-list celebrities like Pete Davidson and Fat Joe being in attendance.
And acting like they and their Garden are the "mecca" of the NBA with their 2 whole titles. Whereas we know the real basketball mecca Garden and franchise is a few hours north of MSG. :p

The Mecca thing is from old school college basketball - back when the NIT was the premier tournament and all. It was never meant to be about the NBA. You'll never see it in their marketing material. They stick with World's Most Famous Arena.

It's also hard to not take my opinion here as biased, which I understand. But I've been able to go to a lot of different arenas since taking this job. There are many places nicer than MSG. Some of these new places are absolutely gorgeous.

But there is no place I've been that can match the atmosphere. The buzz at MSG is amazing. Boston is close, don't get me wrong. But, like, there's a buzz in that building for a random game against the Wizards in March. It's just a special place (despite it's owner).

I honestly think it's as much an architectural thing as it is a fan thing. Arena floors are typically below ground level. The floor at MSG is 5 stories above ground level - which makes the floor literally shake when it gets really loud. Add in the way the roof radiates the crowd noise back down and it just gives it a uniqueness that no other arena can match.

Last edited:
The Mecca thing is from old school college basketball - back when the NIT was the premier tournament and all. It was never meant to be about the NBA. You'll never see it in their marketing material. They stick with World's Most Famous Arena.

It's also hard to not take my opinion here as biased, which I understand. But I've been able to go to a lot of different arenas since taking this job. There are many places nicer than MSG. Some of these new places are absolutely gorgeous.

But there is no place I've been that can match the atmosphere. The buzz at MSG is amazing. Boston is close, don't get me wrong. But, like, there's a buzz in that building for a random game against the Wizards in March. It's just a special place (despite it's owner).

I honestly think it's as much an architectural thing as it is a fan thing. Arena floors are typically below ground level. The floor at MSG is 5 stories above ground level - which makes the floor literally shake when it gets really loud. Add in the way the roof radiates the crowd noise back down and it just gives it a uniqueness that no other arena can match.
It's also great for concerts, and whether one likes it or not, most artists playing at MSG know it's special. I loved going to that run of 8 U2 shows there during the I&E tour, but have had a bunch of great concert experiences at the place.

In other news, Mitch Robinson is out for the season. Fuck Embiid.

It's also great for concerts, and whether one likes it or not, most artists playing at MSG know it's special. I loved going to that run of 8 U2 shows there during the I&E tour, but have had a bunch of great concert experiences at the place.
Oh no doubt - I feel it's for the same reasons. Great sound, great acoustics in the building. You're always going to draw a diverse crowd from all over the world for NYC shows. The bands know the press will be out covering them.

And the floor literally bounces.

Back
Top Bottom