SOE 23 - Return of the Trolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So quick !!! How many producers are there in SOA ? 100 ?

This is awesome. In all seriousness though, I was thinking about this the other day and I predict that if the "spacious, vast" songs are popular they may have Eno or Barlow produce most of SOA, going hard onto the aesthetic people liked, maybe to the point of overkill. It's sort of the norm for them.

Now, I do love the idea of that, and I'm making a baseless forecast, but who knows.

I sort of like the fact that it is others who are claiming that the songs are great and not just Bono tooting his own horn. Yes, he's made a comment or 3 about SoE but so far the bulk of the reviews are from DJs and musical insiders.

ooooh
look what you made me do
look what you made me do
look what you just made me do

remember when it'd been 5 years since a record and all we had was an Aslan cover?

Any more hints on what little tidbits we may get today RD?
Or are we having to wait til next week.

I mean Valencia just put a black box over part of their FB picture. So it MUST be imminent. :| Fuckers

Last edited:
Hey hey it's a black out....yeah yeah yeah yeah

Edge scratches guitar strings

Any more hints on what little tidbits we may get today RD?
Or are we having to wait til next week.

I mean Valencia just put a black box over part of there FB picture. So it MUST be imminent. :| Fuckers

I thought we were supposed to get another hint from u2 today.. something single related.. but I dunno.. doesnt seem to be anything going on

I think The Best Thing video has been taken off YouTube. It was there yesterday can't find it now.

A poster over on @U2 said this today...

Getting my hopes up, but Blackout reminds me of Electric Co., and Arcade Fire's Power Out.

Interesting. Obviously both great songs... But not really similar, except they both have a glockenspiel in them. LOL.
Either way, i'll take it as a positive. Also, can't really tell by the "getting my hopes up" part if the poster actually heard the song or heard someone else give this description.

A poster over on @U2 said this today...

Getting my hopes up, but Blackout reminds me of Electric Co., and Arcade Fire's Power Out.

Interesting. Obviously both great songs... But not really similar, except they both have a glockenspiel in them. LOL.
Either way, i'll take it as a positive. Also, can't really tell by the "getting my hopes up" part if the poster actually heard the song or heard someone else give this description.

Edge's Cat seems to know what's up.. so, probably a good source on the sound!

EDIT: though, in retrospect, citing songs with titles related to electricity/blackouts might just means s/he's hoping the songs is similar to those two, great songs

Last edited:
What I see as different this time (but perhaps I'm just running out of memory) is that we have a wide group of Radio DJs talking about the upcoming record in a very positive way. This may push the new single into heavy rotation, which didn't happen last time.
From all comments (Amsterdam fans, radio DJs and others) I foresee SOE to be a little like a raw 2nd half of SOI (from Raised by Wolves to Troubles and Crystal Ballroom SOI has 5-6 songs that could also fit the statements about SOE).

If that's the case I'll love the album. The 2nd half of SOI is one of my favourite records of all time.

Edge's Cat seems to know what's up.. so, probably a good source on the sound!

EDIT: though, in retrospect, citing songs with titles related to electricity/blackouts might just means s/he's hoping the songs is similar to those two, great songs

OH damn. I for some reason was thinking I will follow in my head. But Electric Co. is just as good.
I guess to me that makes me feel that it a song with good guitar, a little frenetic even, with a fast pace and movement.

Good to hear that it's a decent source.

So to recap, we've heard The Blackout likened to at least some characteristics of these songs:

Zoo Station
Magnificent
Vertigo
Electric Co
Power Out (Arcade Fire)
Also, I think i remember someone mention Invisible at some point...

What I see as different this time (but perhaps I'm just running out of memory) is that we have a wide group of Radio DJs talking about the upcoming record in a very positive way. This may push the new single into heavy rotation, which didn't happen last time.
From all comments (Amsterdam fans, radio DJs and others) I foresee SOE to be a little like a raw 2nd half of SOI (from Raised by Wolves to Troubles and Crystal Ballroom SOI has 5-6 songs that could also fit the statements about SOE).

If that's the case I'll love the album. The 2nd half of SOI is one of my favourite records of all time.

I was just listening to SOI and thought the same thing. Volcano serves as some kind of switch to the darker side of SOI and it is pretty great!

Legit getting excited now. Just hope they have done it.... haha And hopefully the tour Aus next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom