SOE 16: Protect This House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are jumping to conclusions based on that Billboard article, which made it seem like it was going to be more than just a couple one-off performances of TJT. The fact that they retracted that information the next day only serves to further validate those claims.

How?! So if it's true U2 management contacts them immediately and asks them to remove it, but if it's not true they let them run with it?! :facepalm:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
How?! So if it's true U2 management contacts them immediately and asks them to remove it, but if it's not true they let them run with it?! :facepalm:

To be fair, that struck me as a 50/50 - they could've pulled the article just as easily because the info was wrong as because U2 management asked them to, i.e. because it was right. Hard to say, really?

Thing is, if SoE is done, but if they've also they've committed to some sort of 'mini tour' for JT to appease Live Nation, which could delay the album release...

Can't they just 'swap' the JT tour dates for the I&E tour? Because it seems silly to sit on a finished album for the better part of a year, or to tour an old album when a new one (and with it, a new tour) is ready to go. Surely a band with as much clout as U2 can make that work?

Seems kind of ridiculous to sabotage a new release to commit to live shows, when said commitment will be realised through a new album/tour anyway!

Simply swapping dates wouldn't make any sense if some are stadium and some are arena.

I think this either/ or game is bs, why can't they happen simultaneously? Release SOE, start some IE dates, then in markets they think it will work they play a stadium gig for JT, then a few more arena shows, then a stadium, etc.

To be fair, that struck me as a 50/50 - they could've pulled the article just as easily because the info was wrong as because U2 management asked them to, i.e. because it was right. Hard to say, really?

That's pretty much my point, but to claim that it validates only one conclusion is... well illogical.

Simply swapping dates wouldn't make any sense if some are stadium and some are arena.

I think this either/ or game is bs, why can't they happen simultaneously? Release SOE, start some IE dates, then in markets they think it will work they play a stadium gig for JT, then a few more arena shows, then a stadium, etc.

Sure, in terms of admin it wouldn't make sense to go from stadium to arena (different venues/owners, different capacities, ticket sales etc) but surely in terms of giving Live nation what they want (ticket sales), they could just say "never mind this JT mini tour; we have a new album done so we'll just restart the I&E tour". The latter would surely sell more overall anyway, right? If the album is done, they could release it in january, start up I&E in the spring/summer instead of a JT promotional tour. Just seems crazy to halt a new album and a new tour to do... a different kind of tour.

Anyway, I agree with your second point. A SoE that is "done", plus "some very special shows" for Joshua Tree sure sounds like both at the same time to me. I sure hope that's what is happening here.

The emphasis on the video is about The Joshua Tree 30th anniversary,not on the release of SoE.

My gut feeling is that spring will be about TJT celebration and fall about the release of SoE

As for the relaunching of the I and E tour?...early 2018

The emphasis on the video is about The Joshua Tree 30th anniversary,not on the release of SoE.

My gut feeling is that spring will be about TJT celebration and fall about the release of SoE

As for the relaunching of the I and E tour?...early 2018
Right.

Bono starts with SOE, but the clear emphasis of that video was The Joshua Tree, decorating a Christmas Joshua Tree, and special special shows honoring the Joshua Tree.

Joshua Tree.

Songs of Experience was an afterthought.

Obviously without an official statement or explanation, everything is open to interpretation. But to me it's clear that the main focus and what they wanted to draw the most attention to was the Joshua Tree 30th anniversary, not when Songs of Experience would be released.

Right.

Bono starts with SOE, but the clear emphasis of that video was The Joshua Tree, decorating a Christmas Joshua Tree, and special special shows honoring the Joshua Tree.

Joshua Tree.

Obviously without an official statement or explanation, everything is open to interpretation. But to me it's clear that the main focus and what they wanted to draw the most attention to was the Joshua Tree 30th anniversary, not when Songs of Experience would be released.

:up::up:

This band seriously needs a manager

Right.

Joshua Tree.

And the band and LiveNation want to make money. SOE the album won't make money. An arena tour for SOE will make modest money. A stadium tour for Joshua Tree 30 will make more money.

I don't think they sell well in stadia (in the US) if its the SOE/continuation of i and e tour. I think the Joshua Tree anniversary tour would sell a lot more tickets. (Unless SOE blows everyone away, but given the last decade and a half, that's unlikely)

This band seriously needs a manager

Possibly the most crucial missing link in the U2 family since Paul left. Oseary just feels like a passenger to those looking in from the outside. What has he actually brought to the table?

And the band and LiveNation want to make money. SOE the album won't make money. An arena tour for SOE will make modest money. A stadium tour for Joshua Tree 30 will make more money.

I don't think they sell well in stadia (in the US) if its the SOE/continuation of i and e tour. I think the Joshua Tree anniversary tour would sell a lot more tickets. (Unless SOE blows everyone away, but given the last decade and a half, that's unlikely)

Maybe they'll try and piggyback SOE onto this JT30 tour and force more people to listen to it? Wanna come to the JT30 tour? Gotta buy SOE to qualify to buy tickets. Wanna listen to JT played start to finish? Gotta listen to 6 songs from SOE before the break. A bit more of the force feeding ala iTunes release method.

Also, it's a bit harder to say that U2 won't let anything get in the way of a new album release anymore. They let the release method get in the way of SOI.

I'm a buyer of the idea that Live Nation have taken them to task for their meagre returns over the past 2 years. Here's my guess as to what has happened -

Live Nation will have considered the prospect of the SOE tour being similar to the SOI tour in terms of revenue and U2 then doing their usual thing and disappearing for another 3-4 years.

Faced with that scenario, Live Nation have forced U2 to come up with a touring schedule that generates additional revenue. As a result the band have (reluctantly) come up with the idea of doing the JT stadium shows. There will be as few of them as required to create the additional revenue that Live Nation wants.

The JT shows otherwise make no sense given this band's attitude to the past over their entire history.

+1 to Paul McGuinness for exiting when he did.

Last edited:
Bono does seem half assed in his excitement for Songs Of Experience in that video. It's like eating your vegetables first to get to the good stuff. Granted it's Christmas time so decorating the Joshua tree was a nice touch but clearly it seems like marketing these Joshua Tree shows are what's going to be the main focus for now. Hopefully Songs Of Experience is the first we see from them but I doubt it now. I am thankful and excited that they are confirming that they will be back next year however!

Last edited:
I'm a buyer of the idea that Live Nation have taken them to task for their meagre returns over the past 2 years. Here's my guess as to what has happened -

Live Nation will have considered the prospect of the SOE tour being similar to the SOI tour in terms of revenue and U2 then doing their usual thing and disappearing for another 3-4 years.

Faced with that scenario, Live Nation have forced U2 to come up with a touring schedule that generates additional revenue. As a result the band have (reluctantly) come up with the idea of doing the JT stadium shows. There will be as few of them as required to create the additional revenue that Live Nation wants.

The JT shows otherwise make no sense given this band's attitude to the past over their entire history.

It so goes against the grain of what they stand for and preach, at least the official line. I have no problem with them celebrating JT, but not at the expense of a new album and new tour, especially if JT30 is a big enough tour. And that comes from someone who would love to see a gig on the JT30 tour.

I would also bet the ticket prices could be interesting.........as in expensive!!!

I feel like the NJ shows at giant stadium are a lock for JT. Every middle aged person I know in NJ who is a Bruce fanatic, 90% own a copy of the Joshua Tree even if they aren't huge u2 fans. It's usually placed right below Born To Run on their cd towers! They would sell that stadium out multiple nights based on the Joshua Tree gimmick. I think we forget sometimes how huge that album really was for the band with the "fans" that thought they "sold out" or "never were the same after the Joshua Tree".

"I haven't listened to U2 since the Joshua Tree, Brenda, let's go see them"!

$$$

Last edited:

And exactly what would LN be holding over U2's head?

They were paid upfront, and LN are obligated to promote and share profits.

McGuinness wasn't stupid, he got out at the right time!

I still think the most likely scenario, and I presume we are all guessing here, is that the album was supposed to be ready for xmas, with a launch coinciding with ihr.
Edge got cold feet, the band went back to work, and now it's essentially done.
The JT thing does strike me as an idea that's neither come from nor been enthusiastically endorsed by the band. I really have no clue how that one will play out.
But album isn't far off, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

And exactly what would LN be holding over U2's head?

They were paid upfront, and LN are obligated to promote and share profits.

Live Nation owns the bastard step child that is the combination of Maverick and Principle Management. They are Guy Oseary's boss. It's not just the tours, fanclub and marketing anymore. They control everything other than publishing, but even then, control the person out in charge of negotiating said publishing deals. They can put a LOT of pressure on U2.

Rumour on Facebook...
Estadio Azteca in Mexico in May, tickets in January.
Not sure of how strong the source is, just reporting what's there, there are screenshots on @u2 forums

Last edited:
Didn't realise how long ago they signed with live nation, march 2008! LN got 360 the next year so must have been pretty pleased and thought the deal would bring in a steady stream of cash.

Now they're here with only one short(ish) arena tour since and a band that cant finish an album to save their lives, an album which I assume LN have no share in??

The deal ends in 2020 so that's just over three years left to get whatever they can squeeze out of what they might see as a bit of a disappointing arrangement? Seems like a last resort to turn the heat up on U2 at this stage but it'll be interesting to see what the band do after the partnership ends.

"Very special shows" sounds like a handful of shows, maybe festivals. We'll pretty soon because of the JT anniversary.. I doubt they would do an entire Joshua Tree tour and then SOE tour. It would just be over-saturation. Most likely they would do some update to the album for the live versions and perform the entire album at special venues in March and maybe record it for a Blu-ray. Then the tour would be what it normally is with the album after that.

Crossing fingers for Red Hill Mining Town.:pray:

Maybe they'll try and piggyback SOE onto this JT30 tour and force more people to listen to it? Wanna come to the JT30 tour? Gotta buy SOE to qualify to buy tickets. Wanna listen to JT played start to finish? Gotta listen to 6 songs from SOE before the break. A bit more of the force feeding ala iTunes release method.

Also, it's a bit harder to say that U2 won't let anything get in the way of a new album release anymore. They let the release method get in the way of SOI.
I think that's pushing it a bit too far. But the hype a JT tour will create among old fans who possibly were not interested in U2 after JT will certainly help sell SOE and tickets to the i+e tour.

"Very special shows" sounds like a handful of shows, maybe festivals. We'll pretty soon because of the JT anniversary.. I doubt they would do an entire Joshua Tree tour and then SOE tour. It would just be over-saturation. Most likely they would do some update to the album for the live versions and perform the entire album at special venues in March and maybe record it for a Blu-ray. Then the tour would be what it normally is with the album after that.

Crossing fingers for Red Hill Mining Town.:pray:

Yeah, it does feel like they risk over saturating the market if they do a stadium tour, then immediately do another tour which is actually the continuation of a 2-3 year old show.
That's what gives me a little hope that the stadium shows will be limited in number, perhaps alongside I&E.

Sure, they could just tour the US and Europe for JT, then tour I&E in places it didn't go to the first time... But surely they'd want SoE up front and center in whatever they do, not just promoted in live markets that were too small to tour in back in 2015...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom