Shuttlecock XXV: Cool Hats Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
20 Years since HTDAAB.

I’m enjoying Country Mile. It’s no classic and I’ll probably wear it out pretty quickly.

But this release has got me all nostalgic for the build up to this album.

The endless speculation on here about tracklists and what songs would sound like. I spent hours on here.

The general sense of disappointment in the album title. And that bloody awful album cover.

The leaked beach clips (Miracle Drug in particular had me anticipating it to be U2’s finest ever moment. It wasn’t). Those beach clips hit different.

Preordering the Deluxe version from a defunct JB Hi Fi in the city and excitedly picking up after uni. Retailed at $64 I think. Was still on the shelf 10 years later for $15.

I watched the DVD and read Bono’s Book of Scribbles plenty of times. I even remember the smell of it.

The local commercial rock radio station’s first play of Vertigo, and then subsequently every hour after that. Recording it onto cassette. But still buying the CD single. And upon the release of the album, the radio station played a new song from the album every hour.

What a time it was

I remember the post ATYCLB momentum the band had at the time going into 2004. Things seemed on the up & up. releasing the second best of, which had some questionable choices/mixes. The Mysterious Ways edit… but Electrical Storm was a cool single. I kind of remember (I think) it was KCRW hinting they’d debut Vertigo and Henry Rollins had a show at the time and he trolled people right?

I remember the post ATYCLB momentum the band had at the time going into 2004. Things seemed on the up & up. releasing the second best of, which had some questionable choices/mixes. The Mysterious Ways edit… but Electrical Storm was a cool single. I kind of remember (I think) it was KCRW hinting they’d debut Vertigo and Henry Rollins had a show at the time and he trolled people right?
Man I remember that Henry Rollins stunt. What a tool lol

I honestly can't believe that was 20 years ago already. Fuck I'm old.

Man I remember that Henry Rollins stunt. What a tool lol

I honestly can't believe that was 20 years ago already. Fuck I'm old.
Yeah, like I've come to accept that there are some people that are just always going to hate U2. I have good friends that hate them and tease me about it. But Rollins seemed to almost be obsessed with his hate for them.

I remember Rollins only acknowledging Bono’s humanitarian work as legit and also praising Eno’s production on Zooropa. That’s the only good things he’s ever said relating to the band.
From what I read in books about the 80s punk era and bands (Minor Threat and Black Flag) it seemed like a lot of people in bands that were within Henry’s scope of influence were kind of influenced by early U2 and wanted to go in that direction and I guess seemed off putting to others that just wanted to stay a certain way. It probably didn’t help that U2 evolved pretty rapidly from the Boy album to Joshua Tree in terms of sound and popularity.

Was the start of my fandom, too. A very special time.
Me too. Crazy that it was two decades ago now. I'd sneak on Interference in the school library to see if there was any news about the next album in 2003–04. Nobody ever twigged to what the pale blue screen was.

The Complete U2 in 2004 revealed how much material the band have up their sleeve, and I'd been annoyed that recent reissues didn't delve much into the archives. How, for instance, do we not have a proper release of Wild Irish Rose when anybody who's been around the scene knows there's a full recording. But this HTDAAB anniversary release is honestly impressive. Sure, I can't say Country Mile has left much of a mark on me, and it's been so long since I've listened to Xanax & Wine that on my first listen to Picture of You, I didn't realise it had a slightly different structure. But it's nice they've opened the archive and the Axver of 15–20 years ago would've lost his fucking mind.

Back
Top Bottom