New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are they really that attached to their songs? I feel like in the 84 years between albums now, they could release little EPs of unreleased songs from any era. Maybe clean up the sound / mix a little bit and let us have it.

Even live albums would be killer.

Instead we wait and wait only to get Song for Someone x3 ;)

Not excited anymore about a new album. They disappointed too much the last years with their releases and their US residency's. (Sphere and Bono stories).

I'd wish the band would do a sort of 5x5 Simple Minds tour. BOY - The Unforgettable fire with deep cuts and deliver a nice live album.

Not excited anymore about a new album. They disappointed too much the last years with their releases and their US residency's. (Sphere and Bono stories).

I'd wish the band would do a sort of 5x5 Simple Minds tour. BOY - The Unforgettable fire with deep cuts and deliver a nice live album.
Not particularly excited if Atomic City is an indication of the way forward. It's an unbelievably beige piece of 'rawk' music in the vein of Miracle, American Soul..... something that thinks its heavier hitting than it really is. Sounds unbelievably sterile in recording too.

Something rougher and spikier, much more in the vein of post-punk than rock, would be better if they are intent of 'rocking out'.

I prefer The Blackout by a considerable margin, and even if that has some goofy lyrics, so does Atomic City. Great chorus that doesn't require having to sample Blondie.

Not to say that I dislike Atomic City; I'll certainly take it over Get Out and The Miracle.

Blackout definitely up there. And on the damning with faint praise comment - I get that Bono often talks about punk rock from Venus, but when have they ever been a really “spiky” or “rough” or “dirty” rock band? Even Boy has a sheen to it that separated it from punk.

I think the U2 fans that expect something with more bite or hardness to it than the standard fare they serve up is kidding themselves.

Blackout definitely up there. And on the damning with faint praise comment - I get that Bono often talks about punk rock from Venus, but when have they ever been a really “spiky” or “rough” or “dirty” rock band? Even Boy has a sheen to it that separated it from punk.

I think the U2 fans that expect something with more bite or hardness to it than the standard fare they serve up is kidding themselves.
Yea the pre-album hyperbole definitely needs to be taken with a grain of salt. The amount of sessions they typically have for each record these days inevitably leads to different sounds that Bono might latch onto and excitedly talk or brag about… before they get Lillywhite’d or whatever.

I’d say the spike-iest U2 have ever been is Raised By Wolves.

Blackout is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than Atomic City. What a great single/video

Spot on! And if I’m not mistaken - aren’t they in the very same key??

The only thought I had about it that might mitigate the ridiculousness of it is thy maybe they just decided - “let’s be blatant about it. These two songs came from the same original draft - so let’s sit side by side and just own it.”
I believe so, yes!

And good point regarding the blatant aspect. If that was the thinking behind that, I can sort of see where they felt it was best to just lean in and embrace it. I know when I’ve dabbled with writing songs, I usually tried to avoid using those four chords or the very same progression for a standalone project, just to preserve some originality. Funny thing is I don’t really mind either song in the end either, and might even prefer GOOYOW despite its somewhat more obvious derivative nature (the Beautiful Day references and so on).

Yea the pre-album hyperbole definitely needs to be taken with a grain of salt. The amount of sessions they typically have for each record these days inevitably leads to different sounds that Bono might latch onto and excitedly talk or brag about… before they get Lillywhite’d or whatever.

I’d say the spike-iest U2 have ever been is Raised By Wolves.
Yeah! Raised by Wolves is so underrated here! I always point to that when people say Edge is missing from Songs of... era.

SOE, I go back and forth. Tend to have the same evaluation as others here- high highs, low lows.

I was thoroughly satisfied by SOI and almost 10 years later, still rate the album itself and era with the 2015 tour to be their best since AB. I

Just suffered from a massive unforced error at the kick off (Apple) and less so from not having a big hit.

Despite all that, I&E saw some truly inspired U2 shows and I don't think it's mentioned enough how they rallied after the Apple backlash and Bono's bike accident. I remember the tour getting rave professional reviews- and even some that mentioned talking to casual fans or people who had gone with friends, etc who were ready to hate it and had their minds blown.

Not particularly excited if Atomic City is an indication of the way forward. It's an unbelievably beige piece of 'rawk' music in the vein of Miracle, American Soul..... something that thinks its heavier hitting than it really is. Sounds unbelievably sterile in recording too.

Something rougher and spikier, much more in the vein of post-punk than rock, would be better if they are intent of 'rocking out'.

Atomic City received more play on the Alt Nation channel on SiriusXM than any song since Magnificent.

I've kinda gone back and forth with Atomic City. When it first came out I was dismissive of it, as I found the beginning of the song you could mix The Miracle over it and have it line up pretty well (Yes they are different songs, to me it's just the generic guitar and thump of the two songs). I do like some of the Clash sounding guitar during the pre chorus, and Edge and Bono playing off each other. Then the chorus is pretty typical for later stage U2....despite the Blondie influence

I'm more bummed with the Bono lyrics and his insistence on trying to come up with clever one liners "If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough". It has always seemed like he's trying to channel John Lennon

I am hoping for a little more subtleness to Bono's lyrics, but I am not banking on it. Both he and Edge seem to be attached to creating the perfect little 3 min pop tune....vs their 4-6 min weirdness they used to produce

Hate to break it, but they always wrote “pop” songs. Streets and WOWY are just versions of D-G-B minor-A, which are half the songs you’ll hear on the radio anyway.

Big hooks have always been a part of the equation, as much as some would prefer Cedars Part 2 and the like (and which is a rather small part of the output anyway).

Atomic City received more play on the Alt Nation channel on SiriusXM than any song since Magnificent.

Yeah but how much of that was organic tho and not just part of their deal with Sirius? I had my car set to notify me when Sirius XM played U2 and there was quite a few times where 3-5 different stations were playing a U2 song at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom