IO: I want to be the very best.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OMG I totally forgot Ludicolo and Breloom.

Especially Breloom I've used in competitive battling for SO long. It completely WRECKS teams when there's no sleep clause(in competitive, you often had sleep clause that makes it so that only 1 pokemon on your team can be asleep at a time, to prevent sleepwrecks like Breloom owning an entire team).

Spore/mach punch/leech seed/substitute. Epic Pwnage.

I had a ludicolo on my Kyogre team, since drizzle makes him extremely sexy with either Swift Swim or Rain Dish, STAB surf and giga drain, leech seed and the electricity neutrality. :love:

Shit I miss third gen :sad: I had so much fun all those years.

Ordered an iPhone 5s, and apparently the nds emulator doesn't lag on it. Pumped to play Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and Black/White, neither gen I've played before.

Get Heart Gold or Soul Silver while you're at it. :D They're epic.

Also Platinum >>>>>>> Diamond/Pearl. I was really meh with Diamond but Platinum was better storywise and such. Black and Black2 were pretty meh again, I finished the league, never touched htem again. Glad I didn't buy those.

Having just stopped playing Liquid Crystal due to the hack being error-riddled towards the end, I don't think I'll be going near HG or SS for a while, unless you can give me a really good reason.

I hope the gen 4 and 5 games will be fun.

I've loved Silver and it used to be my favourite handheld game, until I started playing Soul Silver. That reason enough for ya? :p

But really, it fixed all the tiny annoyances in G/S(like thunderbolt/flamehtrower/icebeam not being available, the complete lack of evolutionary stones asides from Bill's dad). And it keeps the replay value of G/S up, possibly making it even higher. There are more challenges to do after the 2nd league even, the inclusion of Metwo's cave, the Gymleader rematch feature, the Pokethlon(which is alos where you can get new items), Safari zone, so much stuff was added making it even more perfect than it was.

Also for gen4: Infernape is the shit. :D On Diamond I made the mistake on starting with Piplup, man Empoleon sucks ballz. Infernape however is pretty amazing. And by amazing I mean it rips through enemy teams like we raped Spain last friday. :D

Playing Platinum. Pretty impressed so far, the graphics/landscapes are pretty amazing, certainly really adds something that was missing from the first three gens. Some of these pokemon are stupid as fuck, but enjoying it.

Have thoroughly enjoyed Platinum. Pokemon are for the most part pretty cool, a lot of the move animations are awesome, and Rock Climb is a really sweet HM.

The elite four kinda suck though. I just curbstomped Flint (third, fire) and his entire team with five earthquakes from Garchomp. Was much much easier than the rival battle before entering and the first two.

:lol: Well there's a reason Garchomp is in the UBER tier in competitive 4th gen battling. He's kinda a wee bit overpowered. :wink:

BUt a great ingame pokemon to use. Gible are a pain in the arse to find tho. Nice going with that! :D
What was the rest of your team?

there are tiers? is there a list or something?

Garchomp is great now (besides the 4x weakness to ice) but fuck me Gible and Gabite were such a pain in the arse. Neither of their stats are that great and it took a long time to train before it finally evolved and got a boost. Also Gible wasn't hard to find in Platinum, it was in Wayward Cave and Gabite was in victory road.

I use a mix of Garchomp, Golduck, Scyther, Roselia (sky high sp. atk), Giratina (great def and sp. def), Infernape, Mr Mime (who dies in a second if it gets a physical hit), Luxray, Rhydon, Quagsire (awful stats all round), Staraptor (an absolute fuckin boss), Glaceon (slays with Blizzard when it hits), Houndoom, Azelf and Tentacruel.

I'll actually go so far as to say the first elite four leader is hardest of all four. Leads with Lv49 Yanmega which gets a speed boost every turn, has high attack and also has U-Turn to damage and switch out. Heracross is super powerful. And the lv53 Drapion is I think the hardest pokemon anyone in the elite four has, maybe aside from the Lv53 Gliscor. The poison/dark type means its only weakness is 2x to ground, but it has Ice Fang to destroy ground types.

Oh there are many tiers for competitive battling, depending on what server you're using. Most common tiers are from Smogon, their site was something like smogonuniversity.com if I recall correctly. You basically have NU, not used, UU, underused, OU, overused and Uber, which has legendaries and the high stats pokemon. So in order to have fairer fights, people tend to battle within their tier, getting a team of pokemon in their tier. Most common is OU, of course, and that consists of the most pokemon anyway. NU is usually unevolved stuff, UU is the less strong but still fun stuff.

:hmm: You got lucky then, or you knew it's location, since Gible is only in a very specific part of Wayward cave.

Whaha, props for Mr. Mime. :lol: Staraptor and Infernape were in my team as well, their atk and spd is amazing. These two should've had no issues with the first boss. Drapion is a pain in the arse yea, I think I used Close Combat on him with Infernape to get rid of him easily.

Just curious, which Giratina do you use? Altered or Origin? I assume Altered here. :p
The origin forme's attack and spatk are higher than his defenses, though that depends on the nature of course as well. The Altered forme (original one) has higher defenses than offenses. So depending on how you want to use Giratina, you can pick the rigth form for it. It has a pretty respectable movepool too.

If you're not intending to battle human beings, I've discovered that by far and away the most important stats are attack and speed. Get a nice variety of fast, powerful Pokemon, add in a tank for the longer fights and you'll breeze through the game like it's nothing.

The special attacks are often what wipe Pokemon out though.

The other annoying pain in the arse I forgot was Vespiquen. Again high fucking def and sp def and because it has Heal Order (which restores half HP) and Defence Order it can be a pain in the arse to beat. It uses Heal Order first when you have hit it four, five times, then Defence Order, which make both attacks and special attacks less effective. I usually just quit and restart :lol:

And GG you must be thinking of Diamond and Pearl. In Platinum it's all throughout Wayward Cave.

I assume Altered form, didn't know there were two, how do you get the other one? I've got it armed with Ominous Wind (can raise stats)/Hyper BEam/Dragon Claw/Shadow Force.

Partly true Lemel, just make sure you balance attack and special attack pokemon in your team. There's certain tanks you can't beat with just physical offense alone, since the types are now determining if it's an atk of spatk move. :)

Ah forgot about that indeed Cobbler, they made it easier in Platinum then.

Okay, the Origin forme is what he looks like in the distorted world. Just like Palkia and Dialga in Diamond and Pearl, Giratina can also get his "Orb" item, the Griseous orb. That raises attack and spatk for him and shifts his forme.

Hyper beam is still a really shitty attack. :lol: But I guess in game it works. Just a waste of a slot to me. You're good on the other ones though Ominous wind is a spatk move I think, while Dragon Claw and Shadow Force are physical. Shadow Sneak is pretty neat on him too, it's like Quick Attack but then Ghost, has priority.

Just became champion!

Luxray, lv50, Crunch/Swagger/Thunder/Thunder Fang
Azelf, lv51, Psychic/Charge Beam/Future Sight/Nasty Plot
Giratina, lv51, Ominous Wind/Hyper Beam/Dragon Claw/Shadow Force
Garchomp, lv54, Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Crunch/Dragon Pulse
Infernape, lv54, Brick Break/Close Combat/Flame Wheel/Fire Blast
Glaceon, lv50, Swagger/Avalanche/Blizzard/Last Resort

Beat Spiritomb with Swagger and Thunder, Garchomp with a Blizzard after Glaceon survived an Earthquake, Milotic with Nasty Plot/Psychic, Roserade with Psychic, Lucario with an Earthquake and then wore Togekiss down. It appears there's more to do post-game than in other games so that's cool!

you mean smugleaf?

I have to figure out a way to hack this thing, I'm playing on my phone and it looks like you don't gain any experience in hacked ROMs, which is kind of an impediment to playing the game.

You could use an emulator on your pc to play it properly. No$gba is a good DS emulator. Roms are easily found. I use a ds lite with an M3 real card myself, can play pretty much all DS roms on that. Shame it doesn't work for my 3DS though. I'll buy Alpha Sapphire when it comes out. Didn't buy black and black2, played through the story mode and got bored, so that was that.

Oh, has anyone played the crossover game Pokemon Conquest? It's also for the DS I think, I loved it! :D

Back
Top Bottom