Glastonbury Setlist Party II: Electric Boogaloo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeannieco said:
With the white scarf? It kind of looks like her but her hair is longer than that now. I can't tell.:hmm: But ya, how sweet of him....he looked so emotional too like he was going to cry. They are such a great couple ....she is his rock!:heart:

I thought it was her but maybe not, but then why pan up there just aftet the shoutout, great version of wowy anyway, infact amazing gig with a supposex none U2 crowd giving mass singalong

I thought it was her but maybe not, but then why pan up there just aftet the shoutout, great version of wowy anyway, infact amazing gig with a supposex none U2 crowd giving mass singalong

Ya, the crowd singing was fantastic! Throughout the whole gig I thought! :applaud:
You could tell that Bono (from what he said in the interview afterwards) had to be careful on the stage because it was like ice it was so slippery up there from that wicked rain. I noticed him holding back a little on stage...but glad he did! And they were so far from the crowd that was weird! But still there was a great vibe from what I could tell!

Ya, the crowd singing was fantastic! Throughout the whole gig I thought! :applaud:
You could tell that Bono (from what he said in the interview afterwards) had to be careful on the stage because it was like ice it was so slippery up there from that wicked rain. I noticed him holding back a little on stage...but glad he did! And they were so far from the crowd that was weird! But still there was a great vibe from what I could tell!

ahhhh so thats why he seems so reserved from the few parts i've seen so far on youtube.

oops edit.

my dumb little favorite part was Bono's last "swinging to the music" in Vertigo, going mental. just kind of amusing.

WOW!!!

What an amazing show.

Amazing crowd, amazing songs. Amazing performance all around.

So happy they brought out Bad! That was one they just HAD to play here!

Also, closing with Out of Control was probably one of the best ideas this band has ever had. I wonder who convinced them to do it...if they chose that one themselves or if it was Willie's idea or what....

And what happened to City of Blinding Lights???? I thought that would be a lock for sure, seeing as how that's almost as much of a crowd sing-along moment as Still Haven't Found is!

Oh well, wonderful, wonderful show.

If anyone finds download links for audio and video bootlegs, be sure to pass those along!
:wave::wave:

Heh, rarely have I seen the band so uncomfortable at the beginning as here - loads of fuck-ups (especially when starting both Even Better Than the Real Thing and Streets), but that was part of the charm. It just made those 4 superstars a bit more human, without having to rely on claws, McDonalds arches, 40-foot lemons, huge LED screens and all the other bullshit.

The crowd was great, although of course mute for the songs that I thought were the best ones in the set (The Fly and Until the End of the World), but the band did a great job at balancing the setlist for those who wanted the hits. And they did delete the two songs that I dislike tremendously in the 360 set - Crazy Tonight and Walk On. Bono was especially on form, singing stuff like With or Without You and Pride like he means it, despite some weird ad-libs.

Anyway, if those stripped-down arena tour rumours come true, I hope we're in for a treat.

Yeah I noticed the screw ups with Real Thing and Streets as well.

Streets sounded like Edge was starting and stopping the intro about six times, but it still turned out great. Also, Bad was just a fantastic and emotional performance tonight.

Three of their most emotional songs (Pride, WOWY, and Bad) were sung absolutely brilliantly by Bono. He seemed to be pouring his heart into those songs and really meaning what he was singing about. Great, great stuff.

Hmmm, interesting and kinda cool that during WOWY they used the Love is Blindness constellation graphics from Zoo TV. Mysterious Ways had the spinning girl too. And of course The Fly ain't quite The Fly without its sensory overload messages. :drool:

great gig, they were wonderful! and was just so heart-warming to see the crowd singing along... big congrats to the boys, they nailed it!

Heh, rarely have I seen the band so uncomfortable at the beginning as here - loads of fuck-ups (especially when starting both Even Better Than the Real Thing and Streets), but that was part of the charm. It just made those 4 superstars a bit more human, without having to rely on claws, McDonalds arches, 40-foot lemons, huge LED screens and all the other bullshit.

Yeah you're right, it took a few songs to really get going, honestly think they were a bit nervous, though the rain can't have helped.. Got me dancing round my living room though :)

The crowd was great, although of course mute for the songs that I thought were the best ones in the set (The Fly and Until the End of the World), but the band did a great job at balancing the setlist for those who wanted the hits. And they did delete the two songs that I dislike tremendously in the 360 set - Crazy Tonight and Walk On. Bono was especially on form, singing stuff like With or Without You and Pride like he means it, despite some weird ad-libs.

Anyway, if those stripped-down arena tour rumours come true, I hope we're in for a treat.

Spot on, accept for the fact that Bono was not so much on form IMO, he looked extremely tired I thought and struggled sometimes (jetlag?). The streets segue was kinda embarrasing but like you said it made it " more real" in a strange way..

What I really do not understand is the logitics. How in the world do " they" plan a show on wednesday in the US and then play one of the biggest festivals in the world after 20 years + on friday. They had jetlag written all over their faces. Having being to the States on a number of occassions I know that you normally are messed up for a couple of days. Another " negative": the stage was way too far away from the crowd...

So in all all, good effort, good selection of song allthough I think it MOS was a let down (even as a fan I can not stand the song, let alone someone completely unfamiliar with their newer repetoire) but a bold move at the same time. They decided to play OOC as the last song. Looked spontanious to me.

8 out of 10

ello :sexywink:

people here are still pumped after last night, boys really surprised everyone, so far heard only positive comments :heart::hug:

now off to find some breakfast in mud :lol:

Hmmm, interesting and kinda cool that during WOWY they used the Love is Blindness constellation graphics from Zoo TV.

Those constellation graphics have been used in three different tours for three different songs:
  • Zoo TV: Love Is Blindness
  • Popmart: Where The Streets Have No Name
  • Elevation: With Or Without You

In the absence of a mirrorball the constellation graphics are a nice substitute.

Spot on, accept for the fact that Bono was not so much on form IMO, he looked extremely tired I thought and struggled sometimes (jetlag?). The streets segue was kinda embarrasing but like you said it made it " more real" in a strange way..

He was far from perfect from a technical point of view, struggling with his falsetto especially, but he really put all he could into it. It was the mix of his vocals and the stripped-down feel of it all that made stuff like Pride and With or Without You seem almost fresh. And I even liked the acoustic Stay. Bad was pretty good too, despite that out-of-place snippet in the middle.

The one thing that bothered me with his performance is something that he started doing lately - these weird ad-libs and improvisational lyrics that replace the original ones - in a terrible way at that. There's one moment in Streets where he tries to improvise and fails miserably, which was one of the funnier moments of the evening.

The show was great , especially The Fly , Bad and Out Of Control:drool:

I`m glad they played Glastonbury this year and not last year.
What would that setlist have looked like?
Opening with Stingray (wich is ok) and B.Day instead of the AB\Zoo start.
And offcourse they would`ve played Glastonbury (their best song ever:wink:)

Oh yeah , and since B.B. King was there yesterday , they could`ve played When Love Come To Town:wink:

Cheers , Mauwer

ello :sexywink:

people here are still pumped after last night, boys really surprised everyone, so far heard only positive comments :heart::hug:

now off to find some breakfast in mud :lol:

that is great to hear! cheers! enjoy the rest of the festival!

nice four-star review in The Guardian today :up:

U2 at Glastonbury 2011 - review | Music | guardian.co.uk

U2 at Glastonbury 2011 - review
Pyramid stage

Dorian Lynskey
guardian.co.uk, Saturday 25 June 2011 01.21 BST

"Look at you!" cries Bono midway through U2's opening song, Even Better Than the Real Thing. "A whole city in the rain." Dreadful weather has a way of focusing the mind. U2's booking has divided festivalgoers since it was first announced, before Bono's back injury forced a postponement. But their healthy back catalogue and formidable showmanship seems well-placed to raise sodden spirits.

Working with an additional video screen, they reach back to the early-90s not just with an opening salvo of songs from Achtung Baby but with the frenetic visual overload of the Zoo TV tour. It finds them at their fiercest and most urgent, The Edge wrenching bolts of noise from his guitar during Until the End of the World. One and Where the Streets Have No Name, usually preserved for the finale of their touring set, follow. It's a lean, combative, frontloaded set calibrated to win the unconverted at their first festival show since the 80s. You can't persuade everyone of course, but it's good to see a band this big taking nothing for granted.

Aside from an a cappella verse of Jerusalem, Bono wisely keeps the Avalon blarney to a minimum. "Could be the leylines," he begins. "Could be the jetlag. But it's a very special feeling being here." He has an instinct for the right gesture. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking for closes with a refrain from Moving on Up by Primal Scream, who are headlining the Other stage. In a flamboyant coup de theatre (Look! We have friends in space!) he enlists an astronaut to recite lyrics during Beautiful Day from the international space station. Other memorable moments are generated by the crowd. They take a whole verse of I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, while a field of flags blowing in the night breeze during Sunday Bloody Sunday intensifies the song's martial feel.

If there's a problem, apart from the wretched weather, it's that the opening sprint is never equalled for energy (and, thanks to the wind, volume), though Beautiful Day, Elevation and Vertigo come close. In the encore, after a glittering With or Without You, the sombre Moment of Surrender feels anticlimactic: a big moment for U2's fanbase but not well-known to anyone else. But they pull it back with a rampaging version of their punky debut single Out of Control, a reminder of when they were unknowns with everything to prove. Thirty years later, on unfamiliar ground, they reach for that fierce hunger and it's that sense of urgency – even a hint of nerves – rather than triumphalism that makes this such a charged and memorable set.

eRxCe.jpg

:lol:

I thought they did well. Yes, they were nervous (perhaps no bad thing) but they were effective. It was nice to hear a lean version of 'One': no lengthy introduction, no oversinging or singing behind the melody. In fact, I haven't heard Bono sing it in quite that way for a long time. I would have loved either HMTMKMKM or Discotheque in the encore but ending with OOC was an inspired move. Incidentally, I think they were right to play MOS. It is a classic, and is a reminder of their continuing relevance.

Please tell me this will be posted on u2torrents or something? Just a shame they cut out the space oddity build up to ebttrt that would have been better than having joe willey talking over it, and the bbc also cut bonos speach before ishfwilf

Not much I would change. Would have loved them to play zooropa or something instead of boots, but it's very hard to complain when they were that good.

Please tell me this will be posted on u2torrents or something? Just a shame they cut out the space oddity build up to ebttrt that would have been better than having joe willey talking over it, and the bbc also cut bonos speach before ishfwilf

U2start already has a version up :)
U2 start.com | Shows | 2011-06-24 Glastonbury, England - Glastonbury Festival
And here's the after show interview with Jo:

YouTube - ‪U2 talk to the BBC after their Glastonbury headline set‬‏

Great crowd.

Good - not great - performance.

And the setlist had too much nostalgia. And bad pacing. (show lost energy after Streets&IWF with I still haven't found + acoustic Stay, and didn't really pick up energy until Vertigo and the combination of Bad and Pride)

Where were all the surprises they were promising ?

Too mellow of an encore, but luckily OOC saved it. The highlight, with Bad.

No use the UTEOTW-NYD combo for some reason and they could have gone with the encore of UV-WOWY-40.

And don't ever play Streets this early again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom