GA Discussion / Camera policies, etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Apparently, sign-ups are happening all night at the Rose Bowl. You need to go to parking lot i to sign up and get your wrist band, but then no line ups until 7 am tomorrow (again, in lot i).

:lmao: Just popped into this thread to see if there's anything new going on and this was the first post I saw! Ah, good times... *wipes tear from eye*

Is there a general consensus amonst us all, the U2 community, of which is the best spot on the floor when experiencing the show for the very first time with GA tickets?

If you want to see the full stage, don't get too close. From what I've heard, back rail of the inner circle or against the front rail just outside the inner circle are prime spots.

GA position behind the Red Zones, is it always possible?

hmmmm, which GA thread to put this in, so many to choose from :hmm: Mods, feel free to move this if you feel it belongs elsewhere.

Hi, I'm looking for peoples experiences with the area between the back of the Red Zones & the stands.

U2 will be playing their Aussie shows in stadiums with fields much larger than those used in the North America venues (& many of the European venues). This is particularly true for the AFL ovals (Etihad & Subiaco), but also true for the rugby grounds (Suncorp & the hybrid ANZ). With the larger widths of these fields there will be a substantial distance from the back of the Red Zones to the seating (for Etihad, the distance from the front CLAW legs to the closest seats will be pretty massive - sorry to be the bearer of bad news to the folks in their $300 seats). This large area between the back of the Red Zones & the seating may be an opportunity for GA'ers to get a pretty decent spot. Not the greatest GA spot, but it'd be without a long wait, & a bit more relaxed than the outer circle (& the crush associated with being anywhere near the catwalk). The views here should be quite good, as it's quite close to the catwalk, plus for shorties, a rail spot may have a somewhat unimpeded view if the back of RZ is quite sparse (particularly if the seating at the back of RZ is occupied).

That being said, is this area behind the RZ's always open for fans? I know this area is used for access to the RZ's & into the inner circle. Once the show starts, does security allow this area to fill up with fans, or are those that have already gained access to the inner circle allowed to return to this area 'to chill'. I must admit I can't for the life of me remember whether this area filled up with people for the NA shows I attended (even when I left my RZ in Phoenix, & passed through this area, during MOS to move to the back of stage area).

Looking at crowd photos in the galleries seems pretty inconclusive. Some pictures show this area filled, while others show it clear (although many of these pics I've found were taken early, before U2 had taken the stage). Also some pics show the gates at the front CLAW legs (to allow access for RZ & the inner circle), while others do not (particularly early shows from Leg 1). Has this process (of gating the front CLAW legs & resticting access behind RZ) evolved over time, was it mainly just a NA thing (NA fire restrictions being stricter than European regulations), or does this all change depending on each venue?

For the recent Frankfurt show, here's a couple of pics (thanks to Vincent Vega & Sicy). For the 1st pic, it looks like there must be gating at the front CLAW leg, as the Outer circle is already very deep with people. But they are allowing a few people to stand behind RZ (I guess these people have already gained access to the inner circle).
IMG_6694.JPG

2nd pic, same show, opposite RZ. The area behind RZ (bottom left of pic) is filled with people.
2vuenbm.jpg

So for this show at least, it looks like they opened the flood gates before U2 took the stage.

Any personal experiences from anyone who's viewed a show from this spot behind RZ would be much appreciated. When did they allow access to this area? Did this spot give you a good view? Did there appear to be more room here than for most of the GA crowd? Also, if anyone can just remember whether this area was occupied with fans for shows they saw, that'd be cool too.

Cheers :up:
Dave

I was on the floor behind the Red Zone on Edge's side for Boston 1. I usually line up early with GA's but I wasn't feeling well, so we showed up at Gillette around 4:30 pm. There was quite a line, but when we walked onto the field, we saw hardly anyone standing behind the Red Zone, so we were right against its rail. Actually, in the first pic you posted, we were right near the claw leg on the right, where those people are sitting down. There was more room there during the show than the previous show we saw, Toronto 2, when we were right at the rail in the centre in front of the catwalk. I didn't mind seeing the show from there, other than the annoying drunken guys beside us :( and it was easy access to get to the washroom or to get something to eat before the show. The screen was also visible from there too.

Hope this helps :wave:

d.darroch, I was behind the red zone for Toronto 2 and it worked out really well. During the show, everyone in the Red Zone pushed forward towards the catwalk leaving a large gap in front of us. This was great because I'm short and no one blocked my view (with the exception of some back and forth foot traffic of people getting beer).

My camera wasn't very good but here are some shots

21b4sk8.jpg

24bjk2e.jpg

The area behind the Red Zone on Edge's side was definitely accessible in Coimbra cos that's where I was. It was far closer to the stage and had loads more space than the rest of the field, cos I walked around there from the pit on Adam's side after Interpol.

I didn't personally go into that area at any other show but it usually looked accessible. It's a great spot I reckon if you're not going to join the GA queue. I think Matt U2gigs often tries for there if he can't get in the pit, and he never joins the GA queue.

In Munich and Moscow I was on the field and there were additional security checks and blocks around the field so behind the Red Zone probably wasn't accessible.

Someone I know told me that they got on the rail behind Edge's Red Zone at one show, and promptly jumped over the fence into it when the lights went off after the support band. And they managed to stay in the Red Zone for the full show!

Someone I know told me that they got on the rail behind Edge's Red Zone at one show, and promptly jumped over the fence into it when the lights went off after the support band. And they managed to stay in the Red Zone for the full show!

:lol: Brilliant, I'll give that a shot next time I see them.

How many people fit in the Inner Circle?

is there a specific number of people that fit in the inner Circle?

I know that for the outdoors Vertigo Tour, about 3.500 people could be inside

In fact here there was a contest to be one of those 3.500 people, about 500 tickets, the other 3.000 had to be lined up early... I was ther at 11 pm the night before, and I know (because we counted) that around 6 am there were like 2000 fans lining up.

So, with the incoming Southamerican dates announce, I wanted to know, so me and my buddies at u2chile.net could give people information.

Thanks

:)

Hey everyone, just a few quick questions for those that are well rehearsed and knowledgeable with the GA systems! :wave:

Is my understanding correct, that when you go to enter the inner circle area, you get an 'inner circle' wristband? If true I guess this is a way of keeping numbers inside and it means you can go back to toilet etc without being 'relegated' out of the inner circle?

If not true, and you go out of the circle for whatever reason (ie toilet), you are not guaranteed to get back into the inner circle area?

Also, I notice on a lot of videos of this tour the small groups of people that stand at the 'edge' of the inner circle crowd and run back and forth between the band stage entrance (when they enter/exit and when Bono goes for his walks back there) and back to the inner circle area where they are kind of at right angles with the band.

Is this fun to do? Because you have more space to go nuts if you want and you get to run around! :wink: Also is it decent view from the very edge of the inner circle crowd? Obviously not as good as like centre position but can you still see?

Sorry about the long questions! :reject: Thanks for any help! :up: :wink:

Hey everyone, just a few quick questions for those that are well rehearsed and knowledgeable with the GA systems! :wave:

Is my understanding correct, that when you go to enter the inner circle area, you get an 'inner circle' wristband? If true I guess this is a way of keeping numbers inside and it means you can go back to toilet etc without being 'relegated' out of the inner circle?

Depends on the venue, you´ll get a wristband or a stamp.

If not true, and you go out of the circle for whatever reason (ie toilet), you are not guaranteed to get back into the inner circle area?

If you can show the wristband or stamp, you should have no problems getting in the inner circle. But , if you where front row.. Be prepared to give up your spot, becuase you will lose it.

Also, I notice on a lot of videos of this tour the small groups of people that stand at the 'edge' of the inner circle crowd and run back and forth between the band stage entrance (when they enter/exit and when Bono goes for his walks back there) and back to the inner circle area where they are kind of at right angles with the band.

Is this fun to do? Because you have more space to go nuts if you want and you get to run around! :wink: Also is it decent view from the very edge of the inner circle crowd? Obviously not as good as like centre position but can you still see?

Did this once, at Brussels. It was very fun , but I only recommend it if you have seen multiple nights.Its very cool to see the band come in , then you should move into the inner circle , a bit further. The band come´s around the Edge´s quite a lot, and they make sure they visit the back a couple of time´s to.
Usually they do it during certain songs (IE : Stingray,Crazy Tonight, New Years day @ the Europe leg ) Make sure you get to know how they move around a bit and you can get some good close views of the band.
The sound is great in this area as well, and when the people around you are fun you can have a blast!
Edge is mostly visible , as long as you stay a bit back from the edge of the stage/ or are very tall.:wink:
Especially when he was playing piano during NYD , Miss Sarejevo , MOS he was extremely close.

Hope that helps:D

Thanks so much domo-kun! :up: That's great info and a big help! I'll have to ensure I do that 'back of stage' kind thing one night! :wave:

Thanks so much domo-kun! :up: That's great info and a big help! I'll have to ensure I do that 'back of stage' kind thing one night! :wave:

I recommend it on a day you want to enter the stadium late.
We came in around 18:30 that evening.:D we just tried to find a good spot and that is what happened.

I was reading the first page and started to wonder....

I always carry my iPod around. Are they going to try to take that from me? It can't record anything, or take any pictures. It just plays video and sound.

I can call the venue, but maybe you guys know?

If it can't record, I highly doubt they'll take it from you. They can't ban cellphones either, though they can record things.

East Lansing has some really ridiculous policy:

policies

- Traffic access to the university and campus parking areas will open at 3 p.m. REALLY?!

The following items will be prohibited from Spartan Stadium for the U2 concert:
Purses or bags of any size

REALLY? Of ANY size?

I'm doing serious GA for this, and the last thing I want is to be turned away for my little tiny purse. Ridiculous.

Thats fucking ridiculous.

Just bring your purse, they will see how early people are lining up and its only normal to have a bag with food ,a sign, a flag, and a rainponcho etc.
Your basically camping! They shouldn't bitch. Plus you have the right to drink water you brought yourself until your in the venue. That where you'd have to buy it. So get rid , or prepare to get rid of any remaining bottles, empty or full. They will throw it away.

Just make sure that when your ready to go trough the first GA gates, that your bag is nice and clean and easy to look trough, show it to the security , like you have nothing to hide, look innocent (your a girl , which helps ALLOT! I can tell from experience)
And I'm pretty sure you will get trough without any problems.

About the camera policy, not to sure on that,
I would still bring it, fat chance they are going to seize everyone's camera, when there are thousands of people still to check.
Just don't bring an SLR and your pretty safe.

Ok. I have a question. :wink:

When people decide to do a serious GA session, ie overnight, obviously people wouldn't book a hotel or anything for that night, yeah? So if they are not from that city, what do they generally do with any luggage they bring and all that stuff? I kind of don't even know what I'm asking here but I'm just curious as to how people do these multiple day line ups..

(I get the impression overnighters in the US is kind of not allowed anyway, but of course checking with each stadium is the way to go there!) :)

East Lansing has some really ridiculous policy:

policies

- Traffic access to the university and campus parking areas will open at 3 p.m. REALLY?!

The following items will be prohibited from Spartan Stadium for the U2 concert:
Purses or bags of any size

REALLY? Of ANY size?

I'm doing serious GA for this, and the last thing I want is to be turned away for my little tiny purse. Ridiculous.

Where am I supposed to put my feminine hygiene products if they won't let me carry a purse?!
(I always have such products filling my bag so as to make the look-see process a little less lengthy lol)

They just absolutely can't be serious about their can't-bring-in-anything policies...has anyone called to check?!

I'm so looking forward to this show all of the sudden!
After all the delay...it's a sort of time-warpy effect...

Back
Top Bottom