New book about U2 and Elvis Presley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate to be rude... but you've done nothing but advertise your book since you've started posting.

(And it's obvious that it is in fact your book, as your user name matches the name of "the current Grand Master of the TCB".)

Your posts haven't been very substantive, consisting of little more than advertising your cryptic website and rehashing what little information is on that site, REGARDLESS of how irrelevant it may be to the current discussion.

(And legal reasons aside -- if a site isn't substantive, it should be recommended.)

It strikes me that you have not only created multiple topics to discuss this one subject, but you have also posted the same information in OTHER topics -- in an apparent attempt to change other, previously created topics into discussions of your website and the book it's selling.

Honestly, "Conspiracy" as a suggested title for the new album? Because U2's fighting the "Helter Skelter Conspriracy" that just HAPPENS to be featured in the same damn book of yours?

If you want to discuss this stuff, fine. Stick to doing so in this ONE topic, and don't have it spill over to other forums.

And if you want to post to other topics, fine. Just keep it relevant to the actual discussion.

And if you think I'm way out of line for saying this, say so in this forum.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Achtung Bubba,

I thought I said some stuff very pertinent. For one, I commented on the fact that in their video to "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me", there is a cartoon Elvis that drives a car with a license plate that reads "ELVIN2U". Now, I've been to a lot of U2 chats, and interpretation pages and I've never come across this. Also, I added that U2 participated in "Conspiracy of Hope". I said I like the title "Fire" giving you some credit and I added that Rush's song "Mission" from their album "Hold Your Fire" is about U2 (perhaps alluding to "The Unforgettable Fire"). Also, the book section is about books (fiction or non-fiction) and let me say that there is much truth in the book about the TCB and both U2 and Joshua Tree National Park figure in. Also, I wrote the Manifesto. There are two authors of the screenplay. So, I agree that I must tone down my references to www.elvis-conspiracy.com, but I have tried to say some interesting things.

Achtung Bubba,

O.K., you don't like my posts, I will try to be more on the topic in the future. The book is classified as fiction, but fiction can contain much truth. For instance, the book mentions the song "Elvis Presley and America" and mentions how U2 visited Graceland in the movie Rattle and Hum and that they shot their video to "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" in Las Vegas (a city associated with Elvis--U2 also opened their POP tour in Vegas). It also mentions Bono describing Elvis as the American (King) David (see Elvis ate America). Also, U2 sang Helter Skelter and ended one of their tours (which is on video) with the Elvis song "Can't Help Falling in Love". As for the full story, you will have to buy the book when it comes out later in the summer. O.K., so you won't buy the book, but I really do think you would find it interesting.

I will admit that you did contribute more in your postings than just references to your website, but the bulk of those contributions still centered around the same conspiracy. While that is not direct advertising per se, to do that is still analogous to constantly mentioning how bright it is when you *happen* to sell sunglasses.

Even the most relevent posting -- the suggestion for the album title -- felt like an advertisement.

(As an aside, I wasn't actually suggesting "Fire" as an album title, especially since it's already a song from October and part of the title "The Unforgettable Fire". I was just suggesting its cover would look good on the new album. But thanks anyway.)

In the posting you commented on the suggestion of "Fire", and suggested "Conspiracy" as a title on the basis of the "Helter Skelter Conspiracy" and the Conspriracy of Hope tour. Granted, the tour is a novel suggestion, but that tour was in the mid-80's, so it's hard to point to that as a great inspiration for the new album. And the fact that the Conspiracy of Hope tour is such a weak reason adds strength to the other reason -- the "Helter Skelter Conspiracy".

Because the strongest reason for your suggestion was very much related to your book and website, the entire posting still looked like an ad. And in the same way, the Elvis sighting in the video for "Hold Me..." looked like advertising. And mentioning "other TCBers" in a forum of what music forum members are listenting to looks like an ad even without a link to your site.

From my observations, every posting of yours either revolves around or brings the subject back to this conspiracy theory.

I may be alone this opinion, but I'm finding it a little annoying. (And -- everyone else -- if I'm out of line or right on the mark, let me know.)

Finally, I ask about your book being fiction (as your website described it), because it begs the question: if the book is fiction, why reference it so frequently? And if the book is true (or "contains much truth", as you said), why label it as fiction?

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 06-21-2000).]

Okay. Not to sound like Forrest Gump, but my mom has always said that there's a time and place for everything, and I guess this would be the best place for discussing the book, the website, and the TCB/Helter Skelter theories.

I hope I didn't sound too harsh.
smile.gif

Speaking of those theories... certainly, U2 draws a lot from Elvis and the Beatles, as do most rock bands. And certainly the band is open about its inspirations, but suggesting that U2's part of a secret religious society is QUITE a stretch -- particularly considering how open the band is about everything else, including its wariness of well organized religion.

The idea that Elvis was attracted to the Templars and/or that he formed his own secret religous society is possible, I suppose. But I don't think U2, Springsteen, and Dylan would be a part of it.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

It is interesting that U2, Springsteen, and Dylan form a sort of fraternity. Bono and Dylan collaborated on a song from Rattle and Hum, Bono gave the speech at Springsteen's induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Springsteen once said that he wanted to write songs like Dylan. Now, U2, Springsteen and Dylan all write songs with heavy religious imagery. Since one of the main missions of the TCB is racial reconciliation, Springsteen's recent "American Skin" shows that he is active in the mission. Now, all three are also big Elvis fans. Larry even named his son "Aaron Elvis". U2 and Springsteen share a fascination with the United States as does the TCB, and U2 and Dylan (at least) share an eschatological world-view as does the TCB. So, it is not strange that U2, Springsteen, and Dylan would be members of the TCB.

Between their interests and style, it's not at all surprising that U2, Bruce, and Dylan would collaborate, but I still think membership in a secret religious organization is a s.t.r.e.t.c.h.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Achtung Bubba,

I forgot to mention that Johnny Cash, Chris Isaak, Peter Gabriel, John Mellancamp, Sammy Hagar and Tiger Woods are also members of the TCB. This list no longer appears in the Manifesto of the TCB, which was rewritten for the TCB Book. The Manifesto of the TCB would probably give you some reason to believe that there really is such a secret society as the TCB.

Back
Top Bottom