Earplugs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use Etymotics. Etymotic Research | ETY•Plugs® Earplugs

They are fantastic. I've also tried Dubs, and like those as well.

That said, the sound really was fantastic. The vocals especially, were so crisp and clear.

Thank you for the suggestion trojanchick99. So I have constant ringing in my ears I think from combination of work & shows I've been to. I bought the large size & let me tell everyone- I never would have thought these would be as good as they ended up being. Etymotics are amazing!

So I decided not to wear them the 1st night in Chicago & I regretted not wearing them. Ears were ringing through the next afternoon. So I wore them 2nd Chicago show the very next night & I was amazed how great everything sounded & how comfortable they are. Even though the overall volume is lowered, vocals are crisper and the different instruments are more decipherable. I took them out during a bit when Bono was talking just to air out my ears & I was surprised how much the plugs cut out the hum in the crowd from people talking. I loved that. Plus it cut down on the Echo & I could make out Bono's rant during Bullet much better.

In other words, these are a great investment for your ears.

My friend took tickets I couldn't sell for chicago 1, he was 5 seats back in section 105 (e-stage), and he messaged me yesterday to say his ears were still ringing a little. Recommended ear plugs just in case. :)

Montreal 3 was probably the loudest concert I've ever been to. I was section 124, maybe just the placement of that section and the speakers, because I was GA for montreal 1 and 2 and it wasn't nearly as loud. The Troubles I remember was absolutely piercing. Very very loud indeed.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using U2 Interference mobile app

Adding my thanks to the OP here and trojanchick99. Those Etymotics are awesome. I used them for both Chicago 1&2.

One suggestion - take them out right at the moment the last encore song ends. It was pretty cool to do that and hear the crowd roar at full volume.

Through 3 straight shows of using my Etymotics, I am extremely happy with them. The positives with them in far outweigh the negatives. Sure the volume is lower but when I've taken them out during the show, I often find the music too loud & distorted compared to with plugs in. And it cuts the volume of talking by people around.

How are they when you talk yourself? That's the one problem I had with the foam plugs, I heard myself extremely loud but apparently was talking really quietly so nobody heard what I was saying.

How are they when you talk yourself? That's the one problem I had with the foam plugs, I heard myself extremely loud but apparently was talking really quietly so nobody heard what I was saying.

I couldn't hear anyone near me between songs when I had them in when trying to have a conversation, but I quickly got in the habit of popping them out if needed. The little case they come in is perfect.

Again, I like how it cuts out a lot of the 'other noise' so on one hand it's easier to hear things in general. If there's music playing loudly, it was better for me to keep them in and lean in to hear the person talking to me. If there's no music, they weren't in.

For what it's worth, I kept them in when I sang Desire so I could hear myself better. It was so freakin loud up there.

I'm not asking how they are when you try to listen to other people. I'm asking how other people can hear YOU with the plugs in... because with foam my ears get distorted and I think I talk much louder than I do due to the sound getting amplified in my own head.

I second the earplugs recommendation. This is the clearest, but one of the loudest arena tours I've been to.

The two shows I've seen so far were surprisingly loud. I don't mind loud and I've listened to music way too loud for years, but there were times I covered my ears with my hands for a few seconds. If I didn't already have tinnitus (my ears are *always* ringing and have a whooshing sound) and just have one show left, I would definitely be getting ear plugs.

I'm not asking how they are when you try to listen to other people. I'm asking how other people can hear YOU with the plugs in... because with foam my ears get distorted and I think I talk much louder than I do due to the sound getting amplified in my own head.

That's a hard question to answer, but I was paying attention to the fact that I had my earplugs in so not to fall into the trap of yelling when I should talk, so when I talked to my wife during the show like a few louder parts, I leaned in and she had to ask me to repeat myself. Some people yell when the put earplugs in, I'm not one of them. My wife asking to repeat myself I think says something about how loud the sound system is on this tour. I sang a lot and I never got any dirty looks like I need to bring my singing volume down. Again, not sure if that's on me or the sound system's loudness.

Adding my thanks to the OP here and trojanchick99. Those Etymotics are awesome. I used them for both Chicago 1&2.

One suggestion - take them out right at the moment the last encore song ends. It was pretty cool to do that and hear the crowd roar at full volume.

You're welcome! I'm glad they are working out for you!

What size did you get?

I have the regular size which works well.

Thank you for the suggestion trojanchick99. So I have constant ringing in my ears I think from combination of work & shows I've been to. I bought the large size & let me tell everyone- I never would have thought these would be as good as they ended up being. Etymotics are amazing!

So I decided not to wear them the 1st night in Chicago & I regretted not wearing them. Ears were ringing through the next afternoon. So I wore them 2nd Chicago show the very next night & I was amazed how great everything sounded & how comfortable they are. Even though the overall volume is lowered, vocals are crisper and the different instruments are more decipherable. I took them out during a bit when Bono was talking just to air out my ears & I was surprised how much the plugs cut out the hum in the crowd from people talking. I loved that. Plus it cut down on the Echo & I could make out Bono's rant during Bullet much better.

In other words, these are a great investment for your ears.

You're welcome. They really do save me since I go to about 30 shows a year.

That's a hard question to answer, but I was paying attention to the fact that I had my earplugs in so not to fall into the trap of yelling when I should talk, so when I talked to my wife during the show like a few louder parts, I leaned in and she had to ask me to repeat myself. Some people yell when the put earplugs in, I'm not one of them. My wife asking to repeat myself I think says something about how loud the sound system is on this tour. I sang a lot and I never got any dirty looks like I need to bring my singing volume down. Again, not sure if that's on me or the sound system's loudness.

You have the same issue I have then. :lol: I tend to whisper and think I'm yelling so nobody ever hears me. So I'll have to take them out when talking to others then, that's okay. As long as the sound is better than the foam ones, and it should be, it's a win/win anyway.

Just received my Etymotic earplugs after ordering them based on the suggestions here. Will test them out next Saturday at the NYC gig. The shows I saw in LA (I was on the GA floor) were really, really loud. Some of the highs were unbearable. These should help with that, but I just hope it doesn't come at the expense of sound quality.

A suggestion for those interested in getting these; get them from Amazon if you have either Amazon Prime or need to get more stuff so your total exceeds $35 (I did the latter). You get free shipping this way. I believe shipping is around $6 if you order them from the Etymotic website.

Amazon.com: Etymotic Research ER20-SMC ER20 ETY-Plugs Standard Fit Hearing Protection Earplugs - Clear Stem with Blue Tip: Health & Personal Care

Just received my Etymotic earplugs after ordering them based on the suggestions here. Will test them out next Saturday at the NYC gig. The shows I saw in LA (I was on the GA floor) were really, really loud. Some of the highs were unbearable. These should help with that, but I just hope it doesn't come at the expense of sound quality.

A suggestion for those interested in getting these; get them from Amazon if you have either Amazon Prime or need to get more stuff so your total exceeds $35 (I did the latter). You get free shipping this way. I believe shipping is around $6 if you order them from the Etymotic website.

Amazon.com: Etymotic Research ER20-SMC ER20 ETY-Plugs Standard Fit Hearing Protection Earplugs - Clear Stem with Blue Tip: Health & Personal Care

Thanks, your post reminded me that I meant to post my review of them. I did the same thing, ordered from Amazon and bundled it with other purchases for free shipping. I sold my GA for Monday night and got a lower level seat on the side, just as it starts to barely turn into a corner, in one of the back rows, directly across from the e-stage. I can honestly say that it was the best sounding concert I have ever attended. Just amazing clarity. This was the first time in many years of concert-going I've *ever* been able to hear and understand every word of stage banter, at most concerts, much of the speaking is a muffled mess. Volume was really good as well, at a very comfortable level, but not overly quiet, I still knew I was at a concert. I was extremely pleased with them.

Lest it sound like I'm trying to oversell them, the next night I was on the floor around centre ice, standing on the outside of Red Zone. I still found the sound very good, but it was definitely slightly muddier than the sound from my seat the night before, and although the volume was still comfortable, it was a bit louder than the night before. There was also a little bit of stage banter that I missed, but honestly, I'm not sure whether that was because of the sound, or more because I was distracted.

The ear plugs did not change overnight, so obviously it was my location in the arena. I can't begin to say how exceptional the sound was the first night - I'd give it a 10/10. The second night was more like an 8.5 or 9/10. Still very, very good for a loud concert, but not otherworldly great like the first night. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

So where do we put this compared to other tours?

I've heard Zoo Tv was the loudest. Any truth to that?

From what I've experienced- Vertigo 3rd Leg Boston Garden, NLOTH Somerville Theater, 360 Foxboro 2009, Montreal and Philadelphia 2011, I'd say 360 2011 was the loudest.

There had to have been an increase in volume between 2009 and 2011 on 360. It was the first thing I noticed when Larry and Edge started into Real Thing in Montreal.

Vertigo may have been the same or louder, but that was before I paid so much attention to these things. I do remember quite a good amount of ringing after it, though.

This tour, from everything I can tell, seems very, very loud.

Thanks, your post reminded me that I meant to post my review of them. I did the same thing, ordered from Amazon and bundled it with other purchases for free shipping. I sold my GA for Monday night and got a lower level seat on the side, just as it starts to barely turn into a corner, in one of the back rows, directly across from the e-stage. I can honestly say that it was the best sounding concert I have ever attended. Just amazing clarity. This was the first time in many years of concert-going I've *ever* been able to hear and understand every word of stage banter, at most concerts, much of the speaking is a muffled mess. Volume was really good as well, at a very comfortable level, but not overly quiet, I still knew I was at a concert. I was extremely pleased with them.

Lest it sound like I'm trying to oversell them, the next night I was on the floor around centre ice, standing on the outside of Red Zone. I still found the sound very good, but it was definitely slightly muddier than the sound from my seat the night before, and although the volume was still comfortable, it was a bit louder than the night before. There was also a little bit of stage banter that I missed, but honestly, I'm not sure whether that was because of the sound, or more because I was distracted.

The ear plugs did not change overnight, so obviously it was my location in the arena. I can't begin to say how exceptional the sound was the first night - I'd give it a 10/10. The second night was more like an 8.5 or 9/10. Still very, very good for a loud concert, but not otherworldly great like the first night. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Good to hear more praise for these earplugs. :up:

GA is incredibly loud. I was in the upper rows for LA 4 and it wasn't as painfully loud there.

I was at both TO shows (GA) mid way for both near RZ entrance on both sides and did not feel as though ear plugs were need. OTOH, i was at the foo fighters on Wednesday, and also Royal Blood...both of which being on the floor were punishing loud and I regretted not having the same. Given the FF concert was almost 3 hours for them alone...

This show is so loud, the floor was vibrating. I have never felt that at an arena show. I wore earplugs and I took them out a few times for a quick second to really hear everything. I quickly put them back in. I did take them out for One and 40 because it was not loud at all during those songs. Also, it was cool to hear everybody singing along. :D

So in conclusion, wear earplugs this tour.

I brought earplugs and promptly lost them, so didn't have them.

It was loud, but I'm totally fine the next day and I was in GA.

I really should have worn earplugs. WHAT?? I have been to 3 arena shows for other bands within the past year and did not need them. Never needed them for 360 either. It took 2 days for my hearing to get back to normal this week. #old

So where do we put this compared to other tours?

I've heard Zoo Tv was the loudest. Any truth to that?

From what I've experienced- Vertigo 3rd Leg Boston Garden, NLOTH Somerville Theater, 360 Foxboro 2009, Montreal and Philadelphia 2011, I'd say 360 2011 was the loudest.

There had to have been an increase in volume between 2009 and 2011 on 360. It was the first thing I noticed when Larry and Edge started into Real Thing in Montreal.

Vertigo may have been the same or louder, but that was before I paid so much attention to these things. I do remember quite a good amount of ringing after it, though.

This tour, from everything I can tell, seems very, very loud.

360 didn't bother me at all (both '09 and '11.) Granted, it was outside which automatically made the sound escape out of the venue and I was up in the seats both times. Elevation, Vertigo, and this tour have all bothered my ears.

Wore Dubs to the Boston show on Friday. What a difference! The earplugs filtered out just enough to make it comfortable. Took them out for a little bit to see the difference and put them right back in.

As the OP in this thread, thought I'd report on our experiences at Boston1 and 2. Wife, son15, and I all wore the Etymotics ER20s the entire show in GA. Incredibly loud - but the Friday mix was especially poor IMO. Son13 chose Hearos foam plugs, and seemed very comfortable throughout both shows. Unlike previous shows, our ears were all ringing for a few hours, but we woke up with zero problems the next morning.

Looking forward to Boston3 and 4 this week!

Wore earplugs for first time for U2 show. It worked pretty well, except to me sometimes the music sounded off... like I missed certain parts of the songs I knew... felt like notes dropped out... didn't seem to happen for the songs I know so well, so maybe that's just how the new songs sound and I'm stupid... or maybe when it's not so fucking loud and you can hear a little better, you notice the little mistakes or whatever that you don't notice when it's so loud your ears are bleeding. I took them out a few times and it was crazy loud. My ears aren't ringing, still feel a bit off just from having my ears plugged for so long, but I may just be tired as shit.

I wore them and recommend them. It's loud.

I wear earplugs at most shows I go to so I can keep enjoying shows. I used to wear the cheap foam hearos but bought the etymotic ER20XS for this MSG run. Once I figured out how to get them in they worked well.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom