20th September Chicago - United Center

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A fantastic show, as usual. There were more surprises tonight than you can shake a stick at.

At first I was pleasantly surprised by the openers, Dashboard Confessional. They seemed far easier to listen to than KOL, as they seem to have a friendlier sound. Unfortunately, I got pretty tired of them by the end, but hey, who cares.

You know, I've been to tons of U2 concerts, and I love the variety we got tonight, but their best songs are still, simply, the best.

Songs like Streets and Bad just take me to another planet, no matter how many times I've heard them. I know folks complain about the same songs night after night, but there's a darn good reason that U2 plays some of those same songs night after night.

Regarding the "new" songs I heard tonight, here are my comments:

Walk On: obviously, far from the best version I've ever heard of this song. Hopefully they'll try it again tomorrow night, and we'll see if it turns out better. The "lyrics search" was comedy genious. Is there a video of the lyric search on the web yet? Imagine some comedy routine where a guy keeps looking at papers and tossing them on the floor. That was Bono tonight. Hilarious.

Miss Sarajevo: Wow, that was awesome! The ending was incredible. Beautiful stuff. I've avoided all the Euro bootlegs so far, so tonight was the first time I heard it. Just wonderful.

Old Man River snippet: not terribly exciting, sorry to say. Also, that Dakota Hills or whatever snippet was kind of surprising too. What the heck was that?

Discotheque: It didn't seem quite as exciting as it did on previous tours. The entire crowd seemed quite uninterested in it too. I'd vote to drop it and bring back one of the far superior Achtung Baby songs (either Zoo Station, Mysterious Ways, or UTEOTW).

The First Time: Holy Flapjacks, this sounded awesome! When Yahweh was mysteriously played during the main set, I just figured we'd get Fast Cars or OOTS. Boy was I surprised when they went into this. Its one of my two favorite songs off of Zooropa, so I was just in Heaven! A great song, and Bono was actually working on some audience participation during it, so I have a feeling they'll be playing it again on this tour.

As for the rest...

-been to 5 concerts this year, and I'm still not very impressed with ABOY. I love all of U2's songs, but I really wouldn't mind if they dropped this one.

-never been a big fan of Yahweh either, but it really seemed good tonight. I was impressed with the light show that accompanied it, and I think it worked really well as part of the main set. I think I'd like to see U2 keep this in the main set instead of during the encore.

Why the heck am I still awake? The next show starts in just over 14 hours. I gotta get some sleep.

Great show! My 2nd show this tour and going tonight as well! Had a blast and took a few great pics! Happily, I was able to sneak my camera in! Sitting behind the stage tonight in the 200s, but still can't wait to be there again even thought my whole body is sore from standing over 4 hours last night! I enjoyed Discoteque and all of the selections that they played! Great night!!!

Reports this morning from my two sisters said it was a much better concert than the 5/9 -- said Bono's voice was better and he hit every note. Took two "non-believers" with them, one sister's SO, the other sister's son .. and they walked out a member of the U2 army. :wink:

I gave up my seat for this concert, but will be going to the Tampa one with my daughter. Got bad-daddy seats right next to the stage. Can NOT wait!

I had a great time on both nights and since I really suck at reviews even when the shows kicks ass, I'll leave it with some pics I took! Most of them are so-so but a couple of them turned out well! Anyone know how to link Snapfish pics here? :huh:

Last edited:
After these two shows, all I have to say is I can die now. Unbelievable. I was so happy I was practically catatonic when I came out of the UC last night...

This show was by far the best one that I went too. I also went to the May 12th and the Sept 21st one. Love the energy as I had GA tickets and the setlist was great.

Actually by the encore time it kinda lost the energy to me.

Still, great show!

I would post my pics, but I can't! :(

I went to the May 10th show and 9/20. I sat behind the stage on 9/20. What was the deal with the telepromter? Just about all the people in my group were baffled by it. This is just my opinion, so dont jump all over me, but I thought the forgeting the lyrics and singing off the paper was lame.
There were also a lot of bored people in the entire section where we sat.

msmarylynne said:
I went to the May 10th show and 9/20. I sat behind the stage on 9/20. What was the deal with the telepromter? Just about all the people in my group were baffled by it. This is just my opinion, so dont jump all over me, but I thought the forgeting the lyrics and singing off the paper was lame.
yep because you were in all of there minds and knew they were bored, unless of course they just enjoy there music in a different way to you? people also classes the reading the lyrics of the paper as one of the funniest U2 moments of all time

msmarylynne said:

Sucks that you had to sit by such easily bored people. Maybe they should have been home watching tv or something? :huh:

I thought it was funny he forgot the lyrics to Walk On, and I'm glad he made the effort to get them and finish the song properly rather than end it early or make some lyric up about how he forgot the lyrics. He had trouble remembering a number of things that night, however, like the day of the week.:laugh: Awesome show though with lots of surprises and snippets. The First Time...who saw that one coming? I thought it was One Step Closer at first. Discotheque was an all out assault on the ears and eyes...and I mean that in a good way. Bono's voice was spot on all night, unlike in the spring when he seemed to be struggling. Bad was great as always, and got one of the better reactions from the crowd, which is why I think they did it again the next night. Overall the crowd seemed a bit flat, but maybe that's because I was in the back (although the following day the GA line got a pep talk to try and make more noise).

I didn't get to the UC until about 6:45pm on Tuesday. They were still doing wristbands, but I wasn't lucky (I was the following night:D). My friend and her boyfriend couldn't get there until almost 8:30pm...too late. We decided to try the soundboard area for wristbands, but again no luck, so we spent the night back there. I've never seen a U2 show from the back of the floor in my life...dating back to the JT tour. It wasn't as bad I thought it would be, but not something I'd like to do again.:wink:

Anyway, one result of being at the back was getting to briefly meet Wynonna Judd. I was standing at the entrance of the VIP area because there was a platform there that made me slightly taller. My friend said "Isn't that Wynonna Judd?" as she was walking toward us. So as she squeezed by me I kind of hit her arm(but not hard):reject: and said, "Wynonna!" She said, "Hey, how ya doin!" and the guy walking behind her puts his hands on my shoulders and says, "Hey!" (getting ready to throw me to the ground in case I try to hit her again maybe? :ohmy: ). It wasn't until after they went by that my friend realized that Ashley Judd was with them. Bono gave them a couple shout-outs during the concert and it was kind of amusing to see the Judds getting there freak on a couple feet away from us all night.

After the show my friend asked Joe back at the soundboard for a setlist and he graciously obliged. Everything that was played was on the setlist, so either it was all planned or Joe printed her out an updated list that reflected what was actually played rather than what they had originally planned. I guess you'd have to find that out from someone who got one of the bands' setlists off the floor.

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to have gotten both Dashboard's and U2 setlists....Chris' and Bono's from 20 Sep. I want to thank the men that made that possible. I don't think the band strayed from the list. All in all, it was a GREAT time!

I thought it was a great show and thought it was really dumb if Bono forgot but if he did that purposely it wasn't that funny...Other than that I had amazing seats, it was an amazing concert, no one sounded bad on stage, what more could you ask for? Where I was sitting, no one was bored at all...

Back
Top Bottom