Where's the damned new U2 album? Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or just not giving a shit anymore.

They don't need the money, and do any of them besides Bono need the attention?

Possibly the biggest reason of all. Most men who have been at their jobs for over 30 years are thinking about retirement. The only reason they don't is because they're making too much money to give up.

I've seen several posters say that "the whole band is in France." Do we know that's the case? I haven't heard anything about them other than Larry and Bono being on the beach a week or two ago. Call me crazy but it seems like there would be some tweets or photos in the 2013 news and images threads by now.

Rocks stars by and large could compare to professional athletes. Few walk away at the top of their game. They would likely go on forever if they could. Having 70,000 plus scream as you take a stage or stadium pitch will do that I think.
Bono probably stopped needing money around ATYCLB or earlier. These types of guys only quit when the fans decide they are done.

I honestly thing we all need to spam this thread to reach 1,000 posts ASAP. Ever since this thread was damned, we've gotten nothing but bad news.

And now that we know Lillywhite exists in the same country as part of U2, we all get to bitch about how probably the new record will be shit and they should retire and we really didn't want it that much anyway. Snooooooze.

Cheer up a little people, it's a man in France, not the stroke of doom.

Most men who have been at their jobs for over 30 years are thinking about retirement. The only reason they don't is because they're making too much money to give up.

u2xmas4.jpg

And now that we know Lillywhite exists in the same country as part of U2, we all get to bitch about how probably the new record will be shit and they should retire and we really didn't want it that much anyway. Snooooooze.

Cheer up a little people, it's a man in France, not the stroke of doom.

:up: And he said that there's a 99% chance that he's not working on it! I was expecting mass celebrations in here, but it's still the same old insanity. This stubborn refusal to be positive is really depressing.

Sillywhite did make a tweet that is suggestive of a 2014 release date, but it's hard to figure out exactly how serious he was being. Regardless, I would consider this a small piece of negative evidence, the first that we have seen. I still bet on a release this year, but I don't think that it's silly to worry a bit about the 2014 tweet.

If it comes out even in the early part of next year that will screw up their touring plans like with 360. They'll have to start in Europe mid-year and the Americans will be waiting until after.

I'm reading Lillywhite's comment about the release next year as, "YOU could say that (because you don't know and you can say whatever you want), but I won't comment." So basically, it means nothing. And besides, if he's not working on it, would he even know when it would be released?

I'm choosing to stay blissfully naive. :up:

From looking at the tweets he's not working with them. And I've only heard of Bono being in France. And some rumors dealing with Adam marrying someone in France. Which I'm now thinking is fake. And touring wise I'd be happy to see them anytime of the year. No matter how terrible the conditions are. And yes U2 are some of the richest men in the world. But earlier this year Larry said at 65 or any age for that matter. He'd be making music with U2. Rather then in Los Vegas making some sort of movie. And Adam said basically the same thing during an interview for walk in my shoes. I'm sure some good news will come very soon. They can't be stuck for ever and they certainly will tour a new album it would make no sense not to...

I'd bet you a dollar Lillywhite is going there to help them pick the first single.

Or something of that variety. Trusted set of ears.

Bono, Larry and Adam have been seen in France. There were stories about them playing music / jamming? some weeks ago. Some French fans posted on social media that all four band members were seen. That's all I know about them being in France, I haven't seen Edge but his birthday is coming up, so I guess they will gather in the next days, possibly in Eze. For all I know Edge has spent some time in LA recently. It may be possible the album is being mixed there and Edge is usually there during that process. Everything else just looks like the band relaxing after finishing the album and before promotion starts. That's my theory. Of course I could be wrong but so much evidence is pointing towards an earlier release that I won't give up hope yet. And something's telling me they won't release in spring.

My personal interpretation of all of this (and a lot of this has been suggested thus far already):

1. The album's done. (See all that news that came out in a few weeks earlier in the summer from those who'd heard the new material.)

2. The iron curtain remains in place - no info is allowed out that might ruin a surprise release in November / December and cause the kind of overkill that damaged NLOTH. (Remember that the most concrete info we've had - from Adam and Larry earlier in the year, to the fact that they've been confident enough to hold listening groups for the record - points to the need to be positive.)

3. They're in France for the summer - as they always seem to do - only this time they're finalising album details and rehearsing for a promo tour.

4. Everything's still on track. This is my fourth new album cycle and I can't remember knowing very much detail (single releases, etc) about *any* of them at this stage in the cycle, so why presume they're behind in this case?

Sorry for being negative

Hi guys,
I was not active here for a long while.
Just to drop in with my impression - which is extremely vague, but still :)

I don't like the SL's tweet saying "You might say that but I couldn't possibly comment". Now, this phrase raised alarm for me as I remember it from the BBCs House of Cards from 1990 where the main character Francis Urquhart uses this phrase whenever he basically knows that the answer to the question is in fact "Yes", but he can not allow himself to be the one to outright confirm it.

I am probably stretching too much, but now I am afraid :) Together with his tweet with two "!!" that he did not say that the album is all but 1% completed

My life will go on if we don't get it this year, and this fall is already looking good as far as album releases go. But my opinion of U2 as a band will take a hit. 5 years between albums is rediculous. Yes I know they were on tour for 2 years, but it's not like they were doing 5 shows a week for a solid 104 weeks out of those 2 years. It took 25 months to do 110 shows, with plenty of lengthy breaks in between. To take this long just reeks of laziness, uncertainty and bad business sense even!

B-man also had a major operation in that time too don't forget... it must have been a pretty heavy time all round, hardly "laziness, uncertainty and bad business sense" ffs :rolleyes:

Re Post production periods

I don't know a whole lot about them as they tend to be behind closed doors, but looking at his discography details, most albums he has worked on were mixed at different studios than they were recorded at, by his in-house engineers (Todd Monfalcone and Kennie Takahashi) or with them in conjunction with the band's chosen engineer, e.g. Tchad Blake on the Black Keys' most recent record.

An article about El Camino (the most recent Black Keys' record) and anecdotes from people involved said that DM reviews and approves the mixes as they're being developed. But he doesn't have to be in the room for that, necessarily, living as we do in technologically advanced times.

As for the period of post-prod, it's a little hard to say because his projects tend to overlap, and a record might be 'in the can' and waiting to be released when the marketing powers that be feel it's optimal.

But, for example, principal recording for El Camino wrapped up around the beginning of June 2011, was reported to be 'done' that summer, and released in early December.

The Broken Bells record was done recording sometime in the Autumn of 2009, mixes were finalized later that winter (we know they weren't final in January because an unfinished copy of the record leaked then) and it was released in March 2010.

Though both of those records were on major labels (Warner and Columbia respectively), the machinery behind them would be dwarfed by the U2 juggernaut, I'm sure.

thanks for the info! :up:

When he met Bono he said the album could go in two different ways but he wasn't involved at the time. Now he's flying to the south of France where the band is so it's a good guess.

maybe he's just on holiday? i met a guy not long ago who basically name-dropped Lillywhite within the first 10 seconds of our conversation, saying he became friends with him while on his hols in the south of France... meeting ex-pats over here is vile - it's like speed-dating, see how many famous people you can name-drop in 20 seconds :lol:

That said, I really do find it suspicious that we've heard nothing now. Lillywhite's tweets do not fill me with confidence about a 2013 release. My life will go on if we don't get it this year, and this fall is already looking good as far as album releases go. But my opinion of U2 as a band will take a hit. 5 years between albums is rediculous. Yes I know they were on tour for 2 years, but it's not like they were doing 5 shows a week for a solid 104 weeks out of those 2 years. It took 25 months to do 110 shows, with plenty of lengthy breaks in between. To take this long just reeks of laziness, uncertainty and bad business sense even!
You should ask Daft Punk how bad this is for business. And they don't even tour.

I don't know where this myth that taking long breaks is bad comes from. Lots of "comeback" albums seem to be doing pretty well these days.

I don't like the SL's tweet saying "You might say that but I couldn't possibly comment". Now, this phrase raised alarm for me as I remember it from the BBCs House of Cards from 1990 where the main character Francis Urquhart uses this phrase whenever he basically knows that the answer to the question is in fact "Yes", but he can not allow himself to be the one to outright confirm it.

I am probably stretching too much, but now I am afraid :) Together with his tweet with two "!!" that he did not say that the album is all but 1% completed

He does seem like a bit of an attention whore. I've met Flood, and he seemed like a real straight-up dude. Very cool and funny guy. I don't think his access to uber rock bands has affected him by one iota. Lillywhite seems to revel in the fact he's part of U2's inner circle, and he's effectively trolling via his tweets. Best to ignore him completely.

I follow Steve on twitter but I don't take his messages too seriously. If everyone else tries to stay secret about the album I'm pretty sure he isn't supposed to say something either, this is IF he even knows stuff. He tends to give cryptic answers to people asking him about the new U2 album, but nothing that would really lead to any clear conclusions, IMO. Apart from that, Steve likes to go into atheistic rants recently, that seems to be the thing that's predominant on his mind right now.

His latest message about the U2 album

I have heard a lot of it already !

sounds good, though. He has said before that he doesn't like to comment on unreleased stuff when asked about his opinion on the album.

Btw, he sure loves to use exclamation marks all the time :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom