Will Larry Return to U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono sounded fantastic when I saw him at the Beacon solo shows and the Sphere. I believe the solo show tour forced him into vocal rest between dates and then the Nevada desert did the same - and it made a notable difference. He went for more high notes on those tours than he had in recent memory. If he takes care of himself in similar fashion, and they approach the material thoughtfully (tempo/key changes), there’s no reason he couldn’t go another 10-15 years.

The Beacon shows were very different but I thought he sounded the best he has done in years. At the Sphere I think it showed he's now worked out how to sing those songs in the best way possible with his maturing and changing voice. It feels like he's taken time to adjust to it but knows what he can and cannot do now.

I think Zoo TV was his peak in terms of ability, range etc.

poor jon bon. it is rough.
Caught a little of JBJ on with Stern yesterday, Apparently, he had surgery on his vocal cords recently, remains to be seen if that fixes/minimizes his issue. He described it as 1 cord being way thicker than the other and was causing everything to be out of whack and the thinner chord was wasting away or something. His speaking voice with Stern still sounded a bit off.

Bono will never sound like he used too. No one ever will but saying that he sounded great at the Sphere. One, So Cruel, & Love Is Blindness were highlights for sure. One sounded the best it has since Zoo/Popmart.

Caught a little of JBJ on with Stern yesterday, Apparently, he had surgery on his vocal cords recently, remains to be seen if that fixes/minimizes his issue. He described it as 1 cord being way thicker than the other and was causing everything to be out of whack and the thinner chord was wasting away or something. His speaking voice with Stern still sounded a bit off.

I saw them live just before COVID when I happened to be in a city they were playing and someone had a couple of spare tickets. I'd always liked New Jersey and their stuff up until about Keep the Faith time. Anyway, the show was ok, but he was struggling big time. There was just no power his voice whatsoever - for most of the show he stood rooted to the spot gripping the microphone and there were 3/4 other members of the band adding vocals to pretty much everything. Was pretty sad to see to be honest.

He's also been saying that he still doesn't know if he can perform live to the standard he wants. And if he can't, he won't tour.

Will be interesting to see how much days off they'll have between shows on the next tour.Even tough they did play 3 shows in 4 nights at the sphere,i wouldn't be surprise if the routing is similar to the Stones and Springsteen current tours...having 2 or 3 days off between gigs,even in cities with multiple nigh.Even Pearl Jam has days off in cities with 2 shows.

Bon Jovi’s voice has been shot for well over a decade. Check out the 12-12-12 MSG benefit, he’s making vowel sounds without actually singing the full words.

Will be interesting to see how much days off they'll have between shows on the next tour.Even tough they did play 3 shows in 4 nights at the sphere,i wouldn't be surprise if the routing is similar to the Stones and Springsteen current tours...having 2 or 3 days off between gigs,even in cities with multiple nigh.Even Pearl Jam has days off in cities with 2 shows.
All indications thus far have been stadium tour, which means maximum 2 consecutive nights and even then only for the largest markets. So likely plenty of opportunity for spaces in the schedule given crew travel and stage setup days.

Bono also talked about that whole thing he did during Las Vegas- spending time in some special room with temp and humidity control and not speaking as much as possible (not easy for him I'm sure) etc. I believe it was in the Sirius interview.

I watched the CBS Billy Joel special, he does not have the voice he used to have. Still sells out that MSG and Fenway Park and wherever else he plays.

I think as a collective, Sphere was the best they've ever sounded live in the 17 years I've been seeing them live. I don't know how much of that is the tech stuff, but they were excellent.

Bono definitely doesn't sound as good as in his previous eras, but I would also argue he doesn't - and the band doesn't - play to their own strengths and haven't for years.

I listen to Bono on Cedars of Lebanon and he sounds incredible. I would kill for him to sing in that register. An album of downtempo tracks like Wake Up Dead Man where his voice is all gravelly? Yes please. I know that was 15 years ago now (jesus fucking christ) but he could slip into that easily. There's a few other small examples of it, like on Sleep Like a Baby. Some tracks he goes a little bit harder and still sounds good (although how much is studio tech?), like Red Flag Day and Landlady he sounds great.

Instead, as I've been saying for a fucking decade plus now, they just refuse to play to their strengths, or lean into their age. Then we end up with abominations of songs where he's oversinging to a really shit tune.

For my shows at the Sphere, Bono's voice was excellent. Even the falsetto had a minor comeback (ending of One, the bridge to Even Better). There were some rougher nights, but in general, I think he sounded pretty good.

He was also far more disciplined in terms of staying quiet during the instrumental parts, and there was far, far less proselytizing and Broadway talking. The E+I tour was almost sabotaged by this aspect. So overall, I was never as happy with his performance - that I've witnessed live - as during those Sphere gigs.

I'd prefer Bram for both
Not me.

I could definitely tell the difference between the two.

I’m more convinced than ever how integral Larry is to the sound of U2.

Bram was fine, but the warmth and the fluidity and the fullness of Larry’s drumming was gone.

This says nothing about the originality of Larry’s drumming decisions - the rythms he creates - as Bram was just trying to copy him.

Anyway - for me - U2 is not U2 without Larry. Just not the same.

The Beacon shows were very different but I thought he sounded the best he has done in years. At the Sphere I think it showed he's now worked out how to sing those songs in the best way possible with his maturing and changing voice. It feels like he's taken time to adjust to it but knows what he can and cannot do now.

I think Zoo TV was his peak in terms of ability, range etc.

Love town tour IMO.

Hawkmoon and God Part II on the album and live were the absolute peak.

Back
Top Bottom