Shuttlecock XXV: Cool Hats Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sadly I don't even think the official video is currently on YouTube?

The one from the U2 account just has the AB "deluxe edition" cover on the screen for the whole song.

There's a low-quality version with Spanish subtitles and that appears to be it.

Sadly I don't even think the official video is currently on YouTube?

The one from the U2 account just has the AB "deluxe edition" cover on the screen for the whole song.

There's a low-quality version with Spanish subtitles and that appears to be it.

It's right there, the second result when you search for "u2 the fly". Here you go:

Present-day Bono wouldn't dare anger Republicans by making fun of Pence.

The Fly is probably a top five U2 song for me. I actually listened to it last night because of the Pence thing, hadn't heard it in at least a couple years. It still rips.

phantasmnoitsnot.jpg

Dusted off the 1980-1990 CD tonight. Streets following Bad was as special as it’s always been.

I cannot imagine what people back in 1987 must have felt when playing The Joshua Tree for the first time, before Streets was released as a single.

Makes you wonder how they managed to fuck up the 90s one so badly.

I've been watching some of the ATYCLB footage that's been popping up lately. I will say that, despite my undying love for the album, I can certainly appreciate that it would depressing for our older fans who felt alive throughout the 90s. The fact that they went from the transgressive style of Pop and Popmart to ATYCLB in, what, 18 months, is pretty depressing. I adore ATYCLB, but it was what I grew up with, Pop/mart was before my time. It's a trip to be seeing some of the live footage and seeing them be the band we know now, just a few years after Popmart.

I wonder how many late 80s “earnest era” U2 fans were put off by the Zoo TV shenanigans. I got into U2 pretty much when The Fly premiered on MTV. But I honestly had very little memories of anything the band did in the 80s soooooo. I did play catch-up and watched Rattle and Hum regularly in 1993 until Zoo TV Live in Sydney came out.

I had mixed feelings about the POP era. I thought the album was great actually, but the tour and everything promotional wise just left me with a feeling of “meh”. but I also had my fill of being super obsessive fan and I just overexposed myself to the band between 92-95. As much as I craved an entire new album and a new evolution of the band I felt the late 90s period just didn’t click with me.

When ATYCLB came out I was 23 and the album did have that older contemporary rock feel to it when it came out, but I did enjoy most of the songs and the revitalization of their career.

I always see All That You Can't Leave Behind as the culmination of everything they'd done. It's as if they took what they learned over the first 20 years and combined it into this great record (and then doubled down on that 4 years later).

It's figuring out what to do from there that's been their issue.

That album was them forgetting what they had learned, not applying it. Namely, exploring the creation of songs in the studio, which is part of what made their recordings so unique and magical. If you’re primarily interested in succinctly-crafted pop songs, then I guess you could call it great but that’s not what made U2 great. And ultimately, the results sound anemic because the tracks don’t breathe, and most only came alive on stage (IALW being a notable exception due to Bono’s lively drunk/hungover vocal).

As for me, I got into the band somewhere after Rattle & Hum. I had listened to TUF and JT at the insistence of a friend but couldn’t get into either outside a few songs. I also remember another friend playing God Part II on vinyl and being like “how cool does this sound??” We had a cassette of War at our high school TV station where I spent a lot of time and I thought it was pretty good. So I had a little taste of multiple styles all around the same time, and then at some point I watched the Rattle & Hum film with my friend who was a fan and I really enjoyed it, mainly because of the power of the performances but also the band’s humor. I worked at a video store at the time and got free rentals so we wound up watching it a lot. I slowly got into the back catalogue in the year leading up to Achtung Baby, and I was primed to like the new sound because I wasn’t beholden to the old ones, and anyway I had listened to a lot of industrial/dance stuff like Ministry and Nine Inch Nails before so it wasn’t outside my palette. I was still shocked at the transformation when the video for The Fly premiered but in a giddy way. I latched onto the new direction immediately and really never let up in my enthusiasm for the rest of the 90s.

In all honestly I was rolling my eyes when I heard Beautiful Day and just disappointed overall that they had run out of courage and ideas. The songs weren’t bad to me, just not very interesting. And so the last 20 years has just been learning to live with knowing that I’d be settling for occasional nuggets in a sea of mostly pleasurable compromise.

Last edited:
You’re implying that ATYLCB is their pinnacle, “the culmination of everything they had learned” and I’m trying to understand what it has in common with masterpieces like JT, AB, Zooropa that were created using the opposite method. It was a scared reaction to public/perceived failure, so I’m not sure how you can reframe it as some kind of master thesis.

Feel free to elaborate instead of just saying “hard disagree/BAD TAKE!!”

You’re implying that ATYLCB is their pinnacle, “the culmination of everything they had learned” and I’m trying to understand what it has in common with masterpieces like JT, AB, Zooropa that were created using the opposite method. It was a scared reaction to public/perceived failure, so I’m not sure how you can reframe it as some kind of master thesis.

Feel free to elaborate instead of just saying “hard disagree/BAD TAKE!!”

Perhaps culmination was a bad choice of words - I don't think it's their best. I feel it was them taking everything they've learned and putting it all into what was and still is a great album.

I'm happy to to into more detail when I'm not working later on.

Last edited:
ATYCLB is a culmination of what they had learned in the sense that they "learned" the masses didn't want another Pop and reverted to more familiar songwriting methods to preserve their relevance. There's nothing inherently wrong with that and U2 has often been reactionary throughout their career; look at the abrupt transition from R&H to Achtung.

It's not a masterpiece on par with their best work, because the songs aren't as consistent as they need to be (Wild Honey, Peace On Earth, Grace, etc aren't exactly beloved) and the production doesn't hold up, but they hit it out of the park a few times (Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite, WILATW). Thankfully, Million Dollar Hotel scratched the more experimental itch with a fresh direction and some quality tracks before eschewing atmosphere on the blunt force HTDAAB.

Reactionary is fine if it leads to breaking out of your comfort zone. Retreating back into it, not so much.

And I would never say the songwriting was actively bad (though the lyrics are a major drop-off from Bono's peaks on Pop), but yes it's mainly the production and the arrangements that sink everything.

You're right that it has more of a "sound" than HTDAAB, but if they're aiming for simple and direct songs I'd rather hear it more raw anyway. It was just a waste of Brian Eno's presence. I actually like what he does sonically on Grace but beyond that he may as well have not even been there.

Dusted off the 1980-1990 CD tonight. Streets following Bad was as special as it’s always been.

I cannot imagine what people back in 1987 must have felt when playing The Joshua Tree for the first time, before Streets was released as a single.

I was 16 when The Joshua Tree came out. A friend who lived across the street was one of the first people I knew who got a CD player. He had a nice setup in his basement, and one day I was over and he put it on. I had only heard With Or Without You from the album prior to that.

At that point I wasn't a major fan or anything, just knew the big singles from the previous years. But when he put on that fucking album, being on CD with a nice stereo system, it was a moment I have never forgotten. I still consider that to be the best 1-2-3 opening of any album.

Needless to say, after that, I was hooked. I got a Maxell blank tape and copied it. I specifically remember that because it was a 100 min tape that Mothers got cut off by about 10 seconds at the end of the side. For a couple of years, that was my album copy. When I finally got a CD player of my own and bought the CD, it was actually a bit jarring to hear the remainder of the fadeout, so accustomed I was by then of the cutoff.

Last edited:
I was 10 years old when I heard 1980-1990 for the first time. My parents bought me the album because I really liked Pride and loved their appearance on the Simpsons. I started picking up the albums one by one over the next year but I still have vivid memories of listening to 1980-1990 with my mom. It's a much more consistent release than 1990-2000.

The fatal mistake of 1990-2000 was including ATYCLB material. I had GREAT times listening to that release, it was near the peak of my fandom and the DVD set was legitimately great, but it's an incoherent mess. The CD could have been amazing if it actually represented the era properly. The Hands That Built America over The Fly? Yeah, sure, OK.

Including the ATYCLB tracks was a desperate cash grab, and more cowardice regarding their experimentation in the 90s. Omitting The Fly was bad, but leaving off studio Lemon was even worse since Zooropa was so underrepresented.

And don’t even get me started on the New Mixes of the Pop tracks.

Didn’t they justify it as Beautiful Day and Stuck were released as singles in 2000 and therefore qualified? Urgh. They’ll be sorely missed on a Best Of 2000-2020 compilation.

For 1990-2000, put back the original mixes (or single mixes if available) of the Pop tracks and Numb. Add The Fly to all regions, not just the UK release. Take off the two 2000 tracks and replace with Lemon and Mofo or Please. Feel like I’m stuck with Hands as an obligatory ‘new’ track that was written for an Oscar, but if it goes then both of those Pop tracks could be included.

So it’s not like a lot of work needs to be done, I’ve essentially only replaced 2 tracks and the mixes of another 4. Nearly made room for The Ground Beneath Her Feet but that came out in March 2000.

Speaking of a best of 2000-2020 collection, how about this:

The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Beautiful Day
Stuck in a Moment
Elevation
Vertigo
Sometimes...
City of Blinding Lights
Mercy
No Line on the Horizon
Moment of Surrender
Breathe / Magnificent
Invisible
Every Breaking Wave
The Troubles
[2 Experience tracks]
[1 new track]

17 tracks, same as 1990-2000 UK release. You probably could stretch the 2000s material to fill a compilation by itself, I’ve left off a few singles. But it’s still just 3 albums and strands the Songs of duo in no mans land.

Speaking of a best of 2000-2020 collection, how about this:

The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Beautiful Day
Stuck in a Moment
Elevation
Vertigo
Sometimes...
City of Blinding Lights
Mercy
No Line on the Horizon
Moment of Surrender
Breathe / Magnificent
Invisible
Every Breaking Wave
The Troubles
[2 Experience tracks]
[1 new track]

17 tracks, same as 1990-2000 UK release. You probably could stretch the 2000s material to fill a compilation by itself, I’ve left off a few singles. But it’s still just 3 albums and strands the Songs of duo in no mans land.
Unfortunately we know it will actually end up more like:
1, Beautiful Day
2. Stuck in a Moment
3. Peace on Earth
4. Elevation
5. Vertigo
6. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
7. Get on Your Boots
8. Unknown Caller
9. Crazy Tonight
10. The Miracle (Of Jeffrey Hyman)
11. Song For Someone
12. Every Breaking Wave
13. You're The Best Thing About Me
14. Get Out of Your Own Way
15. American Soul
16. Always
17. Flower Child

I think my major issue with 90-00 is that it's emblematic of their attitude towards the 90s (Achtung notwithstanding). Their mindset had obviously shifted to the inoffensive ATYCLB revival.

Back
Top Bottom