Shuttlecock XXV: Cool Hats Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel like making a list, so here's one. Closing trios in studio albums, ranked:

1. The Joshua Tree
2. Pop
3. Achtung Baby
4. Zooropa
5. Boy
6. The Unforgettable Fire
7. Songs of Innocence
8. October
9. All That You Can’t Leave Behind
10. No Line on the Horizon
11. War
12. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
13. Songs of Experience

I feel like making a list, so here's one. Closing trios in studio albums, ranked:

1. The Joshua Tree
2. Pop
3. Achtung Baby
4. Zooropa
5. Boy
6. The Unforgettable Fire
7. Songs of Innocence
8. October
9. All That You Can’t Leave Behind
10. No Line on the Horizon
11. War
12. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
13. Songs of Experience

At the moment anyway...

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. Pop
4. Boy
5. UF
6. Zooropa
7. ATYCLB
8. SOI
9. War
10. NLOTH
11. HTDAAB
12. SOE
13. October

At the moment anyway...

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. Pop
4. Boy
5. UF
6. Zooropa
7. ATYCLB
8. SOI
9. War
10. NLOTH
11. HTDAAB
12. SOE
13. October

The first three are almost interchangeable in my mind. I really wanted to rank Pop first, as the Velvet Dress-Please-Wake Up Dead Man sequence is just stunning, but hard to beat One Tree Hill-Exit-Mothers of the Disappeared.

NLOTH would rank much higher for me if Fez was in the closing trio.

Thought there would be discussion of the ATYCLB anniversary set in here by now.

I'm certainly not buying it. I don't need "remastered" (pointless for anything 21st century) b-sides, or the material we already got on Rare and Unreleased, or remixes, M$H tracks, or acoustic Stuck.

I find it odd that all of those Elevation remixes are there but not the single "Tomb Raider" mix that the video used. Or the Walk On single mix from the 7 EP. Maybe for the latter they just don't want to remind people of Walk On too much right now.

It's pretty disappointing. Everything on the super deluxe version is already very readily available. Remixes don't remotely interest me, it would have been good to know if there's other unheard stuff in the vault, a Million Dollar Hotel package, and it's annoying that the only live show is one that's been out on DVD for nearly two decades. You'd think they would have released some of the other big live stuff from the era, Super Bowl, post-9/11 gigs, stuff we haven't heard before.

All this said, I am definitely keen to get the standard vinyl.

Meh. I have the original vinyl bought at the time and won’t be getting any of it.

Wow, this actually fucking sucks. Not a single song unknown to even a halfway curious fan. I know I'm a cynical prick but this is honestly even lazier than I would have predicted. There are other songs from this period just lying about! Cripes, whoever put this together must've just had an iTunes login and nothing more.

If you buy this you have more money than sense.

The only possible appeal here would be the Anton Corbijn book of new photos, but let's face it, his post-2000 work doesn't really have me too excited.

At least the Achtung anniversary set had more photos from his peak period.

"I'm just tryin' to find
a decent bag of weed,
a song that I can sing
When I'm drunk at half past 3"

/Ooooh you are such an fool
To worry like you do Oh-ooo-oh-oh-oo-oh

Stuck in a Moment is (as a functioning alcoholic) a very spot-on and poignant lyric about the life of someone who lives fast and also lives with constant heartbreak and hangovers. And then trying to help them see the other way. I suppose Hutchence is the *specific* inspiration but it really is a powerful song for anybody with a drinking problem or any substance abuse problem or other dangerous habit or suicidal ideation. I've also thought it works as a breakup song.

Brilliant song, one of the very best U2 has written in the last 20 years.

Look, post 2000 U2 is a different animal.

The band before ATYCLB was lethal, dirty, different, forward thinking and experimental, strong.

ATYCLB turned them soft a bit, and I still love the album and the band, but it's fucked. They got old and staid.

Let's just fucking enjoy Boy, October, War, TUF, JT, AB, Zooropa, and POP while we can. While it's not too late. What a truly great band they were.

Look, I'm drunker in this moment than anybody who's ever posted on this site has ever been...except maybe DaveC.

Let's hear it for the first two decades of U2 when they were seriously one of the greatest rock bands of all-time.

And fuck the rest of it.

I could drink the whole band under the table. And they'd look up and say "Who the fuck was that whom outdrank us?"

And I'd look down and say "It's GAF."

Stuck in a Moment is (as a functioning alcoholic) a very spot-on and poignant lyric about the life of someone who lives fast and also lives with constant heartbreak and hangovers. And then trying to help them see the other way. I suppose Hutchence is the *specific* inspiration but it really is a powerful song for anybody with a drinking problem or any substance abuse problem or other dangerous habit or suicidal ideation. I've also thought it works as a breakup song.

Brilliant song, one of the very best U2 has written in the last 20 years.

I adore it, I’ve considered it a perfect, 10/10 song forever. Such a wonderful melancholic pop song, and it’s quite universal, despite the specificity of it.

Back
Top Bottom