Random Music Talk CXXXI: Interference Finally Gets Its Revenge on Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The new Smashing Pumpkins (while a ridiculous triple album) is really, really good.
I'm very pleasantly surprised.

if I added up all the music I've listened to over the past decade, Nick Cave would have to be right up there. Fuck man, I am still addicted to Push the Sky Away. Higgs Boson Blues is the best song ever made.

RIP Rita Lee. I can’t believe how many giants of Brazilian music we lost in the last 12 months. Will cherish those early Mutantes records these next few weeks. She’s a former classmate of my father’s, so this hits close to home.

Will leave this video here - a song I wanted to include in my last DI but wasn’t available on streaming.

https://youtu.be/zbd_ObeUoZI

Last edited:
if I added up all the music I've listened to over the past decade, Nick Cave would have to be right up there. Fuck man, I am still addicted to Push the Sky Away. Higgs Boson Blues is the best song ever made.

You’re a poser who can’t even be bothered to listen to the double album.

There is no greater three-song run in recorded music history than European Oils / Painter in Your Pocket / Looters' Follies.

:up: European Oils & Painter in Your Pocket are the two tracks that got me into Destroyer.

Day 1 of a 3 day music festival here in SLC is complete. Highlights yesterday were Lucius, Deerhoof, Japanese Breakfast, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Looking forward to Alex G and The Strokes today. My feet are already hurting, I may need a wheelchair or Rascal scooter to get home Sunday night!

Hope you had a good time mofo. My co-worker was going. Give us a report on how The Stokes, Pixies and Pavement were.

The new Smashing Pumpkins (while a ridiculous triple album) is really, really good.
I'm very pleasantly surprised.

I don't know what it is, but I just can't listen to Billy's voice anymore. The music on the album is really good, some great metal riffs, but his voice drives me nuts. And I was a huge fan in the 90's, saw them front row, shook his hand and everything.

Corgan's voice has been grating since Mellon Collie, to be honest. Tonight, Tonight is such a beautiful piece of music but the way he belts out the title words is like a whiny child. He's just not a good "rock" singer and his range and tone is much more suited to the quieter ballads; when he doesn't try to scream he's fine enough to listen to.

I've always found the band's recordings are great despite his vocals, not because of them. I still love their albums up through Machina, and I'm a huge fan of that Zwan album as well, where he doesn't sound quite as annoying as usual.

Since he turned into a Libertarian/MAGA fuckhead I've had no interest in listening to anything he's doing, solo or with the band.

I love Tonight, Tonight and in particular 1979 and I have never felt a desire to hear anything more, and all his bullshit and the stupid concepts have not made me want to.

I just played the incredible Murder Most Foul, god that song is good, but then the vibes were immediately ruined because the next song up in my library was Katmandu by Bob Seger. Now I love Bob Seger, but if there's any song you don't want to play immediate after a very lush, stately, 17-minute long banger, it's a rockabilly, silly, upbeat rock-n-roll song that jumps straight in.

Also, last week I got confirmation that my ex is seeing someone, which has unlocked a new layer of grief. So, I would really, really appreciate everyone who sees this to share their best sad albums, particularly if it's to do with break-ups. There's only so many times I can play Lonely by Tom Waits. And before you ask, no, I've never sat down with Sea Change, or Blood on the Tracks, despite the fact I have owned both for years, I will next week.

I just played the incredible Murder Most Foul, god that song is good, but then the vibes were immediately ruined because the next song up in my library was Katmandu by Bob Seger. Now I love Bob Seger, but if there's any song you don't want to play immediate after a very lush, stately, 17-minute long banger, it's a rockabilly, silly, upbeat rock-n-roll song that jumps straight in.

like going from Yesterday to Dizzy Miss Lizzy. :huh:

Also, last week I got confirmation that my ex is seeing someone, which has unlocked a new layer of grief. So, I would really, really appreciate everyone who sees this to share their best sad albums, particularly if it's to do with break-ups. There's only so many times I can play Lonely by Tom Waits. And before you ask, no, I've never sat down with Sea Change, or Blood on the Tracks, despite the fact I have owned both for years, I will next week.

A lesser-known album that has always struck me as profoundly sad is Present Tense by Wild Beasts. There's also Ghosteen and Carnage, but I assume those are already on your radar.

like going from Yesterday to Dizzy Miss Lizzy. :huh:

I don't really know any Beatles albums pre-Rubber Soul so I had to look this up, I of course knew Yesterday but not Dizzy Miss Lizzy. And whilst you are accurate in saying that it's a hell of a transition, I challenge you to actually listen to Murder Most Foul and then Kathmandu back-to-back, it's so much worse than Yesterday > Dizzy Miss Lizzy. (Also, I hadn't heard that song before, it slaps! AND it's actually mentioned in Murder Most Foul)

I'm hoping that the mention of Dizzy Miss Lizzy summons Cori to return and vent once again--she hates that track.

Fiona Apple plays piano on Murder Most Foul, btw.

Wildflowers by Tom Petty.

Also, fuck that shit. Sorry dude for real :(

Also the new Kesha album is great.

until next time.

A lesser-known album that has always struck me as profoundly sad is Present Tense by Wild Beasts. There's also Ghosteen and Carnage, but I assume those are already on your radar.

Listening now, that synth that comes in around 2:35 in the first song is one of the most tortured things I've ever heard, christ. That combined with the music and the vocals, yeah this is fucking great. Thank you

Wildflowers by Tom Petty.

Also, fuck that shit. Sorry dude for real :(

Also the new Kesha album is great.

until next time.

Will put it on my list. Thank you. I'm very happy for her but gee it hurts on my end.

Kesha is awesome. All power to her.

Listening now, that synth that comes in around 2:35 in the first song is one of the most tortured things I've ever heard, christ. That combined with the music and the vocals, yeah this is fucking great. Thank you

Cool, glad you like it. Present Tense was my AoTY for the year it came out. Smother is another excellent album from them.

Sea Change is the true-true. Blood on the Tracks get a lot of ink, but Bob’s “Most of the Time” off Oh Mercy is just as real. And Eels “Dirty Girl” (sexist title, but that’s not what the song is).

Lightbulb Sun by Porcupine Tree has some pretty powerful break-up songs.

Black by Pearl Jam always resonates.

I'm not sure where I heard Most of the Time for the first time, it was in a movie or TV show or something, fantastic song.

Please, keep these coming.

On another note, what are the most fucked up songs that artists have committed to tape? I adore Sixteen by Iggy Pop but holy shit. He was 30 when he wrote that.

The only good part of "Ashes of American Flags" is the part where he sings "Ashes of American flags".

Five points to anyone who gets that joke.

My actual contention about that song is the only good part of it is 3:10 to 3:50. That verse is fantastic, so well written and sung against the distant guitar and piano. And then, just like every other fucking Wilco song, random noise. I've realised that Wilco is such a strange band for me. There is so much about a lot of their songs that I really like but no one album I've heard that I enjoy listening to from start to finish. Summerteeth comes closest but even that isn't that enjoyable of a listening experience. But I can name like 10 Wilco songs that I adore, and then another five or so that I enjoy small parts of.

Back
Top Bottom