Random Music Talk CXXXI: Interference Finally Gets Its Revenge on Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't listened yet, but looking at Metacritic, Pitchfork appears to be the outlier thus far, which is not surprising. Am I expecting something on the level as Some Girls? Of course not, but it seems to be more than holding it's own compared to everything else they've done since then.
Is anyone actually surprised that Pitchfork hates it?

So, in about a month and a half, I've been to three concerts that were truly unique experiences.

The first one was Aphex Twin at the Forwards Festival in Bristol, which was an insane, face-melting, brain-frying assault on the senses. It felt like music coming from the year 3000 in a stage setup that looked like a mix of futuristic Blade Runner city and a sleazy S&M club. The visuals and the music were so overwhelming and nightmarish I was not sure I was actually enjoying myself the whole time, but it sure left a mark afterwards. Amazing experience.

The second one was U2 at the Sphere, and I've written plenty about that one in the other thread. That gig did the impossible - it actually made me enthusiastic about the band again.

The third one was Brian Eno at the Teatro La Fenice in Venice. He was performing his record The Ship (with Kristian Järvi and the Baltic Sea Philharmonic), and the "standing orchestra" enriched the atmosphere and the mood of his music, bringing it to life in an extraordinary fashion. What was a bit of a dull record turned into a mammoth live, and the music served as an ideal soundtrack in that beautiful theatre. The encore was the highlight though, with an emotional rendition of By This River. He should definitely perform more often.

Jealous man... I've seen some clips of recent Aphex Twin shows and indeed it looks incredible. Not sure I'd want to be on anything... and I heard about the Brian Eno gigs and super sad he's not touring more. I read that those Venice shows were like extremely rare ones and some of his first performances in years. Look forward to reading your Sphere review when I catch up on all the old posts.

Buried at the bottom of the newsletter sent out today to Los Campesinos! subscribers:

North American tour dates to be announced next month.

Let’s fucking go.

Shouter :sad:

U2inUtah is a lovely man, however, that is Chris Farley in his profile pic, not Drew Carey as I have thought for 15 years.

Ha! Happy I could set the record straight in person.

Cobbler is pretty friggin’ cool IRL you guys.

I got to hang out with Cobbler for the (third?) time, even if just for a couple hours. A righteous dude.

One day I will make it out to Melbourne.

I think second, I don't think we met when I was there in 2014? Although I stayed on your couch for four nights the first time meeting you? Lol.

You're all welcome to hit me up in Melbourne. It's way better than Sydney,

Another good thing to come of the Sphere shows: it's led me to listen to Frank Sinatra's My Way, and oh my god holy shit, what a song. Making me emotional!

I mean it's a fat man with short hair and glasses. And it's a small image. And the Drew Carey Show is set in Utah (I thought. Apparently it's set in Ohio but I've always gotten the two mixed up.)

I like the Luke Combs version but nothing can compare to the Tracy Chapman version

RollingStone.com

The verdict at this year’s CMA Awards is clear: The most important song and single of the year was first released 35 years ago. Luke Combs‘ version of “Fast Car,” which reached Number Two on the Hot 100 this summer and became one of the unlikely blockbuster hits in any genre, took home the first two CMAs of the evening, for Song and Single of the year.

Chapman’s Song of the Year triumph marks a long overdue milestone: In the 56 previous years, there has never been a Black songwriter — male or female — to win the Song of the Year award before Chapman took home this year’s trophy. It marks a historic achievement for Chapman, and yet another stark reminder of how far the awards show, and the industry that supports it, needs to go with regards to inclusion.

The greatest album of all time comes out on Friday.

André 3000 Releasing Solo Album New Blue Sun This Week

Andre-3000-New-Blue-Sun.jpg

It is 87 minutes long, completely instrumental and mostly flute-based. It has comfortably the best tracklist in the history of recorded music:

1. I swear, I Really Wanted To Make A "Rap" Album But This Is Literally The Way The Wind Blew Me This Time
2. The Slang Word P(*)ssy Rolls Off The Tongue With Far Better Ease Than The Proper Word Vagina . Do You Agree?
3. That Night In Hawaii When I Turned Into A Panther And Started Making These Low Register Purring Tones That I Couldn't Control ... Sh¥t Was Wild
4. BuyPoloDisorder's Daughter Wears A 3000™ Button Down Embroidered
5. Ninety Three 'Til Infinity And Beyoncé
6. Ghandi, Dalai Lama, Your Lord & Savior J.C. / Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, And John Wayne Gacy
7. Ants To You, Gods To Who ?
8. Dreams Once Buried Beneath The Dungeon Floor Slowly Sprout Into Undying Gardens

An incredible interview with the man himself can be found here: https://www.npr.org/2023/11/14/1212661071/andre-3000-album

I'll definitely give that a go.
Do hope it's less of a slog than that latest Carlos Niño & Friends album.

Man, they got rid of the mobile app. This sucks. Does anyone know why the hell that happened and if they're gonna have a different one? We've all talked and joked about it being a dying message board. And that's true. But this is probably the biggest step yet toward really killing the thing.

Back
Top Bottom