Random Music Talk CXVII: Leaked Emails Show Hillary Likes Both Kanye & Taylor Swift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are we, though?

363662.jpg

I'm late to the party, but has anyone checked out Elza Soares' The Woman at the End of the World? I'm somewhat partial, but I think it's the best album to come out of Brazil in the last few years. And by a 79-year old singer. She's an incredible character, and hugely important samba singer in Rio. But I'm just in awe of the scope and diversity of this album, and at how fun she can make a reflection on her own mortality -- the theme of this album -- sound. Her voice is not for everyone, but the whole thing is pretty fantastic.

Last edited:
It's a very enjoyable album.

We need to talk about Brazilian music more often in here. I love it.

There was a great Pitchfork piece recently on Caetano Veloso. What I've heard so far is well deserving of the praise.

It's a very enjoyable album.

We need to talk about Brazilian music more often in here. I love it.

For sure. What do you like? I've been on a samba/bossa nova binge since the Olympics (and more so this week after returning from a week there).

A newish album (2014) I've been listening to a lot is Luiz Melodia's Zerima. It's not particularly inventive, but I just love his voice and could listen to it all day. And I've been listening to Tim Maia as well - possibly the best Brazilian funk singer. Unfortunately Spotify does not have his entire discography, but his self-titled album from 1970 is really nice.

Last edited:
There was a great Pitchfork piece recently on Caetano Veloso. What I've heard so far is well deserving of the praise.

Caetano is great. I've been annoyed at his politics in recent years, which has detracted from some of my enjoyment of his music, but he's undoubtedly one of the 10 most important Brazilian musicians of all time. I tend to see him more as a "singles" than an "albums" artist, though, so I'd recommend one of the great compilations of his singles (the 1990 "Sem Lenço Nem Documento" best of is great). In terms of proper albums, his 1967 self-titled is wonderful, and quite representative of the Tropicália generation. It's incredibly important historically, as it was released a few years into the military regime with important political messages, containing the anti-dictatorship anthem Alegria, Alegria. His lyrics are the best part of his music, though, so I would suggest looking for some translations.

He also happens to have written the best lyrics about my hometown, São Paulo:

But from the musicians of his generation, Gilberto Gil is my favorite. Expresso 2222 is one of the great albums of the 1970s.

For sure. What do you like? I've been on a samba/bossa nova binge since the Olympics (and more so this week after returning from a week there).

I loooooove Brazilian psychedelic rock/Tropicalia. Jorge Ben, Gal Costa (Baby is one of my all-time favorite songs), Os Mutantes, Novos Baianos, Marcos Valle...recently I've discovered the wonderful solo work of Lô Borges...it's such a great scene.

One of my favorite things to do on a warm, sunny day (I experience many of these in SoCal) is select an album I haven't already heard from this terrific chart:

https://rateyourmusic.com/customcha...=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

I loooooove Brazilian psychedelic rock/Tropicalia. Jorge Ben, Gal Costa (Baby is one of my all-time favorite songs), Os Mutantes, Novos Baianos, Marcos Valle...recently I've discovered the wonderful solo work of Lô Borges...it's such a great scene.

One of my favorite things to do on a warm, sunny day (I experience many of these in SoCal) is select an album I haven't already heard from this terrific chart:

Yeah, that psychedelic period was just incredible. Here's a story: my dad went to primary school with Rita Lee. He was recently showing me some class photos, and she already looked like psychedelic Rita Lee as a 12- or 13-year old girl.

All these guys you list were such an important part of my parents' generation that I ended up growing up listening to them all (but mostly their post-Tropicalia careers, when they went into the MPB style). Ha, I had no idea you liked Baby, the song.

Yeah, that psychedelic period was just incredible. Here's a story: my dad went to primary school with Rita Lee. He was recently showing me some class photos, and she already looked like psychedelic Rita Lee as a 12- or 13-year old girl.

All these guys you list were such an important part of my parents' generation that I ended up growing up listening to them all (but mostly their post-Tropicalia careers, when they went into the MPB style). Ha, I had no idea you liked Baby, the song.

The work that Rita Lee and so many other Brazilian musicians were doing to further and complicate US/British psychedelic rock should be celebrated. The first few Os Mutantes records, Milton Nascimento's Milagre dos peixes and Gal Costa's second 1969 self-titled are among the most mind-bending works of psychedelia that I've experienced. Those are deeply enveloping sonic works that actually evoke drug use.

About bossa nova: my experience is limited to Getz/Gilberto (one of my favorites), some Nara Leão and uh Nouvelle Vague's debut. They're OK. I've got a lot more listening to do in this genre.

Last edited:
The work that Rita Lee and so many other Brazilian musicians were doing to further and complicate US/British psychedelic rock should be celebrated. The first few Os Mutantes records, Milton Nascimento's Milagre dos peixes and Gal Costa's second 1969 self-titled are among the most mind-bending works of psychedelia that I've experienced. Those are deeply enveloping sonic works that actually evoke drug use.

About bossa nova: my experience is limited to Getz/Gilberto (one of my favorites), some Nara Leão and uh Nouvelle Vague's debut. They're OK. I've got a lot more listening to do in this genre.

What makes that era pretty incredible is that the music they produced was not only artistically great, it was politically very powerful in a context that, while not reaching the depths of Argentina or Chile, was still quite repressive. Have you checked out Raul Seixas? He's another great one from that period - his album Gitá is great.

For Bossa Nova, I'd go to the classics. João Gilberto's solo work is bossa nova at it's best - the syncopated rhythms, the deceptive simplicity, and the melancholia. His album Chega de Saudade basically created the genre. I consider it the best Brazilian album of all time. And, of course, Jobim, even though he was probably a better composer than a performer. His album with Elis Regina - Elis & Tomis a beauty. The version of Águas de Março that opens that album is out of this world.

Yeah, I saw that and got incredibly happy, bought three tickets, plus a ticket to Angel Olsen, then realised I'm away all that week and can't go :happy::happy::happy:

Well you love them so I thought I might check it out :up:

Oh fuck that sucks! I'm in for a really intense week - that Angel Olsen gig is the day I'll get back from the Crowdies run in Sydney.

Cool, hope you dig Flyying Colours, it works very well as an album. They did it in full at the Workers a week ago and that was pretty cool, though sometimes a bit more subdued than their usual live shows because you could tell Brodie, the frontman, was crapping himself about trying to play the whole damn thing. It went well but I can't see them attempting it again!

And it sounds like my mates Hideous Towns are finally close to releasing their debut. That's going to be great. :up:

i've never heard of such a genre. guess now i have i have plans for this afternoon. :D

I'm listening to the new Opeth, but I'm worried I've put their last two on by mistake.

Back
Top Bottom