Madonna appreciation thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lazarus said:

Shit, Timbaland and Timberlake? It's gotta be good.

Although supposedly it's gonna be more hip-hop influenced, which would put it sonically closest to Bedtime Stories.

Hopefully it's more Don't Stop and I'd Rather Be Your Lover than Forbidden Love & Take a Bow.

I loathe Timbaland with a passion. He might the most overrated producer ever. However, Justin Timberlake is brilliant, so I'm looking forward to anything he and Madonna have worked on. I'm nervous about this album because she seems to be working with the most popular music producers of the day (I think Pharrell is involved too) who are partially responsible for the shit in the Top 40 right now. However, I also know that Madonna doesn't take crap from anybody and even her producers are basically under her creative control. If the album is more "Bedtime Stories" oriented I'll be thrilled. If it's Fergie-oriented, I'll shoot myself in the face.:yuck:

lazarus said:

I remember when Music came out, and when Gone came on I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

That CHORUS. :drool:

I adore that song! I love her acoustically "Intervention", "Nothing Fails", "X-Static Process", and "Love Profusion" are all prime examples of that.

Here's an awesome live version of "Nothing Fails".:drool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JHInkMLhQc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hd0_Um-t0E&feature=related

and then there's this version from Re-Invention, but the quality is not as good

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:
Yeah, she has improved a ton. I have a difficult time listening to the first couple of records now because I've grown accustomed to the deeper Ray of Light/Music era material. Plus, it just sounds better to me.

She definitely has. That's a result of the vocal training she had for Evita. She's said that she was only using half of her range before that and didn't know it. I do like the roughness on the first couple albums though. She's apparently always hated the studio vocals on "Like A Virgin" to which I would agree. She's always sung it much better live.

Here's an example from the Virgin Tour, which was her first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIVU2snA-yU

And I'll throw in the Confessions Tour version for good measure just because it was so hot.:drool: Ask Chass aka DOL13.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6z2UxGSMLI&feature=related

Last edited:
Lila64 said:
I remember when the first album came out. Was working at a record store in L.A. at the time. And then all the young girls would come in, trying to dress like her :huh:

I have the first LP here somewhere. Liked the hits, like bonocomet mentioned. And many songs over the years, though I've never listened to full albums :reject:

One of my faves is Don't Tell Me
Holiday
Borderline
Express Yourself
Lucky Star
Ray Of Light
Music
Beautiful Stranger
Burning Up

Maybe I should check out more of her stuff :hmm:

I personally think you should.:shrug: :lol:

I rated Madonna's albums on another forum in a thread about rating albums. I have all her albums, so here it goes:

American Life // 9.0/10
Like A Prayer // 8.7/10
I'm Breathless (etc) // 8.6/10
Ray Of Light // 8.4/10
Confessions On A Dancefloor // 8.4/10
Erotica // 8.0/10
Music // 7.8/10
Bedtime Story // 7.5/10
True Blue // 7.2/10
Madonna/The First Album // 6.6/10
Like A Virgin // 6.0/10

others:
You Can Dance // 6.4/10
The Immaculate Collection // 8.2/10
Something To Remember // 7.5/10
Evita // 8.0/10
Greatest Hits Vol.2 // 7.5/10
I'm Going To Tell You A Secret // 7.3/10
The Confessions Tour (bonus disc) // 7.5/10

Madonna IS the perfect icon for the contemporaneous popular culture, from the last quarter of century of the XXth and the beggining of the present one.

"Something To Remember" is my love just because it has the wonderful and perfect "This Used To Be My Playground" on it.:drool: It also has one of her best pre-Evita vocals on the little-known and awesome "One More Chance"

After the snippets and unfisinshed versions of new songs... I am afraid that Madonna fell in disgrace and that these partnerships with Timbaland/Timberlake/Pharell are gonna make a forced-pop-hiphop-sound, which will eventually break the continuous string of 4 great albums she released since "Ray Of Light".

I always make an effort to not listen to these snippets and early versions of songs. A lot can change before the album comes out, so I don't want to judge based on those little soundbites.

U2isthebest said:
I always make an effort to not listen to these snippets and early versions of songs. A lot can change before the album comes out, so I don't want to judge based on those little soundbites.

Well, I do.
"Candy Shop" with or without changes is gonna turn into a ridiculous song for a 50 yr-old... girl. The lyrics are way too bad. Madonna wanted sexual metaphors? "Where Life Begins" is a great example of how it can succeed. "Candy Shop" is far from that quality stream lyrically.

From the snippets I heard of "4 Minutes To Save The World" and "The Beat Goes On"... I'm sorry, but they don't seem to be great pop songs as Madonna had been writting.

I hope I am wrong but I predict that this album can disappoint me instead of celebrating Madonna's half-century age.

I like Something to Remember if only because it has You'll See on it, which I love. The video was a sequel to the Take a Bow video ... I think. Wasn't it?

Oh, and I have to give a :drool: for the Power of Goodbye video, with Goran Visjnic. Yum.

The more I think about Bedtime Stories, there ARE a good number of songs on it I like. I mean, it's got great singles: Secret, Take a Bow, Human Nature, Bedtime Stories ... it's everything else that always struck me as bland.

Aygo said:

Well, I do.
"Candy Shop" with or without changes is gonna turn into a ridiculous song for a 50 yr-old... girl. The lyrics are way too bad. Madonna wanted sexual metaphors? "Where Life Begins" is a great example of how it can succeed. "Candy Shop" is far from that quality stream lyrically.

From the snippets I heard of "4 Minutes To Save The World" and "The Beat Goes On"... I'm sorry, but they don't seem to be great pop songs as Madonna had been writting.

I hope I am wrong but I predict that this album can disappoint me instead of celebrating Madonna's half-century age.

Well, I'm definitely not thrilled about Timbaland and Pharell (but I think Justin Timberlake is great), but I'm just reserving judgement until the album comes out. She could re-write some songs or take some off and add new ones before then. We don't know how old these snippets are either. They could be from the earlier stages of recording, so I guess we'll see. I'm worried about the album though too.

Any Madonna fans out there, join Icon, her official fan club. She always does great giveaways and has a ticket presale that actually works. There's a free version and a platinnum version, which costs $39.99, and includes:
The Madonna ICON fan club platinum membership gets you an exclusive fan club gift plus full access to all areas of site including the Community area where you can chat with other fans on the message boards.Plus, whenever Madonna is on tour you will also get presale access to concert tickets before the public!
Priority ticketing before the general public
Access to message boards and exclusive ICON community features
4 digital/PDF printable ICON magazines
Exclusive Madonna photos and videos, screensavers, AIM icons and more!
Members-only discount to the Madonna online store (coming soon!)
Platinum Gift: An exclusive gift will be announced very soon!

I've been an Icon member since 2000 or 2001 and have had only minor issues with it (unlike certain other official fan clubs that will remain nameless). It's a great club to belong to with a lot of fantastic perks.

U2isthebest said:
^^I'm definitely joining that soon! Have you ever seen her live, as in not on DVD?:wink:

Four times: once on Drowned World, twice on Re-Invention (once from the in-stage pit -- amazing!!!), once on Confessions. She is so incredible live, totally worth the money.

I actually submitted an article to the print version of Icon about my experience in the pit that appeared in the magazine. Such an awesome thing to happen, even though they misspelled my name.

"Inside the Pit"

When tickets went on sale for the opening night of Madonna’s Re-Invention Tour at LA’s Forum, I knew I had to go. My friend and I hopped onto Ticketmaster’s site just minutes before the official on sale time, hoping to somehow cheat our way to the front of the line. We clicked and waited and refreshed and, finally, got our tickets.

The seats were decent, about halfway up on the right side of the stage. When May 25, the night of the show arrived, we were beside ourselves with excitement. This was our second Madonna concert experience and we couldn’t wait, especially because this tour was promoting “American Life,” the best album of Madonna’s career, so far.

Our seats provided us with a great vantage point for all the workings of the amazing Re-Invention stage. We didn’t miss a moment as screens flipped and moved, the stage raised and rotated, riggings lowered, platforms sprung up and scenery changed. From the opening moment of “The Beast Within” through the final bows of “Holiday’s” close, we were mesmerized. The show was phenomenal.

This was opening night, though, and I wondered how the show would change over the coming days and months. Madonna was playing a few shows in nearby Anaheim, California, and I wanted to go, needed to go but just didn’t know how.

The how came in the blessed form of an MTV contest. My friend and I both entered for the chance to hang out in the dance pit at one of the Pond shows. She won and was kind enough to take me along with her. Neither one of us could believe it – not only were we going to be seeing Madonna again, but we were going for free and were going to be inside the stage!! June 3rd could not come soon enough.

This time, we were on the left side of the stage, allowing us to get a complete view of the Re-Invention experience. Even though I knew the order of the songs, even though I’d already seen the costumes and videos and dance routines the week before, I was still blown away.

Being in the dance pit is probably the closest I will ever feel to actually being on stage. The screens, platforms, lights and various set pieces were moving all around me, I got to experience the concert from the backstage forward. The back-up singers, dancers and musicians played to us, constantly stopping by, making faces, shaking hands and so on.

But what really brought that feeling of being part of the show home for me was the reaction of the audience. I could look out and see their faces, hear their cheers in such a different way than you do when you’re part of it. And I knew that they could all see me and were wondering how on Earth I got so lucky to actually be in the stage watching this fantastic show.

Being that close to Madonna was also unreal. I’ve admired this woman forever and never thought I’d be any nearer than 20 rows to her. I was anxious and exhilarated and overwhelmed at the prospect of actually seeing her, having her walk by me throughout the night.

My first real look at Madonna that night is something I will never forget. She was doing her back-hand-spring pose during “Vogue,” her head pointing back toward my pit. The hair fell away from her eyes and she looked straight at us. She has the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen, so large and bright.

I was caught up by the entire production, the fantastic dancers, back-up singers and band, but it was Madonna herself who drew me in the most. The power of her performance, her dedication to her work, her energy just blew me away. She worked so hard, putting her all into heart-wrenching songs like “Lament” and “Imagine,” but then lived it up on songs like “Hanky Panky” and “Into the Groove.”

One of my favorite moments from the night was during the “Bedtime Stories” interlude. I watched in amazement as three of the dancers gracefully performed acrobatics on trapeze to the techno music, looking away only when another girl in the pit tapped me on the shoulder. “She’s in there,” she said, pointing to an opening in the stage just in front of us. I looked down, she certainly was. There was Madonna, ready for the next set in her beret and pantsuit, guitar in hand, ready to take a seat on her stool.

“Bedtime Stories” ended, the platform rose and Madonna went into “Nothing Fails.” I watched her intently, her fingers creating chords on the neck of the guitar, and sang along with all my heart. This was what the night was all about, enjoying the hell out of the 24 songs and relishing the opportunity to be this close to my idol.

I knew when the final set was coming, and as the piper and drummer rose out of the stage, I was sad. The night went by so quickly, even faster than the first show at the Forum. I could have stayed all night, I could have stood in the pit every night of the tour, but I knew I’d had my chance and it was amazing.

As much as I love going to concerts, I know every artist I ever see again is going to be hard-pressed to compete with my night in the Re-Invention dance pit.

Last edited:
dsmith2904 said:

Four times: once on Drowned World, twice on Re-Invention (once from the in-stage pit -- amazing!!!), once on Confessions. She is so incredible live, totally worth the money.

I actually submitted an article to the print version of Icon about my experience in the pit that appeared in the magazine. Such an awesome thing to happen, even though they misspelled my name.

"Inside the Pit"

When tickets went on sale for the opening night of Madonna’s Re-Invention Tour at LA’s Forum, I knew I had to go. My friend and I hopped onto Ticketmaster’s site just minutes before the official on sale time, hoping to somehow cheat our way to the front of the line. We clicked and waited and refreshed and, finally, got our tickets.

The seats were decent, about halfway up on the right side of the stage. When May 25, the night of the show arrived, we were beside ourselves with excitement. This was our second Madonna concert experience and we couldn’t wait, especially because this tour was promoting “American Life,” the best album of Madonna’s career, so far.

Our seats provided us with a great vantage point for all the workings of the amazing Re-Invention stage. We didn’t miss a moment as screens flipped and moved, the stage raised and rotated, riggings lowered, platforms sprung up and scenery changed. From the opening moment of “The Beast Within” through the final bows of “Holiday’s” close, we were mesmerized. The show was phenomenal.

This was opening night, though, and I wondered how the show would change over the coming days and months. Madonna was playing a few shows in nearby Anaheim, California, and I wanted to go, needed to go but just didn’t know how.

The how came in the blessed form of an MTV contest. My friend and I both entered for the chance to hang out in the dance pit at one of the Pond shows. She won and was kind enough to take me along with her. Neither one of us could believe it – not only were we going to be seeing Madonna again, but we were going for free and were going to be inside the stage!! June 3rd could not come soon enough.

This time, we were on the left side of the stage, allowing us to get a complete view of the Re-Invention experience. Even though I knew the order of the songs, even though I’d already seen the costumes and videos and dance routines the week before, I was still blown away.

Being in the dance pit is probably the closest I will ever feel to actually being on stage. The screens, platforms, lights and various set pieces were moving all around me, I got to experience the concert from the backstage forward. The back-up singers, dancers and musicians played to us, constantly stopping by, making faces, shaking hands and so on.

But what really brought that feeling of being part of the show home for me was the reaction of the audience. I could look out and see their faces, hear their cheers in such a different way than you do when you’re part of it. And I knew that they could all see me and were wondering how on Earth I got so lucky to actually be in the stage watching this fantastic show.

Being that close to Madonna was also unreal. I’ve admired this woman forever and never thought I’d be any nearer than 20 rows to her. I was anxious and exhilarated and overwhelmed at the prospect of actually seeing her, having her walk by me throughout the night.

My first real look at Madonna that night is something I will never forget. She was doing her back-hand-spring pose during “Vogue,” her head pointing back toward my pit. The hair fell away from her eyes and she looked straight at us. She has the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen, so large and bright.

I was caught up by the entire production, the fantastic dancers, back-up singers and band, but it was Madonna herself who drew me in the most. The power of her performance, her dedication to her work, her energy just blew me away. She worked so hard, putting her all into heart-wrenching songs like “Lament” and “Imagine,” but then lived it up on songs like “Hanky Panky” and “Into the Groove.”

One of my favorite moments from the night was during the “Bedtime Stories” interlude. I watched in amazement as three of the dancers gracefully performed acrobatics on trapeze to the techno music, looking away only when another girl in the pit tapped me on the shoulder. “She’s in there,” she said, pointing to an opening in the stage just in front of us. I looked down, she certainly was. There was Madonna, ready for the next set in her beret and pantsuit, guitar in hand, ready to take a seat on her stool.

“Bedtime Stories” ended, the platform rose and Madonna went into “Nothing Fails.” I watched her intently, her fingers creating chords on the neck of the guitar, and sang along with all my heart. This was what the night was all about, enjoying the hell out of the 24 songs and relishing the opportunity to be this close to my idol.

I knew when the final set was coming, and as the piper and drummer rose out of the stage, I was sad. The night went by so quickly, even faster than the first show at the Forum. I could have stayed all night, I could have stood in the pit every night of the tour, but I knew I’d had my chance and it was amazing.

As much as I love going to concerts, I know every artist I ever see again is going to be hard-pressed to compete with my night in the Re-Invention dance pit.

That's so incredible! I would've loved to have had that experience!:drool: My mom and I are probably going to see her on the next tour (hopefully it's this summer :hyper: ) Since all of my friends like shite music, I know they wouldn't be interesed in going.

Back
Top Bottom