Madonna appreciation thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:
I was 11 when Like a Virgin came out, and I bought the 45. I remember my mom saying something like, "I don't know that I like you listening to that song."

I rolled my eyes and said, :tsk: "Moooom, I don't listen to it for the lyrics."

Which was mostly true. :wink:

(Thank god she never really listened to those Prince records I had. :uhoh: )

I'm sure Mom would've been a big fan of Prince's "Gett Off":up:

Also, I'll be a rebel and say that I like "Love Song" the Madonna/Prince duet on 'Like A Prayer'

lazarus said:

Prude.

MadonnaSex.jpg
madonnasex.jpg

I remember the madness when the Sex book came out..

U2isthebest said:

That must've been awesome. I would've loved to have been around during the mid-80s Madonna craze, but, alas, I was not born until '88'.:sigh:

Those were the days..The NYC club scene was pumping with Madonna back then it was great!

lazarus said:
Let's get unconscious, baby.

That's one of the songs I like on it. But the video FREAKS ME OUT.

Seriously - mouths where the eyes should be? AUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I saw a site somewhere with celebs photoshopped with their mouths 'shopped onto where their eyes should be.

U2isthebest said:
Also, I'll be a rebel and say that I like "Love Song" the Madonna/Prince duet on 'Like A Prayer'

Considering this song had two of the 3 biggest 80's icons (we won't mention that other freak), you'd think the results would be a bit more...interesting. It's a good song, but every time I hear it I can't help think "that's it"? It's like every other song on here could be a hit single. This one...not so much.

Ditto (to Lazarus).

Laz, I used to think I disagreed with you on many, many things. But as time goes on, I realize it's only your extreme hatred of the last two REM albums that I vehemently disagree with you.

I'm agreeing with you all over the place! :wink:

corianderstem said:

That's one of the songs I like on it. But the video FREAKS ME OUT.

Seriously - mouths where the eyes should be? AUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

visual-innovation-creativity-madonna.jpg

Sweet dreams, Cori.

BTW, you know this was I think the first Madonna song that didn't hit the Top 10? I guess that's what happens when you try to fit Bjork into the mainstream.

U2isthebest said:

That must've been awesome. I would've loved to have been around during the mid-80s Madonna craze, but, alas, I was not born until '88'.:sigh:

I remember listening to Borderline before too many people knew who she was and thinking wow! She was one of the few things I liked in music during the 80's.

corianderstem said:
Ditto (to Lazarus).

Laz, I used to think I disagreed with you on many, many things. But as time goes on, I realize it's only your extreme hatred of the last two REM albums that I vehemently disagree with you.

Too bad Madonna already used the title Bedtime Stories, because R.E.M. could have taken it for either of those albums.

Get it?!

Other than that, I love when cool people agree with me.

:wink:

That would be a great band name: Lower Left Madonna

I'm really excited for her new album this year. I hope it's made of awesome.

corianderstem said:
I'm really excited for her new album this year. I hope it's made of awesome.

Shit, Timbaland and Timberlake? It's gotta be good.

Although supposedly it's gonna be more hip-hop influenced, which would put it sonically closest to Bedtime Stories.

Hopefully it's more Don't Stop and I'd Rather Be Your Lover than Forbidden Love & Take a Bow.

I love Forbidden Love and Take a Bow. Don't Stop is good, but not one of my favorites.

I couldn't pick I'd Rather Be Your Lover out of a lineup if it were holding a bloody knife.

Erotic

Erotic

PUT YOUR HANDS ALL OVER MY BODY.

Madonna is indeed the queen of pop. Good singer, musical chameleon, and still makes good stuff today. :up: I appreciate.

I think she really should be commended for how much her singing has improved since she first came onto the scene. I don't think she gets enough credit for that.

Yeah, she has improved a ton. I have a difficult time listening to the first couple of records now because I've grown accustomed to the deeper Ray of Light/Music era material. Plus, it just sounds better to me.

corianderstem said:
I think she really should be commended for how much her singing has improved since she first came onto the scene. I don't think she gets enough credit for that.

I remember when Music came out, and when Gone came on I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

That CHORUS. :drool:

I remember when the first album came out. Was working at a record store in L.A. at the time. And then all the young girls would come in, trying to dress like her :huh:

I have the first LP here somewhere. Liked the hits, like bonocomet mentioned. And many songs over the years, though I've never listened to full albums :reject:

One of my faves is Don't Tell Me
Holiday
Borderline
Express Yourself
Lucky Star
Ray Of Light
Music
Beautiful Stranger
Burning Up

Maybe I should check out more of her stuff :hmm:

one4u2 said:
The Truth or Dare movie was fun to watch too

I love "Truth or Dare". I think the one she made on the Re-Invention tour in '04', "I'm Gonna Tell You A Secret" is even better. It really shows how much she's changed over the years.

lazarus said:

BTW, you know this was I think the first Madonna song that didn't hit the Top 10? I guess that's what happens when you try to fit Bjork into the mainstream.

Actually, that dubious disctinction belongs to "Rain" or "Bad Girl" (whichever one of those was a single first), which is a shame because they're so underrated. The SEX controversy really hurt "Erotica". It's a shame that people couldn't look past that and see the depth of the album overall. I love "Bedtime Story".

corianderstem said:
I love Forbidden Love and Take a Bow. Don't Stop is good, but not one of my favorites.

I couldn't pick I'd Rather Be Your Lover out of a lineup if it were holding a bloody knife.

I love all of these songs in different ways.:heart: "Survival" is basically the only song on the album I can't stomach. It's one of the few Madonna songs I loathe. I'm not a huge fan of "Human Nature" either, but I can tolerate it.

Back
Top Bottom