US Politics XXXVIII: "Patriots" vs Reality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep haha.

Smith has one shot to remove her, and even that one shot is a long one. She has not done anything egregious or against the law. Everything she has done has pushed a boundary but doesn’t seem like it would be enough for the 11th to throw her off the case

They may not even throw her off the case, instead just reprimand her which will only force her to move even slower if that’s possible.

As far as I’m concerned this documents case is dead and will never be tried. Still don’t get why it was sent to FL when DC could have fit too

Yep haha.

Smith has one shot to remove her, and even that one shot is a long one. She has not done anything egregious or against the law. Everything she has done has pushed a boundary but doesn’t seem like it would be enough for the 11th to throw her off the case

They may not even throw her off the case, instead just reprimand her which will only force her to move even slower if that’s possible.

As far as I’m concerned this documents case is dead and will never be tried. Still don’t get why it was sent to FL when DC could have fit too
That’s not a realistic view. Cannon doesn’t have magical powers and the 11th will hold her accountable.

Accountable for what ? She hasn’t done anything illegal. She determines the schedule. If she had or has done anything to warrant going to the 11th Jack would have done it.

I don’t think she’s magical or brilliant. I think she’d incompetent and it’s cost the country a fair trial at one of the most traitorous acts anyone has committed.

The only silver lining is that she can’t mess with the rest of the 2024 schedule. Assuming the SC doesn’t declare Trump a King, the DC case stands a decent chance of happening this year

Accountable for what ? She hasn’t done anything illegal. She determines the schedule. If she had or has done anything to warrant going to the 11th Jack would have done it.

I don’t think she’s magical or brilliant. I think she’d incompetent and it’s cost the country a fair trial at one of the most traitorous acts anyone has committed.

The only silver lining is that she can’t mess with the rest of the 2024 schedule. Assuming the SC doesn’t declare Trump a King, the DC case stands a decent chance of happening this year
She can’t just delay a trial indefinitely over and over. That’s not a thing. The 11th is going to either overrule or remove her.

I do agree though that with the schedule, it would have been probably the last trial to happen anyway.

She can’t just delay a trial indefinitely over and over. That’s not a thing. The 11th is going to either overrule or remove her.

I do agree though that with the schedule, it would have been probably the last trial to happen anyway.
No she is going to eventually schedule it. But any other judge or client and this case has been tried and verdict months ago.

Her plan, whether incompetent or not was to give Trump as much wiggle room as possible.

If he wins, it’ll be dropped.

I know polls have been kinda rubbish and hard for trust

But let’s hope they are not accurate cause they have been brutal for Joe

I know polls have been kinda rubbish and hard for trust

But let’s hope they are not accurate cause they have been brutal for Joe

i see the same polls - but i also see Trump losing 22% of the vote in the Indiana GOP primary to a candidate who dropped out 3 months ago.

so i'm not exactly sure what to believe.

i see the same polls - but i also see Trump losing 22% of the vote in the Indiana GOP primary to a candidate who dropped out 3 months ago.

so i'm not exactly sure what to believe.
Yep. Polls really seem like a crapshoot. The one I pay the most attention to is "Likely Voters". In past elections, that's been the best indicator.

always keep a close eye who is sponsoring/paying for the poll. in this case it's the AARP.

trump normally polls well higher than +4 among seniors (AARP members) so if he's really only up by +4 right now among seniors in a major swing state then that's actually a brutal poll for trump.

but god forbid the media looks any deeper than the very top line number instead of just screeching out the most alarming thing possible. :rolleyes:

always keep a close eye who is sponsoring/paying for the poll. in this case it's the AARP.

trump normally polls well higher than +4 among seniors (AARP members) so if he's really only up by +4 right now among seniors in a major swing state then that's actually a brutal poll for trump.

but god forbid the media looks any deeper than the very top line number instead of just screeching out the most alarming thing possible. :rolleyes:
So true. Also, it's quite obvious that NYT wants to project this as a scary race where Biden is behind. Don't trust a thing from them.

Nate Silver - "See this poll that clearly shows Biden ahead with likely voters? Nope, not putting that one in my model."

Something else that isn't being captured by polls right now:

Indiana held their republican primary last night and even still Haley got 21.7% of the vote. That's fully 1/5th of the GOP electorate in a red state that is still refusing to fall in line and vote for Trump. That number is pretty consistent with the other states that have held primaries in the past month or so.

Of course some of those voters will fall in line and vote for Trump in November. Probably not many of those voters will vote for Biden, but some small percentage of them indeed will. And an even larger percentage of those voters will just stay home on election day.

AZ, GA, PA, and WI were all decided by less than 3% last time and Trump needs to flip at least two of them to get to 270 EVs. If even something like 10% of those non-Trump GOP primary voters just stay home, he's completely fucked.

Something else that isn't being captured by polls right now:

Indiana held their republican primary last night and even still Haley got 21.7% of the vote. That's fully 1/5th of the GOP electorate in a red state that is still refusing to fall in line and vote for Trump. That number is pretty consistent with the other states that have held primaries in the past month or so.

Of course some of those voters will fall in line and vote for Trump in November. Probably not many of those voters will vote for Biden, but some small percentage of them indeed will. And an even larger percentage of those voters will just stay home on election day.

AZ, GA, PA, and WI were all decided by less than 3% last time and Trump needs to flip at least two of them to get to 270 EVs. If even something like 10% of those non-Trump GOP primary voters just stay home, he's completely fucked.
100%. The burden is on Trump to flip enough voters, and he’s going to have to do this with a lot less campaign money and possibly being a convicted felon.

That's correct, no pardon power from federal level. Not sure if he could pressure state to grant pardon.

What's the timeframe for this NY trial? It's in it's 3rd week correct? Thinking 8-12 total weeks? Then jury deliberations.

Even if convicted he will appeal right away and he wouldn't be in jail/prison on appeal.
I think the prosecution said 10
More days until they rest as of yesterday?
To add - after doing my one research (like Aaron Rodgers) it does seem as if the Supreme Court could potentially overturn state convictions based on issues if constitutionality.

I'm not sure what legitimate argument they would have here - but it would be something to watch out for.

I'm not sure our democracy survives an imprisoned president being let free by a supreme Court that he personally picked.
worst case scenario. We will fully transition to an anocracy by that point.

I can also see one of the jurors not voting to convict because “National healing” or some bs like that. A fine in lieu of jail or a pardon from Governor “Blacks don’t know about computers” Hochul

The one area where I think there's some validity to "Trump Spends All Day In Court: Here's Why It's Bad News For Joe Biden," at least in the short term, is that the more he's in court the less he's out there embarrassing himself and reminding people of just what a fucking diaster he is.
I rather enjoy all the old man “it’s so cold in there” press conferences he gives immediately after.

Yep haha.

If they tried to throw her off the case it would go before Thomas I think, who definitely wouldn’t do that.

I rather enjoy all the old man “it’s so cold in there” press conferences he gives immediately after.
Well that's kinda my point. Even in the 2 minutes that he gets in front of the cameras he comes off as a mush brained invalid.

The more time he's in front of camera the more people can be reminded about the fact that he is, in fact, Donald Trump.

A serial rapist with dementia
A loon who’s brain was eaten by a worm
81 year old Joe Biden

Those are the choices presented to America haha

Sleepy Joe all the way so it’s not even a choice

There has to be a line drawn somewhere with Netanyahu, enough is enough

Racine, WisconsinCNN —
President Joe Biden said for the first time Wednesday he would halt some shipments of American weapons to Israel – which he acknowledged have been used to kill civilians in Gaza – if Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu orders a major invasion of the city of Rafah.

“Civilians have been killed in Gaza as a consequence of those bombs and other ways in which they go after population centers,” Biden told CNN’s Erin Burnett in an exclusive interview on “Erin Burnett OutFront,” referring to 2,000-pound bombs that Biden paused shipments of last week.

Back
Top Bottom