US Politics XXXVIII: "Patriots" vs Reality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Likewise, Palestinians exist. And Israel has to understand this. And I’m worried they are walking right into yet another trap.

Gym Jordan is the new Speaker. A massive victory for integrity GOP !

no he isn't. he was named as the nominee by a simple majority of GOP representatives (124-81) behind closed doors. when it goes to the full house for a vote there's no chance in hell he has 217 yes votes.

my bet for what happens next is jordan does the exact same thing as scalise and quits after a few days of trying and failing to wrangle the votes, then after a week or so of nothing much happening, mchenry is promoted to full-time speaker because there's literally nobody else.

Last edited:
no he isn't. he was named as the nominee by a simple majority of GOP representatives (124-81) behind closed doors. when it goes to the full house for a vote there's no chance in hell he has 217 yes votes. If they did I actually think I might faint from the shock. How many of those even exist now in the GOP?

my bet for what happens next is jordan does the exact same thing as scalise and quits after a few days of trying and failing to wrangle the votes, then after a week or so of nothing much happening, mchenry is promoted to full-time speaker because there's literally nobody else.

Well I knew he was nominated so I figured he would just get it, that's what I was saying because who else would they have left? They're not going to elect a non Trumper or anyone who wasn't an election denier.

I never even heard of that McHenry guy before all of this.

Well I knew he was nominated so I figured he would just get it, that's what I was saying because who else would they have left? They're not going to elect a non Trumper or anyone who wasn't an election denier.

I never even heard of that McHenry guy before all of this.

What about the possibility of Jordan as speaker? After all, he is the only current candidate still standing, which means the path could be clear for him, right? Wrong. Or, at least, we remain very, very skeptical. As we have written many times, he has enormous baggage between his overall extremism, his support for the 1/6 coup and for Donald Trump, his sham committee "investigations," and his pre-political-career scandal at Ohio State. We just don't see how he could get 217 votes.

And if Jordan did not have liabilities enough, there's also a new twist. Reportedly, the Ohioan thinks he's smarter than the average bear, and decided to try to play a little 3-D chess with Scalise. So, Jordan proposed that he would nominate and support Scalise in the first round of balloting for speaker, and if he was not elected, Scalise would drop out and nominate and support Jordan in the second round of balloting. Since there was no chance Scalise would be elected in the first round, it was a hollow and self-serving offer, and one that just served to antagonize Scalise loyalists. "He tried to extort Steve and Steve said 'no,'" said one Republican lawmaker, speaking off the record. "He's a fu**ing snake and disgraceful," said another. "There's zero chance Jim Jordan is speaker after the last 30 hours."

https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2023/Items/Oct13-1.html

that's 2 no votes right there - only 2 more GOP reps need to vote no (which is almost certain) and jordan's goose is cooked.

the author could of course be wrong but they are almost always spot-on with this kind of analysis. fwiw, they were one of the first to explain clearly and rationally why desantis' campaign was almost certain to crash and burn, before he even jumped in the race at the time a few months ago when basically all the media was saying that he was likely to beat trump for the nomination.

If you want to Free Palestine … it must first be freed from Hamas.

As of last Saturday, if there was any faint gray area on this, there isn't anymore.
Whether that can really happen or not, who knows.

It's playing out right now on the streets in Gaza. And underground, literally.

US Politics XXXVIII: "Patriots" vs Reality

Leveling Gaza is a trap and not surprising Bibi administration would pursue this path.

Hamas needs to be expelled and dealt with accordingly. Find ways to get them without wiping out hundreds of thousands.

There needs to be more international pressure put on Qatar for letting terrorist leaders use their resorts. Maybe let’s not host future world cups or other events which continues to pour financial benefits to bad actors.

There is almost zero support from other Middle East countries. They don’t care about Palestine or the people. They only care about hurting Israel. If they were serious then some diplomatic means could be found and maybe harbor some form of ceasefire / peace agreement. Israel leaving gaza 20 years ago did not achieve any legit form of governance from within those borders. Only Hamas taking over and keeping people angry and in poverty.

X (Twitter) has been completely destroyed as a valuable resource during events like this. The amount of disinformation and bots makes it almost unreadable. Ditto for the new policy of not showing headlines of articles.

The discourse over whether babies heads were indeed cut off or you know just brutally murdered as some form of serious debate was enough for me. Ditto for the constant whatsboutism of Israel strikes in Gaza.

It’s why i think the retaliation falls into the hands of terrorists and further divides what could have been a United moment

Not showing any restraint or regard for human rights / laws of engagement will only flip discourse back to “well israel did this and that so that’s why Hamas does this and that”

Last edited:
Israel resumes water supply to southern Gaza after U.S. pressure
https://www.axios.com/2023/10/15/israel-resumes-water-supply-to-southern-gaza-after-us-pressure

...Behind the scenes: Israeli officials say the Biden administration pressed the Israeli government in the last 48 hours to resume the water supply, especially to the southern part of the Gaza Strip.

Israel has told more than 1 million Palestinians to evacuate the northern part of the Strip to the south to avoid being harmed by Israel's expected ground offensive.
Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians have since moved to the south, putting more pressure on limited supplies and shelters.
The Biden administration told Israel that it couldn't tell Palestinians to evacuate to the southern Gaza Strip without allowing them to have water, the Israeli officials said.

To the extent that Palestinians have been able to move south, and have been 'allowed' to move south by their Hamas rulers...
turning on the water spigot is a positive in an ongoing awful situation.

I do wonder how many Hamas operatives are moving south along with the civilians. I suppose it can't be helped at the moment.

I’m so glad Egypt has been welcoming the Palestinians with open arms.

Were they before Blinken started getting involved ? At the beginning i thought they had closed the border.

Glad it’s open now and very relieved to Biden and his admin during this. Trump would be trying to sell Trump Water to Gaza.

https://x.com/sahilkapur/status/1713915612768944169?s=46&t=7qdYZNgiKjw76N1iFrMMAw

Back here in US

The supposed “moderates”, “non crazy” are showing they are nothing but cowards.

Still not sure Gym Jordan has the votes, but he is chipping away.

It’s completely insane that a man who co-conspired to overthrow the government as well as ignore a subpoena could be in charge of certifying the 2024 election

Were they before Blinken started getting involved ? At the beginning i thought they had closed the border.

Glad it’s open now and very relieved to Biden and his admin during this. Trump would be trying to sell Trump Water to Gaza.

The border with Egypt is not open to Palestinian refugees, as of yet.

The estimated number of hostages being held in and under Gaza is rising.
The number of Americans killed in Israel is now at 30.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...y/nearly-200-people-hostage-hamas-israel-gaza

PLAINFIELD, Ill. (WLS) -- The 6-year-old suburban boy stabbed to death in an apparent hate crime over the weekend was laid to rest on Monday, in Muslim tradition.

Landlord Joseph Czuba stabbed Wadea Al-Fayoume and his mother, 32-year-old Hanaan Shahin, in unincorporated Plainfield Saturday morning because they are Muslim, the Will County Sheriff's Office said.

Al-Fayoume's uncle, Mahmoud Yousef, spoke for the boy's family at a press conference before the funeral prayer on Monday afternoon.

The boy's father, Odey Al-Fayoume, also spoke, but only in his native language.

"A 71-year old man, sitting up on top of a 6-year-old kid, stabbing him more than 26 times, and he was looking in his eyes," Yousef said.

The message was much broader than this one act of violence.

"He's a 6-year-old kid. As any other 6-year-old kid, he likes to play games," Yousef said. He's a very kind kid. He likes to jump up and down."

The boy's funeral and the circumstances behind his tragic death came in the midst of war in the Middle East.

"The gentleman heard it. It was in his mind. The only thing he saw. He saw that kid and his mom," Yousef said. "I just want to tell the whole world that we live in a country called USA. We're not at war, and we're not bringing war here, too."

Many Pro-Palestinian and Muslim faith leaders placed the blame for this crime on the shoulders of President Joe Biden, U.S. support for Israel and the media's coverage of the war.

"This heinous crime did not take place in a vacuum," said Osama Abuirshaid, executive director of the American Muslims for Palestine.

Inside the mosque, hundreds bowed their heads in prayer.

BBC News

The last words of a six-year-old US Muslim boy stabbed to death in a suspected hate crime over the weekend were "Mom, I'm fine", his uncle said as hundreds gathered to lay the child to rest.

Many Pro-Palestinian and Muslim faith leaders placed the blame for this crime on the shoulders of President Joe Biden, U.S. support for Israel and the media's coverage of the war.

"This heinous crime did not take place in a vacuum.

The wife of the suspect said he was terrified by right wing radio shows. He believed 10/13 was going to be a day of Jihad. He was sucked into a vacuum of lies and hatred. Like millions of others.

To blame Joe Biden is just bullshit. Biden and Blinken might be the only people keeping Israel and rest of Middle East from all out war

To blame Joe Biden is just bullshit. Biden and Blinken might be the only people keeping Israel and rest of Middle East from all out war

Biden is the cause of the war in the middle east as well as the reason the Republicans have no Speaker of the House.

I’m really confused

On one hand Biden is so old, weak, and incoherent it’s likely it’s a weekend at Bernie’s setup

On the other, a fucking raging war monger Marxist atheist hell bent on destroying the universe.

Thanks Obama for unleashing this on us

And then he blames Democrats even though zero Republicans voted for Nancy Pelosi to be speaker.

It's times like today where X/Twitter would be a tool for accurate information and not the cesspool Musk has turned it into.

Reports out of Gaza that Israel launched an airstrike against a hospital. Killing over 500 people.
Israel is denying the attack. Saying it was a failed missile launch from Gaza.

But it's insane to see the shit just thrown out there on the platform. Even calls for holding Joe Biden responsible for the apparent war crime. That his very appearance in Isreal is now support for Palestinian genocide.

It's just insane. I would say that maybe delaying his visit after this tragedy could be wise. Figure out exactly what happened, and if it was Israel then yeah, there needs to be some political consequences from the West.

Even if it's proven Israel did not actually do it, so much disinformation out there and people's attachment to their "side", no one will believe it anyway.

It makes no sense for Israel to bomb a hospital literally hours before Biden arrives.

But we don’t know, so will wait to learn more.

It’s incredibly tragic. I hate it.

I believe Israel needs to root out Hamas. What they was henious!

I also know with the situation of Netanyahu allowing illegal settlements in the West Bank taking up land that could be part of a contiguous Palestinian State - that's been bad for years!

And of how do unarmed Palestinians who don't support them fight back against Hamas. If I understand correctly Hamas hasn't allowed an election for years now.

Otoh the Pro Palestinian marches with some people holding up (or chanting) the slogan "from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free" certainly seems to mean getting rid of Israel. That's awful!
Jews had a presence there in that area since almost time immemorial.

Though on my political site someone said that Ben Gurion didn't want a Jewish State set up in the Middle East. I have to look that up

I also remember that Netanyahu was part of batch of people creating the atmosphere that led to Rabin's assassination.

Back
Top Bottom