US Politics XXXVI: Special Masters of our Domain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Post-election news out on the $400 billion dollar+++ executive order on student loans.
The White House is shocked :eek:
(not)

Why you should repay your student loans even after Biden extended the repayment pause
https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/pay-down-student-loans-during-pause-2022-11

With the Biden administration's student loan forgiveness plan tied up in the courts, the government is again extending the repayment pause that's been in effect since March 2020. But for many borrowers, the smart move would be to make payments anyway.

Biden's plan is to forgive $10,000 in student loans for single borrowers who make $125,000 or less and married couples and heads of households who make less than $250,000. The amount of forgiveness will be $20,000 for Pell Grant recipients. While the latest pause could mean you won't have to make payments until late August 2023, making payments on balances exceeding the forgiveness amount in the meantime can save you a lot of money.

"If you have student loans, you should start paying them down, but consider leaving that last $10,000 or $20,000 until the court cases work themselves out," said Jay Zigmont, a CFP® professional and founder of Childfree Wealth. "The bonus of paying your loans now is that the entire payment is going to the principal. If you are down to your last $10,000 of loans, consider putting the payment into a savings account that can either be used or put toward the loan once we have an answer on forgiveness."

.....Typically, when you make payments on loans, you're not only paying down the balance of your debt but also the interest on your principal. This can occasionally lead to borrowers who make on-time payments actually having their loan balances go up because their payments only cover a portion of interest and don't reduce the principal at all.

Sounds like good advice.

I’ve wiped away $18,000 during zero interest.

I’m fortunate enough to be able to do that, but also as a 30 year old I missed the boat towards 3% interest rates and affordable housing. Was it the right move? Probably not.

Actually idk what I’m saying. Worst move ever. I could’ve had $200,000 in equity if I didn’t have student loans and instead bought a home in 2020.

Actually idk what I’m saying. Worst move ever. I could’ve had $200,000 in equity if I didn’t have student loans and instead bought a home in 2020.

Yep I was about to say the same thing. Our College/Student Loan process is such a ripoff that I'm actually 100% on board with neither of my kids going to college and working their way up the ladder in an office/sales job.

Lots of good news tonight. Trump can get sued for rape with the new NY law going into effect tomorrow. The conservative court of GA reinstates one of the harshest abortion laws in the country a week and a half before the runoff election. The special master is gonna get booted and Jack Smith, the radical leftist, former TN Assistant AG, and Hauge war crimes prosecutor, is off and running.And Peltola wins in AK by 10 points!

Last edited:
iu

Happy Turkey Day! :beer::beer:

Ukraine war: Facing a harsh winter on the front line
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63730419.amp

With temperatures dropping, a new enemy emerges - the cold.

Most people pin their hopes on an old metal stove called a burzhuika, which was popular a century ago. There is no gas or running water.

To stay in touch with the outside world, people gather in the mornings at the only place that has electricity and a mobile network.

_127784435_ukraine_night_time_satellite_image_v3_640-2x-nc.png.webp

_127753582_mediaitem127753581.jpg.webp

Gross

(CNN)Former President Donald Trump hosted White nationalist and Holocaust denier Nick Fuentes and rapper Kanye West at his Mar-a-Lago estate this week, demonstrating his continued willingness to associate with figures who have well-publicized antisemitic views as he embarks on another White House run.

West, who has legally changed his name to Ye, posted a video Thursday on Twitter in which he claimed that Trump "is really impressed with Fuentes," who has repeatedly made antisemitic and racist comments as chronicled by the Anti-Defamation League.

Fuentes, West said in the Twitter video, "is actually a loyalist" to Trump, unlike others who he said abandoned the former president after the 2020 election.

In a text message conversation tweeted by West on Thursday, he and Fuentes said they both met with the former president. A source confirmed to CNN Trump's dinner with Fuentes and West, who became engulfed in controversy after repeating antisemitic conspiracy theories and making other offensive claims during an appearance on a podcast in October.

Trump acknowledged the dinner in a post on Truth Social Friday stating: "This past week, Kanye West called me to have dinner at Mar-a-Lago. Shortly thereafter, he unexpectedly showed up with three of his friends, whom I knew nothing about. We had dinner on Tuesday evening with many members present on the back patio. The dinner was quick and uneventful. They then left for the airport."

West's recent antisemitic remarks caused companies that he was affiliated with -- including Adidas and Balenciaga -- to sever their relationships with him. He has made numerous inflammatory statements over the years, including assertions that slavery was a "choice" and "racism is a dated concept."

The Anti-Defamation League has identified Fuentes as a White supremacist and he has been banned from most major social media platforms for his White nationalist rhetoric. Fuentes was present on the grounds of the US Capitol on January 6, 2021, and he has promoted Trump's unsubstantiated claims about fraud in the 2020 election. The House select committee investigating the events of January 6 issued a subpoena to Fuentes in January.

West tweeted late Tuesday night that he had kept Trump waiting during his first visit to Mar-a-Lago due to rain and traffic. And Right Wing Watch, a project of the left-leaning group People for the American Way, posted Tuesday footage of West and Fuentes walking through the Miami airport together. That footage was included in the video West posted on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/dylanburns1776/status/1596651909284507648?s=46&t=YY7ahDjNfFPBc0SI98oLSg

Did Kim break his brain more than his heart ?

I’ve only seen a few Democrats criticize Trump for dining with a Nazi. No one from the GQP.

Trump is still the leader of that political party, and it’s insane this hasn’t been a bigger story.

I fear it’s only gonna get crazier since the Republicans will try to distance from Trump for now but the only ones who’ll openly support the Orange one are the worst of the worst

Of course now Trump is throwing his buddy Kanye under the bus, because what else would
Trump do. And of course Trump had no idea that the "uninvited guest" was a Jan 6th white nationalist anti-Semite.

looks like at least one county in arizona is refusing to certify election results.

they'll likely be sued and forced to do so before the end of the day in court - but if for whatever reason the county's votes never certified it will actually end up helping democrats, as it's a majority red county... and losing all of those red votes could flip at least one congressional seat from red to blue.

self own to appease the orange leader.

Of course now Trump is throwing his buddy Kanye under the bus, because what else would

Trump do. And of course Trump had no idea that the "uninvited guest" was a Jan 6th white nationalist anti-Semite.

To be fair, I believe he had no clue that his “uninvited guest” was a Jan 6th white nationalist anti-Semite. Textbook narcissism is to not ask questions.

Oh for sure, that’s all post fact sprinkles saying he doesn’t know who he is. But especially post presidency, he probably has such little care or foresight to even ask who is coming. And I bet zero people around him are going to tell him no.

Better yet, ignore the height restrictions and crank the capital gains tax up through the roof (particularly on companies, but on individuals too). The “landlord” concept is most certainly the #1 cause for unaffordable housing in big cities and I bet it’s not even close.

USA Today

The Senate took an historic step Tuesday, passing legislation that would enshrine same-sex marriage rights into law and grant gay unions federal protection.

The vote to pass the Respect for Marriage Act was bipartisan – 61 to 36 – with a significant bloc of Republicans joining every Democrat in approving the landmark bill. It now heads to the House where it's expected to pass as early as next week

Two girls just getting together to talk about like fashion and stuff. Yes I know this isn't US politics, but the same sexist tropes exist in our politics. And when will we ever have a female President here?

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/30/1139862082/jacinda-ardern-sanna-marin-age-question

Liked the way both handled the ignoramus' question. Also, as I tend to be a stickler for these things, another example of how journalism has slipped these days, and nothing ever seems to get reviewed and edited anymore:

From the article:

...Ardern interjected with a smile, referencing the five-day age difference between the two leaders....

Neither Ardern, 42, nor Marin, 37, is a stranger to public attention on their ages.

Apple limited a crucial AirDrop function in China just weeks before protests
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/oth...-china-just-weeks-before-protests/ar-AA14JqkW

Protests in China have attracted international attention as the greatest challenge of President Xi Jinping's premiership and a major knock to the Chinese Communist Party's (CCP) longstanding authority.

But their spread within China was partially hobbled by a key change in Apple's AirDrop feature, launched just weeks before the unrest.

AirDrop, which allows users to share content between Apple devices, has become an important tool in protestors' efforts to circumvent authoritarian censorship regimes over recent years.

That is because it relies on wireless connections between phones, rather than internet connectivity, placing it beyond the scope of internet content moderators. It uses Bluetooth to form a peer-to-peer Wi-Fi network between two devices.

The tool was used widely during Hong Kong's 2019 pro-democracy protests, when demonstrators would share messages and protest literature with passers by and visitors from mainland China through AirDrop's open network.

....The change was first noticed by Chinese readers of fan site 9to5Mac, as reported by Quartz, and doesn't currently apply to iPhone users in other countries.

According to Bloomberg, Apple plans to make the update a global feature next year.

....Meantime, Apple has a history of adapting its products and services to conform with China's strict controls. Last year, the company excluded users in China from a new feature designed to give users more privacy when browsing the web. Meanwhile, in 2017, Apple pulled several virtual private network (VPN) services from the local version of its App Store in China.

China accounts for a growing portion of Apple's consumer market, with iPhones accounting for 16% of the total smartphone shipments in China last quarter, up from 11% a year ago, according to Canalys data.

'The change was first noticed by Chinese readers of fan site 9to5Mac, as reported by Quartz, and doesn't currently apply to iPhone users in other countries.
According to Bloomberg, Apple plans to make the update a global feature next year.'

Some brave folks in China are trying to speak up.
Is there anything to this Apple story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom