U2 in Vegas - Tips for booking hotels, flights and other Vegasy type things.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Booked all my flights, including 46kg of checked luggage for the international flights, for just $1,873 :hyper: flying Alaska Airlines from SLC to Seattle and Portland to LA and will need to pay US$30 for checked luggage for each of those flights, so an extra $90 at current exchange rates, that's pretty damn good, considering two pages ago I was looking at $2,500. Both interstate flights are direct, the flight home has one small, short changeover and the flight there has one medium-ish changeover. Gonna fly over on the 14th October now, which gives me more time in LA to do stuff and see friends, and more flexibility with the drive to Vegas.

Any tips on booking cars? Do now or when I'm there? I'll be very happy with something small. And then just to book some accomodation!

I'd probably look for the cars now, a lot of rental places still haven't replaced all the cars they sold off during covid, so there just aren't as many available. (I only know this is the case in Minneapolis, could be different in LA, etc)

and keep in mind that every time you pick up a rental car at one location and drop it off at a different location, there's a pretty hefty surcharge. the last time i picked up a car in vegas and dropped it off at LAX they charged me an extra $100.

and keep in mind that every time you pick up a rental car at one location and drop it off at a different location, there's a pretty hefty surcharge. the last time i picked up a car in vegas and dropped it off at LAX they charged me an extra $100.

Really?!?! :sad: that's fucked up, I'll be doing that three times :scream:

yeah. i learned about that fee the hard way the first time i drove a rental car, from boston to NYC in a blizzard to meet up with some yahoos i knew from an online forum.

if you book the car for those 3 legs separately you'll definitely get charged that fee 3 times.

i think your only hope to avoid paying that triple charge might be to choose one particular rental company, call their reservations line and speak to a human. describe your trip to them and ask them, if you book all 3 rentals with them on that call, if you could get a bit of a break on the extra fees.

if you're friendly with the representative and they're in a good mood there's a chance they might be able to adjust some of those fees. no guarantees though, of course. you might have to try a few calls with different rental car companies before you get someone willing who has the leeway to make those kind of changes.

in my experiences, enterprise has been the most generally customer-friendly company, at least at the LA and Vegas airports.

Last edited:
why-not-both-por-que-no-los-dos.gif

yeah. i learned about that fee the hard way the first time i drove a rental car, from boston to NYC in a blizzard to meet up with some yahoos i knew from an online forum.

if you book the car for those 3 legs separately you'll definitely get charged that fee 3 times.

i think your only hope to avoid paying that triple charge might be to choose one particular rental company, call their reservations line and speak to a human. describe your trip to them and ask them, if you book all 3 rentals with them on that call, if you could get a bit of a break on the extra fees.

if you're friendly with the representative and they're in a good mood there's a chance they might be able to adjust some of those fees. no guarantees though, of course. you might have to try a few calls with different rental car companies before you get someone willing who has the leeway to make those kind of changes.

in my experiences, enterprise has been the most generally customer-friendly company, at least at the LA and Vegas airports.

Some rental companies won’t charge a flat fee but instead will base that fee on miles traveled so in those cases it wouldn’t make a difference.

I'd probably look for the cars now, a lot of rental places still haven't replaced all the cars they sold off during covid, so there just aren't as many available. (I only know this is the case in Minneapolis, could be different in LA, etc)

It’s everywhere…. I had a wedding 2 weeks ago in New England and flying into Boston they wanted nearly $250 a day for a VW Jetta…. :down:

That's why I like to use Turo these days. In LA was able to rent an Alfa Romeo for 4 days for $350 bucks including all fees and such.

Damn. Did you like it? I can never decide whether I think those cars are good-looking or not. It's the weird triangular grille.

Damn. Did you like it? I can never decide whether I think those cars are good-looking or not. It's the weird triangular grille.

Decided not to rent a car at all - bused to Maine and then begged/bribed family members for rides when we needed them. For the brief time we were there (~ 55 hours ) the cost was going to be almost $700. I’m not cheap but that is fucking stupid.

For the brief time we were there (~ 55 hours ) the cost was going to be almost $700. I’m not cheap but that is fucking stupid.

That is insane.

I just booked car for our upcoming vacation in Cali. 8 days for $250 plus taxes & fees, total of $339.00 renting at Long Beach Airport.

Back
Top Bottom