The All Purpose College Football Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aaaand for the second week in a row, we get jumped in the AP by a team on bye week.

Seems to me like we have the glass ceiling located.

I can appreciate that we are in a reasonable ranking and tbh I do think despite a shellacking, we are in the same conversation as Ohio State.

For the record, we started a QB for the first time in his career yesterday. We played a nobody ECU team, sure, but we had no problem benching a Heisman quality QB and still winning by 4 scores.

So sure, Florida and UCF might be of similar comparison in terms of quality. You can make whatever SOS argument you want. We played a pathetic team, and we handedly defeated them offensively and defensively. That’s what good teams do to bad teams.

What did we do to get jumped by a team that didn’t even play... I’m not sure.

That's more how I feel, I get the SoS argument, it's the team on bye jumping that pisses me off.

With 6 and 9 losing and Oklahoma having a power 5 bye, which other team moved into the #9 spot

/bittersarcasm

Last edited:
Finally, except the half serious joke came true.

Say what you want about a team passing us while they’re on bye and we play. That’s some bs, sure. But you can dig oh so deep to make argumentative points (UCF’s SoS rank may have dropped for playing ECU while Florida’s absolute SoS may have raised by virtue of former opponents winning and wallah, relatively you can make 3D chess).

But seriously, Ohio State’s Power 5 BYE was deemed, by the voters, better than our Group of 5 BYE.

Neither team played and Ohio State’s SoS went down after the team that dreamed it lost, meanwhile UCF’s SoS went up after Pitt knocked off a good team.

Whaddayado except keep winning?

Oh I’m mad but I’m not surprised.

Well. I’m a little surprised about Florida being ahead. That’s more than doubling down. That’s a middle finger, and my money says that bit was done intentionally.

Whatever. At this rate, we are playing for a right to sue if you ask me. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it’s not even like they’re faking the inclusion by putting us close but no cigar. They’re legit disregarding is as simply not in the conversation regardless of what we do - and ultimately what that’s saying is there is zero chance specific teams who do not belong to a non-ncaa sanctioned entity known as the “power 5” are eligible to play in an ncaa-wide event worth dozens of millions of dollars.

Still something worth playing for. Play to make change happen.

We’ve become mega pariahs on Twitter. It’s crazy. It’s like everyone is watching the game cheering for UCF to lose [emoji23][emoji23] you see random “experts” who didn’t watch a game last year saying the huge difference is UCF’s defense is missing Shaq Griffin. Shaq was great but they’re only saying this because people have heard his story.

UCF’s defense was *awful* last year. They’re better this year, and but maybe not as good at generating turnovers.

UCF’s offense this year is not nearly as fast or as impressive. I can’t tell you exactly why. We did lose our star WR in trequan smith. But honestly not much else. Maybe the change in coaching? I don’t know.

We don’t look as good. We still look good. It’s definitely not the defense — they’ve always been bad. But we’ve shown that a #1 offense doesn’t need their defense to do much aside from not stay on the field too long.

CFP Committee mental gymnastics:

Ohio State is losing at half to 2-6 Nebraska and this shows how much of a loss Scott Frost was to UCF; Ohio State is very good.

Ohio State has played only two games against teams over .500. Michigan State (6-5) and Penn State (8-3). They’ve also been absolutely walloped by a 5-6 Purdue team, required a 4th quarter comeback to defeat 4-7 Nebraska, and were lucky that 5-6 Maryland botched a play in OT going for 2 for the win to earn their most recent victory.

Strength of schedule tho

The more you look back at their game against us, as well, the worst it looks. It was close until it wasn't.

100%, that was a late breakaway.

Also the narrative of UCF having a had nominal unweighted SoS is falling apart. They’ve played some really bad teams, but now have victories over I think 3 7-4 teams and a 9-2 team.

Down goes McKenzie Milton’s leg, down goes our star, and down goes our odds of making change to the status quo.

Hopefully he’s okay but assuming that’s his season done, we will need an amazing game on defense to win our conference, and a miracle to win whatever bowl game we end up in.

Ho-lee shit. Didn't see that coming.

Here are my three scenarios I now see happening:

Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Oklahoma: Oklahoma beats Texas, Alabama beats Georgia

Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, OSU: Oklahoma loses to Texas, Alabama beats Georgia, OSU beats Northwestern

Clemson, Notre Dame, Georgia, Alabama: Georgia beats Alabama, nothing else matters.

Scenario 3 is the worst possible outcome.

Back
Top Bottom