Shuttlecock XXV: Cool Hats Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you guys like Coldplay? I wonder when the next Coldplay album will come out?

The new lyrics to Beautiful Day in the "see the world in green and blue" section are absolutely fucking atrocious

This is well over a decade now that U2 has been responding to the panicked idea that their songs are too hard for people to cover. I really hate this.

I'm going to do a full, 2006-style COBL_04 review of Songs of Surrender tomorrow (going through each track and giving it a score out of 10), but I'd like to get everyone excited ahead of that review by saying holy fucking shit this is comfortably the worst thing U2 have ever released. Can't wait to spend like $5,000 flying out to Vegas only for them to play all the songs in this style.

Yeah, we already know Vegas shows are going to be Achtung Baby themed. They won't be acoustic shows. There may (likely will) be a small B stage style interlude with a few songs in SOS style but that's it.

20 songs in and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. There are some very inspired moments throughout - the outro to Invisible comes to mind, as well as the arrangement on 11 O'Clock.

The standout for me so far is absolutely Dirty Day, though. I love the sparse arrangement, and the guitar tone on the main riff is intoxicating. It really goes to show how effective Bono can be using his voice as an accompaniment rather than the main draw - I really, really wish he would take that approach more frequently.

The straight acoustic versions are just kind of there. The guitar on Wild Horses sounds great, but not great enough to justify an un-embellished 5 minutes. Edge is generally more effective painting with atmospherics than he is as a riffer, which I guess is a consensus view anyways.

the tiny desk concert is fantastic, but it would have been even way better if they hadn't just played the first half of ATYCLB. what a weird choice of setlist.

The musical foundation of the reworked Stories for Boys evokes that early mysterious era of 1980-81 U2.

They definitely need to bring back more glockenspiel, weird pipes and the occasional trumpet

also, bono trying to give live directions to the choir when they clearly already had pre-rehearsed everything was awkward as hell.

I've not watched it yet, but what do people think of this new track that's in the doco?

I quite like it actually, it's understated, the guitar and treated piano is really nice, the drums support them well. I'd love to hear more stuff in this direction. I love the title. Only real downfall to me are the opening lines, when Bono tries to rhyme "man" with "island", far worse than ATM machine or PIN number.

Back
Top Bottom