Lights of Home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe they know us too well. "Let's put the poppy stuff out first , then when they hear the whole thing they'll be like 'hey, this is actually really good!'

It’s such an announcement song. It sets out their MO, and with Bono singing about how he should be dead — well, there’s the attention he’s always seeking.

Bono's near-death experience seems an integral part of this album's narrative. It's a compelling narrative.

Anyway, I think the song that Lights of Home most reminds me of is Gone. Of course, it's less acidic and has a hopeful ending.

I love the song, but am I the only one getting whiplash from the clunky beginning? The sampled riff seems to set up one rhythm and then once the verse starts it kind of shimmies awkwardly into another. The rest of the song is sublime though...

Didn't see it as a highlight at first, but it's really grown on me once I've dug into the lyrics. I mean, that first verse.

"Shouldn't be here 'cause I should be dead
I can see the lights in front of me
I believe my best days are ahead
I can see the lights in front of me
Oh Jesus if I'm still your friend
What the hell
What the hell you got for me
I gotta get out from under my bed
I can see again the lights in front of me"

Two-syllable day-um. Moments like this where I know for sure that the whole "brush with mortality" thing was the real deal.

It's got that trending folk rock-ish vibe, I think. Probably another reason it would make a good single.

The album version is a little too bland for my tastes, but the string version is fantastic. It feels much more natural coming out of Love Is All We Have Left, plus its just overall much more dynamic, interesting and unique. Reminds me of Radioheads Burn the Witch. How great is that moment when the rhythm section kicks in towards the end?

The best part is that unlike TBT remix, the production aesthetic of this is identical to the rest of the album, too! It doesnt feel out of place played alongside the other songs, so it fits seamlessly into any playlist i want it to :D

My new favorite tonight... I love the theme. How his near death experience woke him up to what's in front of him

My rankings seem to change with each listen, but after #4, this one is my favorite.

Let's see where it ranks tomorrow!

Solid song, but it should never, ever be a single. Would go absolutely nowhere on the radio.

Hello everyone! The debate continues between the album version and string version. I happen to love both. The string one seems to flow better from Love is All, and the album version has a little more stripped down punch in the drums through the middle of the song, and of course the riff.

So I did a couple of mixes that might bridge the gap for anyone who is interested.

First is the Lights of Home (Womanfish String Heavy Mix) This one starts with just the string version and has the album version enter midway and then end with a string heavy mix towards the end.

The second is the Lights of Home (Womanfish - String Hybrid Mix)
This one starts with a combo of the album and string version, and then is the same as the mix above after that.

Hope you guys like it. Let me know what you think.

Here is the link:

https://spectrio.egnyte.com/fl/uPFXJNRKE3

Hello everyone! The debate continues between the album version and string version. I happen to love both. The string one seems to flow better from Love is All, and the album version has a little more stripped down punch in the drums through the middle of the song, and of course the riff.

So I did a couple of mixes that might bridge the gap for anyone who is interested.

First is the Lights of Home (Womanfish String Heavy Mix) This one starts with just the string version and has the album version enter midway and then end with a string heavy mix towards the end.

The second is the Lights of Home (Womanfish - String Hybrid Mix)
This one starts with a combo of the album and string version, and then is the same as the mix above after that.

Hope you guys like it. Let me know what you think.

Here is the link:

https://spectrio.egnyte.com/fl/uPFXJNRKE3
Does it flow better, though?

A spacy intro and them boom... let's lock this fucker off.

Reminds me a little of the opening of Ten, with Master/Slave leading into Once.

Does it flow better, though?

A spacy intro and them boom... let's lock this fucker off.

Reminds me a little of the opening of Ten, with Master/Slave leading into Once.

Good point. I have done that same technique when i make my best of compilations for the year. Start out with something slow and delicate and then BAM!

This is just to give some choices to people who might really like both versions, and want something a little different.

Still can’t get into this one. Reminds me a bit of Cedarwood Road, which I thought was the worst on SOI. I certainly think this is better than Cedar however. Right now, this is my least favorite song on the album, but that’s not saying much — because I love most of it.

Solid song, but it should never, ever be a single. Would go absolutely nowhere on the radio.

I mostly agree. Summer of Love is the true single material on this album, it's super contemporary and catchy, but it feels more effortless in that than The Best Thing and GOOYOW.

I mostly agree. Summer of Love is the true single material on this album, it's super contemporary and catchy, but it feels more effortless in that than The Best Thing and GOOYOW.

Summer of Love could definitely be a single, along with Red Flag Day and Love is Bigger.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/50-best-songs-of-2017-w512456/cardi-b-bodak-yellow-w512461

#5 on the list....odd choice imo but cool

Good point. I have done that same technique when i make my best of compilations for the year. Start out with something slow and delicate and then BAM!

This is just to give some choices to people who might really like both versions, and want something a little different.

Any chance you can cut the outro (free yourself / be yourself) and paste it as an intro (instead) on either of these mixes (both of which I like - the strings add urgency!) It really lets the steam out of the song for me and would end much stronger that way. 3:09 or so should be the end in my mind.

Are you taking requests? Am I asking too much?!

You know what, don't even worry about it. I hope you didn't find the request presumptuous. I'm just gonna open up Audacity and lop that sucker off.

Any chance you can cut the outro (free yourself / be yourself) and paste it as an intro (instead) on either of these mixes (both of which I like - the strings add urgency!) It really lets the steam out of the song for me and would end much stronger that way. 3:09 or so should be the end in my mind.

Are you taking requests? Am I asking too much?!

I don't mind requests... But i'm not quite sure what you mean? Take the ending "choral" section and make it an intro?

I tried cutting off the entire ending, but had trouble finding a decent section to use for a proper ending...

I'll take another look.

I don't mind requests... But i'm not quite sure what you mean? Take the ending "choral" section and make it an intro?

I tried cutting off the entire ending, but had trouble finding a decent section to use for a proper ending...

I'll take another look.

Yea, or even dump it altogether. Not sure how it would sound as an intro but it would have to be better than as an outro.

3:11 would be the cutoff...immediately before the drums kick back in...the strings might just need a quick fade?

Last edited:
I really like this one. The first part of it kinda sounds like something The Killers might have put on Sam's Town, which I think was their best album.

If I could tweak it, I'd have Larry add a longer fill before the outro - something on the order of the stop-and-start fill before the outro of Peter Gabriel's "Lay Your Hands On Me" - and then extend the outro. That last part is just too good to be so short.

If I were playing this song live with my band, the ending would be twice as long, with a vocal countermelody added halfway, and either an extended guitar solo, or some "hear me coming, lord"-style ad-libbing. This song thirsts for vamping. And, let the audience really get into singing along with it before it ends, because it feels good. It will be interesting to see how they play it out live.

Back
Top Bottom