Desert Island XI - QUARANTINE ISLAND - Group 1 Listening Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Righto, time to spin a playlist while I edit an article this afternoon. Up first: pfan, and man, Cobbs set me up for the first track to be far worse. It's just ancient, and it transitions well into the second track.

Probably no surprise the first portion of the list generally did not do much for me. Of the hiphop tracks, I most enjoyed The Roots, and the Meek Mill song got better as it went along. I also found "Wolfman Jack" hella cheesy, and Sheer Mag isn't really my thing either. All of that said, I thought this was put together well.

I felt like the shift to Beach Slang was a bit abrupt but also I'm totally keen to get into this section, and this is a solid tune. Funnily enough I gave the relevant Beach Slang album a poor rating on RYM but maybe I should revisit it. I fucking love the Balance & Composure track, and the whole album it's from; "Hear You" is also excellent. Most of the emo/emo-adjacent artists from Beach Slang through to Modern Baseball are bands I've seen in concert supporting/co-headlining other acts I'm really into, but never listened to much themselves. So this was a fun reminder of some stuff I hadn't heard for a while.

Turns out Tim Heidecker does not at all do what I thought. I'd assumed this would be electronic or ambient. Would've preferred that, to be honest. I kinda wandered off a bit around this point in the list but Purling Hiss really stood out and brought me back in. I'd swear I'd listened to them before but RYM suggests not enough to rate anything, and this track encourages me to listen more.

Didn't think I'd dig the Kurt Vile track much but it's pretty neat really. The whole run from Purling Hiss to The War on Drugs has been enjoyable - standouts include Beach House (almost my favourite song on Bloom) and Queen of Jeans. I'd have concluded the whole list with The War on Drugs tbh. "An Ocean..." builds so, so well and it would be an emphatic full stop on the list. I didn't find the last three tracks particularly memorable so that sorta solidified that view.

Anyway - some passages I quite enjoyed, some stuff I didn't dig, generally put together well and I certainly hadn't realised how many of these artists are associated with Philly. It won't surprise me if this list does well.

Axver, work has not been kind to me tonight. I tried to listen to your list. I have a feeling it's going to have to wait until tomorrow now :( But this Woodes track is fire.

That's a tune I'm really hoping people latch onto. Woodes is an amazing artist - she does great visual/fashion presentation live too. "Dots" and "Run for It" are two other really big favourites of mine.

Well that just kinda hard stopped right into a nightmare alright.

Seems I might've achieved my goal :lol:

Maybe because there's an ambient/experimental/electronic artist by the name of Tim Hecker.

Ha I was caught out by the same thing, it did make me go back and listen to Tim Hecker before bed last night though!

Lemel! Lemel lemel lemel. my thoughts. a great list! truly. very well put together and sequenced, which is not surprising. really enjoyed it being female-heavy, too. I didn't really find the mood to be a downer in any way shape or form, I'd say it lifted my spirits.

it was an exceptional start, I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed it through til Slide. Joga is prob my favourite Homogenic song, Empire Ants stands the test of time (seriously, what a song), and Loud Places is mesmerising. I loved the Sandy Alex G track, enjoyed him?her? on Peef's list too so will need to look into. the list kinda lost me for a solid quarter hour or so around Slide though... for me it just went a bit generic pop... and I know there's a lot of hella popular artists in there and it's kind of sacrilegious ... Carly Rae, Robyn etc but I my interest kinda dropped off a bit. There's a LOT of that sort of music around and I guess I just really need something special for it to stick in my mind.

Endless Summer brought me racing back in, an absolute belter, and really enjoyed that Jay Som track too, The Beths track stood out, and I was a big fan of the Rocketship track for sure! Some real This Modern Love/So Here We Are vibes. Beach Boys after Beach House worked so well, I genuinely thought it was another Beach House track for a second.

That Weyes Blood song is nice. Sister obviously owns. This is where the playlist started to started to pick up again for me, after a nice but not outstanding period.

I loved the ending of Hot Dreams... those horns are magic, but that fucking opening line kinda threw me off and I dunno, it just felt all a bit too... on the creepy side of romantic. But the last minute or so rules.

Liked Erica America, not quite sure how to describe it... it was beguiling. Didn't sound like much music I've heard. Reminded me a little of "Laura", at least lyrically. Absolutely loved Jody, what a great song! Has a REAL Steely Dan vibe to it imo, that chorus is straight out of the Becker/Hagen book. I would be interested to know more about this song/artist. Horns great.

Lambchop really interest me but I've never really been able to stick to their music for some reason. A few nice tracks soul tracks and then was really impressed by the Fiona Apple song. If I think back I reckon I tried to listen to Idler Wheel and found it impenetrable, which is not unsurprising given how old I was and where my tastes where at the time. And a fantastic closer.

You did a great job, I won't listen to the whole thing again, but I will definitely revisit some parts, the first quarter in particular. Some great choices that nail the thematic (particularly the last two, really well done), and a lot of great stuff for me to follow up on.

Thanks, man. I appreciate the kind words. I really do put my all into these lists and it's great to hear that all the effort led to a smooth listening experience with some replay value.

If you liked Jody, listen to her album Been Around from earlier this year. Ashley introduced me to the album with Jody and it's my second favorite of the year behind Fiona's new one. There's a fairly wide range of sound on tap, but it never strays too far from Jody's slick veneer and undeniable catchiness.

I think it's cool that different sections of my list are really hitting for some people and not so much for others. You weren't so into the pop section but Tourist loved it, while gump wasn't into the opening stretch as much but you loved it. Making a DI list that's going to work for someone all the way through is almost impossible unless you stick with one sound, and then you necessarily risk alienating someone else entirely. It's a careful balance and one of the most engaging challenges of the competition.

Also, that Beach Boys track is from 1970 and manages to sound like something from almost 40 years later from a genre that hadn't been established yet. I think that's crazy and I had been wanting to use it on a list for a while. People overlook the post-Smile period but it was extremely influential.

Last edited:
Listening to LM's list now. As expected, the flow is sublime, but that transition between Alex G and Shura especially was smooth as silk.

Laz's list:

Prince is a hot start to any playlist.
I've always judged John Mellencamp as cheesy/lame but this is a good song.
The vocals (especially in the chorus) of this Rickie Lee Jones song remind me of the vocals of THE COFF! and Angel Deradoorian in some of those older Dirty Projectors albums. Dig it.
The Sinead O'Connor song is a standout so far. She's such a visceral artist.
I love Gaga but this is a strange choice from her, I feel like this is an example of a song on her debut where it's clear she hadn't even really found her voice yet. This track is kind of indistinguishable and barely even recognizable as the Gaga we know and love. IMO.
Had never heard this Bowie song but it's a strong way to end the first half of the playlist.
Slaughter & The Dogs -> Nikki and the Corvettes is a very cool one-two punch of old school punk artists that I didn't know existed. I'll remember these two. I've always had a thing for the name Nikki.
The Shudder to Think/Liz Phair song is another standout for me. I've always wanted to dive into the discographies of both these artists but haven't gotten around to it yet.
The I Don't Cares is a damn good band name and the Jayhawks are a damn good band that I haven't heard in forever.
This particular Van Halen track is a fun surprise.
THE DYL! Love this track, a Dylan-fanatic friend of mine introduced me to it just a few years ago.
Francoise Hardy is incredibly sexy.
Great pick from The Mollusk. It's the only Ween album I've heard in full.
I've got a fever...and the only prescription...is this Blue Oyster Cult song being like two minutes shorter than it is.
Laz's friends Deap Vally. This is a fucking cool modern rock band. She's got some Karen O in those vocals.
New Order is so good at constructing melodies that feel timeless, at least to me. I'd never heard this one before.

Good shit.

Tindersticks. [emoji813]

Seems like every National song should owe royalties to that band.
Right? They don't get nearly enough credit for what they brought to indie rock and slowcore in the early 90s.

Also, I'm glad you weren't creeped out, or at least creeped on in a good way by a band with an album called Creep on Creepin' On.

Nah I've been a fan of Timber Timbre since the Hot Dreams album.

The Tindersticks album from last year was damn good as well.

So, LM's list as a whole. As will surprise no one, the thing is impeccably sequenced and flows really well. I generally have an attention span for any kind of media of about one hour - I usually have to split movies into two sections - but this one moved like it was much shorter than its actual runtime. I was grading for most of the first half, which is something that really drains me - the energy in the tracks really kept me moving, though, as they had just the right balance of beats and ambience.

Great balance of familiar acts with some more obscure ones as well - from the latter category, I made notes to check out Broadcast and St Etienne. Jessie Ware I think is still somewhat obscure, though I've been a big fan for years - it's awesome she turned up here and hopefully the track gets people's attention.

The section beginning with Dusty Springfield was my favorite - the little run of soul/stax tracks toward the end. I could have listened to an entire playlist of that style alone. It's remarkable when you look at where the playlist starts versus where it arrives and that it managed to make that progression so naturally.

:up: Thanks a bunch, iYup.

The section beginning with Dusty Springfield was my favorite - the little run of soul/stax tracks toward the end. I could have listened to an entire playlist of that style alone.

That can be arranged.

It might be cool to share some leftover playlist material in the results thread.

So onto LM's playlist. Again lots of music I love from artists I love. I do personally favour shorter playlists (though its a bit much of a muchness comparing 1 hr 40 odd with 2 hr 30, both are pretty long), it was hard to get through it in one sitting without interruptions cropping up etc

The start is great, as I began listening I was racking my brain try to work out where I had heard Susanne Sundfor before as her voice sounded very familiar then I realised it was from the Oblivion film soundtrack done by your guy from M83, its the track that plays over the credits to the film. Great OST btw, I think most like M83 around these parts, worth a listen.

Joga down to Running all brilliant. Jessie Ware is pretty well known in the UK well I guess at least amongst my musical friends ever since the SBTRKT albums she gets some very well deserved press around these parts. The flow is brilliant and it was off to a very sonically cool start.

I only got into Alex G with the House of Sugar last year so it was good to hear an earlier track indicating I need to dig deeper into the back catalogue.

The joint effort of Charli XCX and Christine and the Queens was one of my highlights of last year (it is also a very hot video) and in my mind they are two of the best musicians out there at the moment. Well crafted artistic pop is something we all need more of and I thoroughly enjoyed the run through Carly Rae, Robyn and Grimes.

The flow of the playlist was impeccable throughout, however this did lead to the feeling of zoning out slightly after the halfway mark. Again many of the tracks were from some my current favourite artists but it did start to blend just a bit too well.

Tindersticks I need to look more into, I see what you guys were referring to in regards the National, Matt Berninger might want to send some royalties their way!

Latter half highlights for me were also The Beths, Kero Kero Benito, Timber Timbre and A Girl Called Eddy, all groups I need to peruse a bit more.

I thought the end section of the playlist was very classy and my ears perked up again at this point with Dusty, Dionne and the Ronettes. It was very cool and lastly Exile Vilify was a great closer.

I very much enjoyed the transition from the sonically full and epic start to the modern poppy middle to the more general indie rock and the classic pop/soulful end.

Last edited:
I finished LM’s this morning but did not get a chance to post my thoughts on the second half.

I really enjoyed the Rocketship song. Great stuff. Will want to check out the whole album. It made me think of Stars and some MBV too.

The sequence from Beach House through Angel Olsen didn’t disappoint. It’s silly at this point to say how great Sister is, probably one of my favorite songs of the last 5 years.

Really like the “Tennessee” duo too. I had never heard of Lambchop. Cool little song, I liked the lyrics in particular (“it just looks so cold here from the bottom”). Dusty in Memphis is an insanely good album, and kind of overlooked. A bit sugary, but I go back to it all the time.

Fun transition into Dionne Warwick and The Ronnettes given Dusty’s role in taking Motown to the UK.

Did you pick a Fiona Apple song before the release of Fetch the Bolt Cutters? Werewolf is great, and I like that you use it’s lyric in the title of the playlist.

The “does it feel like a trial” lyric in Exile Vilify hits home.

Nothing wrong when a song ends in a minor key.

Great stuff, LM. Incredibly consistent as I expected, and I love the mood you went for. It lost me perhaps for a couple of songs in the middle of the first half, but the second half captured me with the ever so slight mood changes and more variety in styles. Also loved that your list was predominantly made of female artists.

@LJT - If you're interested in Alex G and liked House of Sugar, I suggest working backwards into his more lofi work. Rocket is an incredible record and primer for his older work while also offering some very experimental sounds. I love his music.

@gump - Yes, I had Werewolf in mind as my Fiona Apple pick before Bolt Cutters came out. In fact, it's been paired with Exile Vilify at the end of this list since 2017, back when it had a lengthy 90s indie rock section. When I listened to the list in full before doing my formal entry, I was deeply moved by the connections those two songs held with our present circumstances. That's when I noticed the lyric in Werewolf that became the playlist's title; its application to social distancing was eerie and affecting.

Thanks for the great commentary, guys!

LeMel's playlist:

This Susanne Sundfor person sounds like Bjork so it's probably going to fit well with the next artist on the list, who happens to be Bjork. Yup. It does. These first four songs are a great fit and a fun start. That Phantogram song is a hit and then Plastic Beach is such a cool album.
I don't ever want to have anything to do with Calvin Harris, sorry. He sucks.
Charli -> Carly -> Robyn is cool. The latter reminds me of a relationship that didn't work out, but it still might be my favorite Robyn song.
Saw Alvvays live a while back, kinda forgot about them. Catchy young band.
The Beths is my favorite song on the list so far that I'd never heard before. I like this a lot.
Wait...actually this Tindersticks song might be my favorite song on the list that I'd never heard before.
Broadcast are so good...but it's so sad about their singer. She died way too young.
Beach House -> Beach Boys...that's the kind of band name sequencing I dig, even if it wasn't intentional.
This Angel Olsen song is killer.
And this Dusty Springfield song is gorgeous.
The Ronettes make me think of Christmas.
And...wow. "Werewolf" -> "Exile/Vilify" is a stunning and very satisfying closing duo. Nothing wrong when a song ends in a minor key.

Good shit.

Last edited:
So, Laz's list overall. Very eclectic as you would expect from him, with a lot of surprising choices that end up working really well (e.g. Ace Frehley, Van Halen, Neil Diamond). I liked that those showed sides of artists that you would not normally associate with them. The Dylan selection was also a mega-deep cut. There were a lot of tracks here I would never have come across via my usual listening habits but ended up enjoying - Throwing Muses is an example. And I have to check out that Ween album right away.

Thank you for all the comments. I definitely wanted to dispel some assumptions about certain artists. While I wouldn't call myself a major fan of any, they're often more eclectic than given credit for.

Re: Ween, proceed with caution because these guys have their tongues firmly planted in their cheeks most of the time, and they tend to jump from style to style and genre to genre even within the same album. It's hard to know when they're taking the piss or what. But they're brilliant musicians and songwriters and you should have a lot of fun exploring. The Mollusk is regarded as one of their better albums. Note that Peef just used their song "Freedom of '76" on his list (though I already used it on my last one a few years ago!) and it couldn't be more different.

Oh I forgot to mention the guitar work on the Penguin track is so awesomely reminiscent of Built to Spill.

Glad you liked that one! It was used at the end of a Thai film that was a big arthouse favorite, and I had to hunt it down. Oddly enough, it reminded me of The Bends-era Radiohead more than anything else.

Laz's list:

Prince is a hot start to any playlist.
I've always judged John Mellencamp as cheesy/lame but this is a good song.
The vocals (especially in the chorus) of this Rickie Lee Jones song remind me of the vocals of THE COFF! and Angel Deradoorian in some of those older Dirty Projectors albums. Dig it.
The Sinead O'Connor song is a standout so far. She's such a visceral artist.
I love Gaga but this is a strange choice from her, I feel like this is an example of a song on her debut where it's clear she hadn't even really found her voice yet. This track is kind of indistinguishable and barely even recognizable as the Gaga we know and love. IMO.
Had never heard this Bowie song but it's a strong way to end the first half of the playlist.
Slaughter & The Dogs -> Nikki and the Corvettes is a very cool one-two punch of old school punk artists that I didn't know existed. I'll remember these two. I've always had a thing for the name Nikki.
The Shudder to Think/Liz Phair song is another standout for me. I've always wanted to dive into the discographies of both these artists but haven't gotten around to it yet.
The I Don't Cares is a damn good band name and the Jayhawks are a damn good band that I haven't heard in forever.
This particular Van Halen track is a fun surprise.
THE DYL! Love this track, a Dylan-fanatic friend of mine introduced me to it just a few years ago.
Francoise Hardy is incredibly sexy.
Great pick from The Mollusk. It's the only Ween album I've heard in full.
I've got a fever...and the only prescription...is this Blue Oyster Cult song being like two minutes shorter than it is.
Laz's friends Deap Vally. This is a fucking cool modern rock band. She's got some Karen O in those vocals.
New Order is so good at constructing melodies that feel timeless, at least to me. I'd never heard this one before.

Good shit.

Thanks, bud. Re: the Gaga, I'm a fairly recent convert, and the first time I heard The Fame that was the one that jumped out. I know it's not her best songwriting but I think it's a major bop and I've read it being compared to Blondie in various places.

Shudder to Think can be an acquired taste due to lead vocalist Craig Wedren's vibrato, but they're very talented musicians and carved out a distinct space in 90s rock. Pony Express Record is considered their best, but it's definitely "difficult". Their final album 10,000 BC is really polished and dismissed by longtime fans but it was my intro and it's a gorgeous album, very accessible. The song I used here was from the soundtrack to a film called First Love, Last Rites, where the main character is often listening to oldies on the radio. The producers couldn't afford to license pop hits, so Shudder to Think were asked to compose and record songs from different styles/eras. They brought on guest vocalists for most of the tracks and sang a few themselves. The other contributors include Jeff Buckley, Billy Corgan, Robin Zander from Cheap Trick, John Doe from X, Nina Persson from The Cardigans, Lena Karlsson from Komeda, and Matt Johnson from The The. Worth hearing for sure.

As for Liz Phair, you can't go wrong with the first three, all brilliant. Exile in Guyville might be harder to appreciate without the context of the early 90s Chicago scene and her place in it, and it's pretty stripped down, so you might fare better by starting with the follow-up Whip-Smart. But she's one of the best songwriters of the decade.

The Deap Vally song was actually produced (and maybe co-written?) with Nick Zinner from Yeah Yeah Yeahs so you are right on the money with that one.

As for my own listening, I'm already through DaveC's, El Mel's, and Dunk's (I'm going in order).

I don't have a song-specific commentary yet because I listened to all these while I was lounging in the kiddie pool in my backyard the last couple days, and was trying to just enjoy the experience rather than continually checking to see what/who was playing. Sorry if I'm "doing it wrong" but I do plan on giving each another listen to sort out who played what and what I'd like to explore more. But here are some general comments:

DaveC: so it's been mentioned already that this one is a bit shuffle-y and bouncing around, it didn't bother me at all because of the strength of the song choices. This was pretty much split down the middle between songs/artists I knew well, and those from artists I had never listened to at all before, even a veteran like Bruce Cockburn and The Tragically Hip, believe it or not. But yeah this was kind of perfect one to start with for my solo pool party, instead of plunging me into something more homogenic or heavy. And bonus points for including something off Obscured By Clouds.

El Mel: This is the one that probably would have benefitted from more of an indoor/focused listen. I consider you a connoisseur but also a scientist, carefully measuring out these sonic potions and strategically deciding how to mix one with the other. You're an expert at flow and structure and it definitely felt like a distinct journey. Songs that I knew took on new contexts, and I do remember one time I felt compelled to go over and check the phone to see what was playing and it was Jay Som, so I'll definitely be filing that away for the future. A mammoth playlist in size, and like I said, more comments to come.

Peef: I'm not familiar enough with your DI history so I can't say something like "you've truly outdone yourself" but this was a memorable tour through your city, and the personal nature of portraying something you identify with so strongly through music made this a more resonating listen. Granted, a lot of my initial reactions consisted of "Hmph, I didn't realize they were from Philly!" but there were pleasures beyond those shocks. I had already read comments here about the Tim Heidecker song, and it still surprised me. I think this had the most songs I already knew out of the lists I've heard so far, but I don't mean that in a negative way at all. There were still a fair number of artists I didn't know that I'd like to check out further.

Next up is Axver, and then a second listen of everything before the next group.

Listened to Laz's list yesterday.

On the whole, I thought you did a great job maintaining mood and cohesiveness in each of the parts. All of the songs fit together like a tapestry.

This list will be a top contender for 'most songs I didn't know', seeing as I didn't know a single one of them - even the Bowie track, and I have a pretty good knowledge of his catalogue.

I'll comment on some of my favorite discoveries/other thoughts I had...

I do not think all that highly of Kiss outside of a few tracks, so I wasn't expecting too much from the Ace Frehley track, but what do you know, I dug it, it has a great groove...pun intended. I guess it's from 1978, but it sounds more 80s to me. I'll assume it's not a coincidence that you put it right before Mellencamp, because there's something about it that sounds sort of like 80s Mellencamp to me.

Joni Mitchell is an artist who only seems to garner praise here, and artist whom I haven't explored nearly enough. I really don't know much of her stuff at all outside of a few of the biggest songs - Big Yellow Taxi, Woodstock, etc. I very much enjoyed her in the jazz element here. I take it this was atypical of her?

I know zip, nada, about Steely Dan, but I enjoyed this track. Probably not close to an original thought, but I was reminded a lot of Phish.

Sinead has one of the most captivating voices, and this track is no exception. I enjoyed it. Also thought it was vocally reminiscent of I'm Not Your Baby - not in terms of melody, just the sound/rhythm of her voice.

I'm a huge fan of Gaga in her more stripped-down mode - the Joanne album, A Star Is Born, her collaborations with Tony Bennett, etc - but less of a fan of her early pop stuff. I mean I still like it, but I've heard some of those singles too many times, and they're just so drenched in production that it makes her voice less unique. I didn't know this track though, and I actually enjoyed it much more than I was expecting. Nice, breezy, carefree tone to it. But, and maybe this just me, but I was getting a huge Tragic Kingdom-era Gwen Stefani vibe the whole time. Like it really felt like she was doing a (very good) Gwen impression. Liked it.

I liked the Tracey Thorn track. I'd never heard of her, ever, but I enjoyed this. She's got a very emotive voice. Sort of an Annie Lennox vibe.

Onto part 2...

Don't know anything about La Rocca, but this song "Sketches" is doing it for me. I'm not sure if that's an organ or something else, but it's reminding me of the Doors, and that's always a good thing for me.

King of America and Nothing Left To Borrow is one of the best 1-2 punches on the list imo. Enjoyed both of them a lot. Though, I'm wondering if anyone else noticed the melodic similarity between the chorus of Nothing Left To Borrow and that of Billy Joel's "Temptation"? They sound similar to me.

Actually, the whole stretch from King of America to Jesus & Mary Chain is probably my favorite stretch on the list.

I'm not too familiar with early Van Halen, but I've never heard them sound like that. Interesting.

I take it the Dylan track is an obscurity, but it's interesting as well.

Jesus & Mary Chain is an artist I always say I should dig deeper into and then I never do. I like this track a lot. Relaxing and brooding at the same time. Really has that late 80s/early 90s jangly alt rock sound.

I really liked "Buckingham Green". Mostly a guitar instrumental, and a good one too. Some of it, to me, bore a vague resemblance to Scorpion's "Wind Of Change", but that's ok because I like that song too. Good stuff.

The Blue Oyster Cult song is maybe the most purely catchy song on the list. Bopping my head along with it.

Also enjoyed the Prince & Bowie tracks, interesting new tastes of those icons.

Overall, a challenging list for me because I'm unfamiliar with so much of it, but it's very well put together and I discovered a handful of new tracks.

Avxer's have always been some of my favourite playlists having originally introduced me to Pure Reason Revolution.

About half of the songs I don't know which always excites me, you have always had a bit different listening habbit to most on Interference and its always led me to good places.

Out of the lists so far you have opened with a bit more of a slowburn, i'm not sure the Orbweavers track really grabbed me though as an opener.

That said Woodes onwards really picks up (I do also like Angel Olsen but she gets enough press). I need to look more into her.

From Come with Me down to Fulton Street I think has been my favourite section of music so far in this Desert Island, i've enjoyed the variety of it and how you have made it flow with your sequencing. Body/Prison is a great track and has inspired me to shove it onto one of my more industrialy playlists. To be honest there was too much good in it for me to pull out any particular song really and they are all artists I will be following up on, so thanks once again man!

Caspian and Fulton Street is the kind of music I associate you with in my head and it provided a wonderful change of pace in that section. I think it was the transition from Satsuna to Desire you said was kind of abrupt, to be honest I like the odd more harsh transition as it kind of wakes you up from being too zoned out while listening and re-engages you with active listening so it came at the right time for me, again both were tunes I very much liked.

Of the artists I knew you selected some I have really liked in recent years such as Purity Ring and Young Galaxy and I loved the final section of music and how it flowed, it was also the section I felt fit best with your overall story you outlined. I also thought it was pretty neat that you ended on a pacier, dynamic closer in comparison to your mellow opener. It was a good contrast.

It's definitely a playlist I will be perusing over again and again to go through all these new artists I've liked!

GAF's commentary convinces me that I should have labeled Slide as a Frank Ocean and Migos track for better results.

I don't have a song-specific commentary yet because I listened to all these while I was lounging in the kiddie pool in my backyard the last couple days, and was trying to just enjoy the experience rather than continually checking to see what/who was playing. Sorry if I'm "doing it wrong" but I do plan on giving each another listen to sort out who played what and what I'd like to explore more.
Laz floats in a kiddie pool in Toluca Lake...

"A connoisseur, but also a scientist" is going on my LinkedIn, thank you.

Last edited:
I heard Axver's list on Sunday and intend to do a write-up for it shortly but need to skim through the tracklisting one more time to reference individual tracks.

Currently listening to the beginning of Jerry Dunk's list. Actually loved the opener for what it was and thought the transition out of it was clever. Meek Mill doesn't interest me at all but Dreams and Nightmares is a classic. P2 is just a worse version of XO Tour Llif3 but I guess that still means it's decent.

Of the artists I knew you selected some I have really liked in recent years such as Purity Ring and Young Galaxy and I loved the final section of music and how it flowed, it was also the section I felt fit best with your overall story you outlined. I also thought it was pretty neat that you ended on a pacier, dynamic closer in comparison to your mellow opener. It was a good contrast.

It's definitely a playlist I will be perusing over again and again to go through all these new artists I've liked!

Awesome, thanks so much, I'm really glad you enjoyed it. :up:

Funny you should mention that final section, because I put those tracks together very quickly and meant to tweak it more. I worried it might be the weakest section, but every time I played the list I enjoyed it so I figured I'd submit as is. Glad I didn't overthink it now!

Back
Top Bottom