Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part V/Five

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone who ordered from Amazon Canada got a shipping update?

I ordered Uber Deluxe and the Vinyl Box and both still say "Not Shipped: Estimated Shipping Date - November 1".

:|

They are demos of the songs. They have been mixed this year, according to liner notes, and some people are saying they hear 2011 Bono vocals in some of the songs, but we cannot confirm this.

I think the demos are fairly close to what became the final songs. The lyrics are different, but you can hear what each song finally became. It's pretty cool.

ahhh... okay. that's what i first thought they were. in that case, yea.. a cool listen. but that's about it.

I just ran an errand and stopped in at Best Buy to check out the AB swag... here are a few packaging observations:

1) No uber deluxe at BB, just Super Deluxe ("on sale" for 129.99).
2) As others have noted, Super Deluxe is a heavy mother.
3) "Deluxe Edition"... maybe it's the type of cardboard they used, but the artwork looks slightly low-res and cheap to me. This packaging is definitely a huge step down from the packaging for the 2CD JT, UF, Boy, etc.
4) No track list at all on the back of the Deluxe Edition, just a sticker on the front saying "includes bonus disc with b-sides and rarities."
5) Standard edition: the artwork on this also looks slightly dark and low-res. It has a dark black tray card (exactly like HTDAAB) rather than a clear jewel case. But for the untrained eye, really the only thing that distinguishes this from the original is a sticker on the front stating "20th anniversary." I'm guessing the booklet might have some slightly different content, but who knows?

Want a good laugh? This is an actual review on iTunes right now. This is the album they creatively ran out of gas on? LMFAO!!!!!

ABreview.jpg

I ordered Uber Deluxe and the Vinyl Box and both still say "Not Shipped: Estimated Shipping Date - November 1".

Same with me (Uber, I'm Canadian, ordered from Amazon.ca). I will definitely post on here when mine is updated but same deal. I got the Priority shipping... so my estimate for delivery is Nov 3-4

Same with me (Uber, I'm Canadian, ordered from Amazon.ca). I will definitely post on here when mine is updated but same deal. I got the Priority shipping... so my estimate for delivery is Nov 3-4

Moi aussi.

And based on the cheap Canadian price compared to Amazon USA, I'm pessimistically expecting the usual random heartbreak Canadians face when buying things online...

EdgeFest said:
Want a good laugh? This is an actual review on iTunes right now. This is the album they creatively ran out of gas on? LMFAO!!!!!

Beleive it or not alot of u2 fans felt the same way when AB came out. It's hard to understand the impact nowadays since the album is part of their musical history but almost all the u2 fans i knew then hated the album. Almost everyone in my high school loved them. They felt AB was a spit in their faces.To add insult to injury they then decided not to play the live standards like gloria, sBs, nyd, electric co., etc.
It was a great time for u2 fans and also a dark time other fans. I loved it. I was rebellious at time and here's my favorite band rebelling with me.

Beleive it or not alot of u2 fans felt the same way when AB came out. It's hard to understand the impact nowadays since the album is part of their musical history but almost all the u2 fans i knew then hated the album. Almost everyone in my high school loved them. They felt AB was a spit in their faces.To add insult to injury they then decided not to play the live standards like gloria, sBs, nyd, electric co., etc.
It was a great time for u2 fans and also a dark time other fans. I loved it. I was rebellious at time and here's my favorite band rebelling with me.

Fair enough, but for anyone at ANY stage to have said there were "no fresh sounds" is ridiculous. That's the very reason that a lot of fans freaked out in the first place! Because it sounded unlike the U2 they were used to.

Achtung Baby caught many 80s U2 fans off guard. We had come to expect a certain vibe from them and it was hard to fathom that they wanted to leave JT behind. Of course, the sheer awesomeness of the music overcame that in the end, but it did take some getting used to..the "no fresh sounds" thing is absolute crap though. It was SO fresh that it was way out there (compared to what was expected from them)

jmelrose said:
Re: "Mastered For iTunes"

From: http://productionadvice.co.uk/mastered-for-itunes/=
(BTW, the standard bitrate for iTunes is 256kbps. 128 is SO 2 years ago... :) )

This is part of a bigger article, referenced above, where the author was disparaging "Mastered For iTunes" as hype, but then received some additional information.

Update: Meaningless hype ? Actually no…
Scott from Masterdisc left a comment below shedding some extra light on this subject – I’m adding it here because lots of people don’t read the comments ! Thanks to Scott for taking the time to reply.

“The goal of the unique AAC master of the Chili Peppers album was to make it sound as close to the CD as possible. The ears involved in the process felt it was a success. Pick up the CD and compare to the AAC file with your ears. It’s really damn close.

Keep in mind, I’m not addressing whether or not you like the sound of the CD. It was RR’s goal to make the Itunes file as true to the sound of the CD as possible despite the data reduction. A lot of time, effort and careful listening went into this project. This was not just media hype.”

So, my guess that “Maybe the tracks were even mastered [through a real-time AAC encode/decoder ?] to optimise them for a downloadable file-format rather than CD” was along the right lines.

How sad and ironic that Rick Rubin asked for so much time, effort and careful listening just to accurately reproduce pointless clipping distortion…

(By the way, for those care about these details, I’m calling it “clipping” distortion because that’s what it sounds like to me – looking at the file it isn’t heavily visually clipped, which suggests the mixes were already distorted when they were supplied for mastering – which was the case for Death Magnetic, too.)

On a semi-related note: http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=46980_0_2_0_C

Yeah I ordered from Amazon.ca Uber Deluxe and I'm in the same boat..not shipped yet. :huh:

Estimated shipping date is still today Nov 1st and delivery is estimated for tomorrow..:| God I hope there are no screw ups..:|

Yeah I ordered from Amazon.ca Uber Deluxe and I'm in the same boat..not shipped yet. :huh:

Estimated shipping date is still today Nov 1st and delivery is estimated for tomorrow..:| God I hope there are no screw ups..:|

How much do I love that as a Canadian ordering from Amazon.ca and paying for the fastest shipping possible, I get it AFTER the Americans get it (our priority option estimate is 2-3 days). Sigh. Guess they don't have distribution up here, but it still makes me mad. That being said, I can't complain THAT much because for whatever reason it was still way cheaper here than Amazon.com.

Re: Achtung Baby box set

Bought the Super Deluxe Edition at HMV Toronto this morning. It is $124.99 at HMV. Sunrise has it at $129.99. Both stores did not receive the Uber Deluxe Edition. They indicated they may receive it within 2 weeks but are not sure. HMV has the uber edition listed at $460 + tax. Sunrise would not tell me the price (he says it has fluctuated so he won't say until its in the stores - whatever that means).

I was on the fence on what edition to buy. I missed out on the amazon.ca price. I ended up buying the Super Deluxe because like every music purchase I have made for the past 5 years, I end up converting it and putting it on my IPOD. I can't remember the last time I listened to my CD's. The other U2 box sets are sitting on my shelf as well collecting dust.

I have a pretty big vinyl collection but I don't think I would play Achtung Baby. One of the issues I have with vinyl is a lot of the albums that came out in the compact disc era (1990 onwards) are double albums with 2-3 songs per side. It is too much of a hassle to keep getting up and changing sides after 10-13 minutes of music. I find it hard to get into the album.

I hope everyone ends up enjoying their purchase regardless of what version they got!!

Btw - has anyone gone throught the box set. Any chance the original mix of Night and Day is on the box set (either on the DVD's or CD)?

Got my Uber Deluxe first thing this morning!! Was only able to play with it for a few minutes since I am at work but I feel like a kid on Christmas morning! I can't wait to get home tonight and pour through it all in detail. I did find time to take a few pics of the sunglasses and post them: http://www.u2interference.com/forum...-incredible-bono-shades-thread-210531-32.html, just scroll to the bottom of the page.

Also, I found this video on YouTube made by the packaging company that shows the entire Uber set being opened and reviewed: U2 Achtung Baby Über Deluxe box opening unpacking - YouTube

O.K. gotta get back to work so I can pay for this thing!

soctheo said:
Bought the Super Deluxe Edition at HMV Toronto this morning. It is $124.99 at HMV. Sunrise has it at $129.99. Both stores did not receive the Uber Deluxe Edition. They indicated they may receive it within 2 weeks but are not sure. HMV has the uber edition listed at $460 + tax. Sunrise would not tell me the price (he says it has fluctuated so he won't say until its in the stores - whatever that means).

I was on the fence on what edition to buy. I missed out on the amazon.ca price. I ended up buying the Super Deluxe because like every music purchase I have made for the past 5 years, I end up converting it and putting it on my IPOD. I can't remember the last time I listened to my CD's. The other U2 box sets are sitting on my shelf as well collecting dust.

I have a pretty big vinyl collection but I don't think I would play Achtung Baby. One of the issues I have with vinyl is a lot of the albums that came out in the compact disc era (1990 onwards) are double albums with 2-3 songs per side. It is too much of a hassle to keep getting up and changing sides after 10-13 minutes of music. I find it hard to get into the album.

I hope everyone ends up enjoying their purchase regardless of what version they got!!

Btw - has anyone gone throught the box set. Any chance the original mix of Night and Day is on the box set (either on the DVD's or CD)?

No.

Amazon.ca: achtung baby uber deluxe

:crack:

curiosity about the canadian amazon site got the better of me . . . $850 canadian dollars :ohmy: . . .U2.com never looked so good :lol:

Actually, it is a Portugal seller on the Canadian site. The box is not actually available on the Cdn. site.

Correct. That is not Amazon.ca themselves.

It certainly was available on Amazon.ca originally though but they stopped with pre-orders and showed in unavailable about a month ago if memory serves. I ordered mine on August 6 (like I say, when The Edge was still 49).

Mine is sitting in my cart "shipping soon" with a cost of $308.99. Cheapest anywhere. :up:

Listening to the 180 gram vinyl. Never heard it like this before. Amazing! The tubes in my old McIntosh amp are swirling with yellow and blue light. U2 will never top this.

Ditto

Having missed out on Amazon.ca, and being unprepared to wait for Chapters/Indigo to get stock (they're selling for $118) I also got my copy from HMV (Thornhill not Toronto). I've got my 2 yr old to thank for it. She was up at 2am at which time it became possible to reserve copies. Thornhill got 2 copies total, downtown Toronto 14. By the time i collected mine the other Thornhill copy was also reserved. Expect the same story across Canada.

Me so happy (just don't tell the wife). :reject:

Just opened my Super and I freaked the shit out once I had it in my hands! Today feels like Christmas day. :lol: I am now importing the CDs into my iTunes and then I am going to listen, at last! :hyper::hyper::hyper: I'm thinking of going back to Kindergarten with the Kindergarten disc then working my way through the B-sides and unreleased tracks. This should be one fun day.

Just opened my Super and I freaked the shit out once I had it in my hands! Today feels like Christmas day. :lol: I am now importing the CDs into my iTunes and then I am going to listen, at last! :hyper::hyper::hyper: I'm thinking of going back to Kindergarten with the Kindergarten disc then working my way through the B-sides and unreleased tracks. This should be one fun day.

Mine's on it's way! I can't wait to just hold this in my hands!

Re: "Mastered For iTunes"

From: http://productionadvice.co.uk/mastered-for-itunes/=
(BTW, the standard bitrate for iTunes is 256kbps. 128 is SO 2 years ago... :) )

This is part of a bigger article, referenced above, where the author was disparaging "Mastered For iTunes" as hype, but then received some additional information.

Update: Meaningless hype ? Actually no…
Scott from Masterdisc left a comment below shedding some extra light on this subject – I’m adding it here because lots of people don’t read the comments ! Thanks to Scott for taking the time to reply.

“The goal of the unique AAC master of the Chili Peppers album was to make it sound as close to the CD as possible. The ears involved in the process felt it was a success. Pick up the CD and compare to the AAC file with your ears. It’s really damn close.

Keep in mind, I’m not addressing whether or not you like the sound of the CD. It was RR’s goal to make the Itunes file as true to the sound of the CD as possible despite the data reduction. A lot of time, effort and careful listening went into this project. This was not just media hype.”

So, my guess that “Maybe the tracks were even mastered [through a real-time AAC encode/decoder ?] to optimise them for a downloadable file-format rather than CD” was along the right lines.

How sad and ironic that Rick Rubin asked for so much time, effort and careful listening just to accurately reproduce pointless clipping distortion…

(By the way, for those care about these details, I’m calling it “clipping” distortion because that’s what it sounds like to me – looking at the file it isn’t heavily visually clipped, which suggests the mixes were already distorted when they were supplied for mastering – which was the case for Death Magnetic, too.)

Hmm, that's interesting. I think that's a good idea actually, considering CDs are going down in popularity, and if i eventually have to resort to downloading via iTunes, i would still like to have a quality sounding product.

Amazon is still saying Shipping Soon on my AB deluxe edition :sad: this happening with anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom