2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone see their official Facebook page? They just posted for USA and Canada: "...See you soon"
[emoji7][emoji106]?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope it's still arenas for 2016. Can't stand stadiums for shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll say this... The arena shows are great. Gives an opportunity to be really close with the band.

That said... In 3 Meadowlands shows on 360 they were able to play to more people than they were able to in 8 MSG shows; and by about 80,000+ tickets.

This lead directly to the incredible demand, crazy scalper issues, and some devastated fans.

There are pluses and minuses to each scenario.

I'd love a mix of arenas and stadiums. Arenas in areas they haven't played ie in North America. Stadium shows where they have.

Did Vertigo's arena stage go to Europe or was that all the outdoor, bigger one?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

For at least the last 25 years, there has been one recurring discussion for a U2 tour: Setlist variation. It's has practically become a U2 fan tradition. After all this time, you'd think that folks would accept the fact that U2 doesn't alter their setlists too much. Obviously, this doesn't stop the fans from attending the shows. But, the complaints about setlists are funny as shit. I went to one show this tour (NYC 3) and, in a effort to remain surprised, I pretty much avoided any videos of performances or setlist postings. I didn't really check out the setlist postings until the first NYC show. I'm glad I did this because when they played their classic songs their renditions of them still seemed fresh and new.

For at least the last 25 years, there has been one recurring discussion for a U2 tour: Setlist variation. It's has practically become a U2 fan tradition. After all this time, you'd think that folks would accept the fact that U2 doesn't alter their setlists too much. Obviously, this doesn't stop the fans from attending the shows. But, the complaints about setlists are funny as shit. I went to one show this tour (NYC 3) and, in a effort to remain surprised, I pretty much avoided any videos of performances or setlist postings. I didn't really check out the setlist postings until the first NYC show. I'm glad I did this because when they played their classic songs their renditions of them still seemed fresh and new.

Bullet seemed like a brand new song.

I did a pretty good job reminding myself this tour that it's not about me and the songs I want to hear. Just try to enjoy the enthusiasm of the crowd for the songs I didn't want to hear (MW, BD) because it was there. 6 shows and good to great crowds for all of them.

:up:

I will say it again most bands don't even have 25 songs they can play. I like to guess that 90% of musical acts who tour play same songs over and over due to lack of choice.

Quick look at a cool band like foo fighters and it seemed they hit about 15 of same songs each night. Pearl Jam and Bruce are rare birds. And I assume Phish but not my bag. DMB last time I saw them I was like 23 so I don't remember.

Anyway with so many moving parts on stage they have to plan it out.

You can get spoiled by Pearl Jam. They do an excellent job of incorporating their new stuff with a varied setlist. Hopefully the next time they come to NYC, they play the Garden. Last time around, they played in Brooklyn. Me no likey. :wink:

After U2, Pearl Jam are my favorite band.

Some people mentioned that although this leg had the most variety, it felt more static than other tours. Could be because the first half of the show is exactly the same every night with the exception of the 2nd slot. The only real variation is the e- stage.

It may not look like it, but this is probably their most highly choreographed tour since Zoo TV. Bono has to do a lot of things on stage -- be in the right place at the right time, while also sing, pose for the camera, remember lyrics, rock out, be charismatic, connect with the audience, actually interact with the visuals, and lead the other three. The static set list makes all this possible. It's their choice to compose a show like this, one with a clear narrative from A to B -- and it seems highly appropriate given the new material and its degree of specificity.

As for the second half of the show, if you've actually been there, you realize what a string flow it has, and how it gathers momentum and power. That doesn't happen by accident.

I will say it again most bands don't even have 25 songs they can play. I like to guess that 90% of musical acts who tour play same songs over and over due to lack of choice.

Quick look at a cool band like foo fighters and it seemed they hit about 15 of same songs each night. Pearl Jam and Bruce are rare birds. And I assume Phish but not my bag. DMB last time I saw them I was like 23 so I don't remember.

Anyway with so many moving parts on stage they have to plan it out.

On the Foo Fighters board, there's also a thread devoted to set list variation and how they don't do enough to vary the setlists. Which is funny, because they're last tour actually seemed to have longer sets and a bit more variation. In any case, the fans there are now talking about how there are too many covers and jams done on certain songs. Only three of the band's new tracks on their latest album are actually being played regularly too, which is a bit surprising.

Otherwise, it's many of the same things said here. You even have someone saying that they should do away with videos and such at the shows, since that somehow will translate into different sets automatically. :D

Love it! Fans love to complain. As a sports talk radio fan, I watched complaining literally become a profession. sports talk went from local thing to nationally 24/7 ESPN non stop crazy land. It started slowly when I was younger and by the 90s, holy shit, bitching had become the norm.

Pearl Jam is playing a giant NYC great lawn concert, but you have to become a member of the Wall Street Movement to get a ticket...

It may not look like it, but this is probably their most highly choreographed tour since Zoo TV. Bono has to do a lot of things on stage -- be in the right place at the right time, while also sing, pose for the camera, remember lyrics, rock out, be charismatic, connect with the audience, actually interact with the visuals, and lead the other three. The static set list makes all this possible. It's their choice to compose a show like this, one with a clear narrative from A to B -- and it seems highly appropriate given the new material and its degree of specificity.

As for the second half of the show, if you've actually been there, you realize what a string flow it has, and how it gathers momentum and power. That doesn't happen by accident.

Exactly. A U2 show has very high expectations. They can't have an off-night. Varying the setlist is great for us hardcore fans but we're probably 20- 25 percent of the crowd. They want to make the casual fans squeal and convert the apathetic people who were dragged by a spouse.

They come up with a flow that creates magic and like to replicate that experience each night like a Broadway play.

Love it! Fans love to complain. As a sports talk radio fan, I watched complaining literally become a profession. sports talk went from local thing to nationally 24/7 ESPN non stop crazy land. It started slowly when I was younger and by the 90s, holy shit, bitching had become the norm.

Pearl Jam is playing a giant NYC great lawn concert, but you have to become a member of the Wall Street Movement to get a ticket...

or have a wife who works for a major sponsor of the concert :ohmy:

Yeah. Outside of Pearl Jam, pretty much every band I see in concert doesn't vary their setlists a whole lot. Also, U2 play a longer show than most as well. With Coldplay, your lucky to get 21 songs. I have to say, I was impressed with the number of songs I saw through my 6 shows, including AIWIY, Bad, 40, California, Volcano and When Love Comes to Town.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

convert the apathetic people who were dragged by a spouse.

They come up with a flow that creates magic and like to replicate that experience each night like a Broadway play.

This is exactly what happened to my partner, who is now an utter convert, despite previously holding contempt for Bono, the band's music and the idea of seeing them live.

You could not have put it any better. This is a show, designed for optimum impact to the most amount of people every night.

What a tremendous success indeed.

At least U2 aren't doing 19 songs like on the 3rd leg of elevation! That sucked!

Fuck I haven't seen Pearl Jam is so god damn long... it may have been 15 years now. How did that happen? My memory is that I never understood one word Eddie Vedder said between songs, but he sang like an angel... on meth. f

Note to self -- become friends with Headache's wife. Mrs. Headache.

As a U2 fan, it's a big mistake not to go to the show based on seeing the setlist. This show is incredible.

All of this. Of the 8 shows over the three tours I have seen, I+E is my favorite.

And Gabe :lol:

A funny observation. I'm also a big fan of DMB. No, I'm not a late '90s frat boy clinging to the past days of hackeesack and calling people "brau". I was always a fan of the music, not the DMB douchebag fan culture. Anyway, they play an entirely different setlist every night. Different openers, different closers, different songs seguing into one another... yet fans still complain about the lack of setlist variety. "Ugh, out of the 12 shows I saw this year, they played "Two Step" at 5 of them!" I always tell them that they're lucky to get what they get, but they aren't convinced.

I don't really mind hearing the "Greatest Hits" while I'm at the concert. Beautiful Day and Mysterious Ways surprised me this year, because the crowd was really into those songs, and as a result so was I. That said, I wish I could hear more deep cuts for sure.

Anyway, they play an entirely different setlist every night. Different openers, different closers, different songs seguing into one another... yet fans still complain about the lack of setlist variety. "Ugh, out of the 12 shows I saw this year, they played "Two Step" at 5 of them!" I always tell them that they're lucky to get what they get, but they aren't convinced.

:lol: This reminds me of the debate we had awhile ago on what even constituted a 'rarity'. One person even said that a song didn't constitute a rarity if they had seen it live before...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom